Titans' Haynesworth stomps on helmetless lineman

oz615

I just made references to this in another thread,but after seing the replay of the incident when i renturned from the game,i say he should be suspend for the rest of the season and a very heavy fime,it's bad enough if you do that censored.gif w/ his helmet on,but to do that censored.gif w/ it off,that is beyond uncalled for.

Tackle ejected for stomping on head

Tackle ejected for stomping on head

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was ejected early in the third quarter Sunday after he kicked Dallas center Andre Gurode in the face. Now the tackle expects to be punished and knows he deserves it.

"What I did out there was disgusting," Haynesworth said. "It doesn't matter what the league does to me. The way I feel right now, you just can't describe it."

Julius Jones had just scored on a 5-yard run, putting Dallas up 20-6 in what wound up as a 45-14 victory. Gurode's helmet came off, and Haynesworth, standing over him, used his right foot to kick Gurode in the head.

Gurode said they hadn't been talking or having any exchanges that led to Haynesworth kicking him twice. He received stitches above his forehead and beneath his eye.

"In all my years of football, this has never happened to me. I've never been kicked in the face like this, and I've never seen anybody kick nobody else in the face," Gurode said.

A flag was thrown, and Haynesworth followed an official toward the Titans' sideline, protesting.

Haynesworth pulled off his helmet and slammed it to the ground, prompting another flag. Referee Jerome Boger disqualified Haynesworth, and the player walked off the field after talking briefly with Titans coach Jeff Fisher.

The coach called Haynesworth's actions unacceptable and promised he would be punished by the Titans even if the NFL disciplines him.

"It's ridiculous to get to that point. Two back-to-back penalties like that, there's no place for it," Fisher said.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like all Fisher was upset about was the penalties.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

This is the NFL's Todd Bertuzzi moment, no?

Except Gurode doesn't have a broken neck and will play again.

Right, apples and oranges.

However, the guy did require something like 30 stiches....nasty.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Now, maybe I'm overreacting here, but I think he needs a $25K fine, a lengthy suspension, and 30 days jail time for the assault charge.

i'm a titans fan, and i couldn't agree more.

fisher was BLOWING UP on fat albert, too.

This is the NFL's Todd Bertuzzi moment, no?

Except Gurode doesn't have a broken neck and will play again.

Right, apples and oranges.

However, the guy did require something like 30 stiches....nasty.

You know an inch here or there and maybe he strikes the temple or an eye, this was very dangerous and there is no way he should be allowed to play for atleast 4 weeks.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Titans should cut him. There's no place for that in any sport. The NFL should at least suspend him for the rest of the season. If some other team wants him next year he can be their problem. I know it won't happen but he should be gone for good.

BB52Big.jpg

I know a lot of yall remember that fight Clemson and South Carolina got into a couple years ago...the first I heard about this, saw this, I immediately thought of the front page photo of a Clemson player kicking a Carolina guy in the head, as well as Marcus Vick stomping dude from Louisville in the Gator Bowl.

dude needs to be away from football for a while.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'd say keep him away from football, period. If it were my league, this guy would have three choices:

Get a real job

Play in the CFL

Play in the AFL.

'Cause he ain't comin back to the NFL.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

I've harped on people here for comically overreacting to acts like this, but my goodness, he stepped on a guy's face with spikes on. How is that not going to get him a lengthy suspension? If they suspend him for 4 games or more, I do not think that would be out of line.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Titans should cut him.

i'd agree, if not for the cap implications.

we're just now coming out of salary cap hell.

i really don't want fat albert to hurt us more than he already has.

He should be charged with assault. He should be cut.

If I were to kick someone in the face at work, I'm certain I'd be arrested, and wouldn't have a job the next day. It should be no different for athletes.

I completely agree with you here. However, with professional sports in the US AND Canada things are different when stuff like this happens during a game, which I don't like at all. I'll bring up the Steve Moore/Todd Bertuzzi incident in this case...

If the NFL doesn't want backlash, they should suspend him for the rest of the year without pay and Gurode should file assault charges against him.

This is outlandish and should not be tolerated in ANY sports ANYWHERE! The NHL screwed up big time with the Bertuzzi case and let's hope the NFL doesn't make the same mistake, because in the long run it could be very damaging to the sport and the league. Gurode will obviously still be able to play football, luckily, therefore I don't think Haynesworth should be barred from playing in the NFL again.

Just my two cents though, and this coming from a Titans fan.

Suspension, for sure.

Arrest? Ehh.. I think there is a difference between real life and a sports field. These are guys paid to be aggressive and mean. They are full or Testosterone, adrenaline, and in some case, steriods.

The league and the team need to do a very effective job in teaching him the lesson, and proving to others it wont be tollerated.

The whole "getting the law involved" has always bothered me. You reward aggressive, strong, mean, violent behavior, but then as soon as it crosses a line, want to throw the guy in jail. Seems odd to me. If it was premeditated or took place over a long period of time, I could see it more, but this was 3 seconds of stupidity in an aggressive game. Not jail-worthy. Fines, suspensions, and maybe compensation-lawsuit worthy, but not jailtime.

WiB, your work doesnt pay you to hit people. Big difference there.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I enjoyed the halftime show of the Sunday Night game when they brought this up. Peter King came on and started talking about how Haynesworth should be punished severely. King's idea of severe punishment? No suspension and a $25,000 fine. I think Cris Collinsworth almost leapt out of his chair to backhand him, and then said that suspension was a necessity. I don't think I've ever said this before, but, you go, Cris Collinsworth.

This guy needs a fine and at least 6 games out, without pay. If the NFL wants to fine a coach $50k a game for wearing a suit on the sidelines, jamming your cleats into someone's face should result in something a wee bit harsher than that.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived