Australian Football League 2007 thread

Primal

Looks like West Coast will be wearing a WA state jumper - announced on Nine news tonight, apparently.

Pretty poor decision there by the AFL and West Coast. State of origin jumpers are for players who earn the right to wear the jumper and to represent their state, take Chris Judd for example, he's a Victorian so I can imagine Freo supporters and other non West Coast WA people not being impressed by this.

On the Port heritage jumper we still haven't heard what the hells going on, I have a feeling that the AFL are going to say no :mad:

None of them are officially approved until the marketing dept gives them the OK.

This is done at a meeting, the date of which is unrecorded, as far as I can see.

Perhaps only those attending the meeting know when it's on, or perhaps it's to hide the fact that the meeting is probably held at a pub.

Whenever it is, it's only a rubber stamp anyway, as the clubs only submit jumpers that have verbal approval for.

And the Prison Bar, as shown above, is the jumper Port have put up.

Of this I am very confident.

I'm only guessing on the WA State jumper West Coast will use, but if it's really 70's theme, then it has to be this one.

WCE-Heritage-2007.gif

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty poor decision there by the AFL and West Coast. State of origin jumpers are for players who earn the right to wear the jumper and to represent their state, take Chris Judd for example, he's a Victorian so I can imagine Freo supporters and other non West Coast WA people not being impressed by this.

There have been some interesting discussions on this point over at EaglesFlyingHigh. Apparently the rules of qualification for SOO status were quite different in the 70s, so simply playing the game in the west got your foot at least halfway in the door back then. And of course the club is saying all the right things (not a state team, but this is where we came from, Vics saw us as a state team in the VFL, etc etc etc)

I'd still rather wear an Eagles jumper, but what the hell. Suddenly makes my purchase of that woollen WA jumper look like a good idea, hey Mero? :) It will definitely be a sash design, although it is claimed to be the jumper worn in October 1977, which doesn't match up with footyjumpers.com.

After watching a few games live and on TV, I have to say that I'm 100% convinced on the merits of the (predominantly white) away strip. I was at the Bulldogs v Richmond game, and it was brilliant to see the stark difference in uniforms, and watching Carlton in their white gear on TV was great.

I believe that the AFL should now FORCE clubs to come up with a significantly different jumper for clash weekends ... sorry Essendon and Richmond fans (including myself). Sure, clubs will have a hissy fit about tradition and thier constitution, but the AFL runs the game and they should make this happen.

I would actually go one step further and suggest that the home side shoud wear their normal colours and the away side should wear white (or yellow, grey, silver, etc.) ALL SEASON ... just like in other leagues around the world. If a club has to adopt another colour to maket this work, then that should happen too ... and since white is not a colour, no big deal.

I am a Richmond member, and have been for 12 years, and I think the Richmond alternate is a joke. I voted for the yellow strip, but would be just as happy with silver or white. The club isn't changing their identity, they're simply following league rules ... and hopefully making a few extra bucks on the side.

That's my two cents.

Gregmond

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

After watching a few games live and on TV, I have to say that I'm 100% convinced on the merits of the (predominantly white) away strip. I was at the Bulldogs v Richmond game, and it was brilliant to see the stark difference in uniforms, and watching Carlton in their white gear on TV was great.

I believe that the AFL should now FORCE clubs to come up with a significantly different jumper for clash weekends ... sorry Essendon and Richmond fans (including myself). Sure, clubs will have a hissy fit about tradition and thier constitution, but the AFL runs the game and they should make this happen.

I would actually go one step further and suggest that the home side shoud wear their normal colours and the away side should wear white (or yellow, grey, silver, etc.) ALL SEASON ... just like in other leagues around the world. If a club has to adopt another colour to maket this work, then that should happen too ... and since white is not a colour, no big deal.

I am a Richmond member, and have been for 12 years, and I think the Richmond alternate is a joke. I voted for the yellow strip, but would be just as happy with silver or white. The club isn't changing their identity, they're simply following league rules ... and hopefully making a few extra bucks on the side.

That's my two cents.

Gregmond

Well, they make about $4 per jumper.

And they had a very good rule for determining who should wear Clash jumpers.

That's not to say they shouldn't introduce them, in some cases they need them.

However, the rule they used to have, where the team who 'makes the clash resolves the clash' is a far fairer system than 'everyone has to comply because we say so.'

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

very good question, alpha...heh, the youth of Australia (at least one, anyway) didn't do half bad, a shame it's merely a one-off.

kinda sad, really, that this jumper's existence, at least IMO, highlights how substandard their regular rags are. and nothin needs to be said about the disgrace to sports that is their clash. yup, as far as Port's jumpers go, the bar is pretty low if you ask me, all anybody needed to do aesthetically is put out something that didn't suck. compared to their real jumpers, I like this one far better; on its own merits, it's a pretty good idea. Heh, I got a little ego, I think my stuff's superior to any of em, but then I don't go to an Adelaide area school so I wouldn't be eligible anyway :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Why can't Rbk draw up something decent like this. I mean if a priamry school kid can draw something decent, why can't Rbk?

Because Reebok hires designers, not football fans.

This one looked good on field - with white shorts it would make a much nicer clash strip than the incumbent.

Port to wear the black and white PB jumper....

but the PAFC can't wear it in any future away heritage games, we can never wear any stripes and we can't purchase the jumper, not exactly happy with the agreement made.

I think its good for the sense that you can atleast wear the jumper in home heritage round games, except this years.

The AFL will delibrately schedule Port-Collingwood on Heritage Round in Adelaide. Just wait for it.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I think its good for the sense that you can atleast wear the jumper in home heritage round games, except this years.

The AFL will delibrately schedule Port-Collingwood on Heritage Round in Adelaide. Just wait for it.

Yep I can see it alread.

Port to wear the black and white PB jumper....

but the PAFC can't wear it in any future away heritage games, we can never wear any stripes and we can't purchase the jumper, not exactly happy with the agreement made.

Yeah, this was agreed some weeks ago.

And was on here some weeks ago too.

It's only now that the AFL have officially told the journos.

All that you read about it was made up by one journo in particular, and run with by everyone else.

They were never going to wear anything else. And at no stage have they ever told Port an official No, only that Collingwood, the Black & White team in the comp would be involved in the discussion, mostly to prevent bad press.

If you read every comment I've posted about it, you'll find I've been saying this for probably a month.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

i must get ports jumper and add it to my jumper collection (all of them are kangaroos jumpers)

They ain't selling them commercially, so unless you have 3 grand to bid on a game worn jumper I don't like your chances.

i must get ports jumper and add it to my jumper collection (all of them are kangaroos jumpers)

They ain't selling them commercially, so unless you have 3 grand to bid on a game worn jumper I don't like your chances.

Do you mean the Planet Teal one they wore last week, or the Heritage jumper?

Because I am pretty sure the Heritage jumper will be on sale a week or two before the Round.

As for the Home jumper, he could order that online, so you're not talking about that one.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived