Australian Football League 2007 thread

Primal

It was our home game.

The game was terrible, we were as bad as the umpiring, which at crucial times was costly (Lloyd's two goals- delibrate, holding the man and his dive in the middle) but besides that we should have killed ya's in the first quarter. Our kicking was poor, Kosi did :censored: all, and Fisher went down injured which weakened our already weakened backline. Why we played Gwilt over Voss amazes me, Voss can play, proven it in his 150 odd games. I don't know why Brooks didn't play, he could have been handy instead of Gwilt and Kosi, even though he is pretty much a dud. But the Voss one annoys me. We had more of the ball and when it went inside 50 it went out again, we had no one apart from Riewoldt and Milne actually looking like putting in any effort in the forward line. Now we got Port next week. I wonder what will happen there.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was our home game.

All the proponents of Clash jumpers always talk about moving ahead with the times, and disregarding history.

The factremains that the concept of Home and Away is also a past tradition that bears little resemblance to the advantage is used to represent.

There's StKilda, playing Essendon on the Home ground of both of them, with more Essendon supporters in the ground than StKilda supporters.

Then Essendon are slated to wear the same Clash jumper with two teams they used to share a Home ground with before they moved to greener (browner) pastures. Richmond & Melbourne.

Home team means nothing other than who gets the gate receipts.

The AFL had a good rule on Clashing jumpers.

Clubs who created a Clash resolved it by providing a Clash jumper.

West Coast & Brisbane did it to avoid clashing with Hawthorn, Port had to adopt Teal & Silver just to join the competition and avoid the clash with Collingwood.

And these teams also did well selling their Away/Clash jumpers.

But that is no reason to force clubs who don't want to, simply because poorer clubs thought it was a good money making idea.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

The crowd was 50-50 each way if anything.

Why does Essendon and to a further extent Collingwood, think they are bigger than anyone else that they cant change there jumper for a couple of games. I mean, Collingwood have chagned there jumper before, several times. You guys haven't and thats fine, but if theres a clash, I believe, regardless of history of the clubs, the away team has to change. Saints and Dons, both established in 1873 and 1872 respectively, same amount of history really, on-field success or lack of it is another story.

I think in about 2000 the AFL had a rule of if a team has white on their jumper they wear white shorts against non-white teams. I didn't really like that, the away team has to wear white shorts. It does look strange to see the Saints wear white shorts with the hot cross bun jumper of the day.

The rule you mentioned on who created the clash, would mean Collingwood (est. 1892) would have to change for most Victorian clubs. Wouldn't Eddie just love that.

The crowd was 50-50 each way if anything.

Why does Essendon and to a further extent Collingwood, think they are bigger than anyone else that they cant change there jumper for a couple of games. I mean, Collingwood have chagned there jumper before, several times. You guys haven't and thats fine, but if theres a clash, I believe, regardless of history of the clubs, the away team has to change. Saints and Dons, both established in 1873 and 1872 respectively, same amount of history really, on-field success or lack of it is another story.

I think in about 2000 the AFL had a rule of if a team has white on their jumper they wear white shorts against non-white teams. I didn't really like that, the away team has to wear white shorts. It does look strange to see the Saints wear white shorts with the hot cross bun jumper of the day.

The rule you mentioned on who created the clash, would mean Collingwood (est. 1892) would have to change for most Victorian clubs. Wouldn't Eddie just love that.

You're picking and choosing which parts of history to keep and which parts to throw away.

And you missed my point.

Teams who bring in new jumpers need to also provide a Clash alternative in case their new jumper clashes with an existing jumper.

So Collingwood, who changed at the end of 2000, would not have to wear a Clash jumper against StKilda who dropped their Red Home jumpers at the end of 2001.

Had StKilda not gone back to the tricolour, there would be no problem.

As for the White shorts thing, I thought it was great.

How does it solve a problem between StKilda and Essendon for Essendon to weat White shorts.

I think it's only because you're used to Coloured at Home, White away that it doesn't make sense.

Had the AFL had the intelligence to recognise the problem back in 2001, they would have said to StKilda, well, if you're dropping the Crusader jumper, you have to wear something else against Collingwood because their new Home jumpers look too similar to the tricolour.

They might not have dropped the Crusader, or re-designed it.

Either way, why should clubs like StKilda deciding they want to look like Collingwood mean Collingwood are expected to follow suit? Simply because StKilda are listed as the Home team, probably scheduled at the MCG for crowd purposes, which is Collingwood's Home ground, and not StKilda's.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

What so how are St Kilda trying to look like Collingwood? We've worn that jumper since the 50's, and had about 5 years of it as an away jumper.

St Kilda did not bring in a new jumper at the end of 2001. We did in 1957 or whenever. I don't even see a bloody clash between St Kilda and Collingwood, I mean, theres red on one and not on the other. For 120 years of out 130 year existance we have worn red, white and black vertically striped jumpers.

There wasn't a problem in 2001, there wasn't a problem in 2002 when we made the away our home and home our away. I think we wore yellow agaisnt you guys once or twice. But thank god the club realised what happens in the EPL does not work in AFL and the fans won't like it.

If each club just bloody provided an away strip then no one would complain its that Collingwood and Essendon think they are bigger than anyone else that they can tell the AFL and other clubs they wont change.

I don't see what home ground has to do with it, you we play you at the MCG in our home game, we wear our home jumper w/ black shorts.

If it was the other way round at Telstra Dome, your home game, we'd change, theres 9 clubs playing out of two venues for you to use the excise its our home ground is ridiculous, reality is that your going to play away games on your own ground and your going to have to change sometimes.

This whinging is bloody annoying, had enough of it.

End.

Come on, fellas. No need to get personal here.

FWIW, as someone without a dog in this fight, I think that rmered's solution is brilliant - the team that creates the clash must have a clash shirt available.

Simple yet elegant - teams that want to create clash jumpers, or to change their jumper frequently to boost merchandise sales or spur excitement, can do so. Teams that want to be left out of it aren't forced to follow suit.

Everybody ought to be happy with that.

Clash jumpers were brought in for away games. That is the idea of them.

So on that concept (team that creats clash changes)... how far back do we go? To the time the club was established or come into the league?

St Kilda, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne and Geelong or came into the league in 1897. There was no clash until circa 2002 - after most interstate clubs. Those 6 teams have hardly made any significant changes to their jumper in the time (apart from maybe us during the war, its always been red white and black vertical stripes).

I think, any system, apart from the away team changes idea, is flawed.

i hear that the heritage round is a 70's theme. do any of you know the jumpers that the teams will be wearing. will port be wearing the old port magpies jumper.

That won't affect certain teams like Carleton Blues. But were there any horrifically ghastly guernseys on the level of Houston Astros, Capitol Bullets, Colorado Caribous, and the World Football League's positional pants?

Freo, WCE, and the Crows are gonna have to pull something outta their collective asses, that much I know. Going club by club, looking at all the possibilities at footyjumpers.com:

Adelaide: probably a 70s SA State of Origin remake...heh, this one's gotta be better than last year's craptacular hodgepodge

Brisbane: as last year was a Brisbane Bears year, this year is a Fitzroy year. as they've already worn the old maroons, I'd expect the 1975 jumper (the "light maroon" jumper)

Carlton: a return of the older CFC monogram

Collingwood: black middle stripe, white number panel, black stripes on the side

Essendon: thinner sash

Bulldogs: I'd expect either the last two-band jumper or the earliest red band jumper. the latter differs from the 80s jumper in that its band is thinner and it used a collar

Freo: hm...good question. if it were 90s throwbacks, I'd love em to bust out the greens one more time, but it's 70s so who knows? heh, maybe they'll make something up (recalls fauxbacks the Texas Rangers wore in 93)

Geelong: essentially, theirs will look nearly identical to the current jumper, emphasis on nearly. I'd expect 4 stripes on the back instead of the current 2.

Hawthorn: they got a few options, I figure they'll go with one of the old gold-back versions.

Melbourne: only two choices here, really: navy, which was worn til the 74 campaign but would essentially be identical to the current set, or royal, which was worn for the remainder of the 70s. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on royal.

Kangaroos: either thicker stripes or pinstriping next to each stripe and a number panel in some form. essentially, it'll look so much like the current stripes that most folks won't notice

Port: in a perfect world, the prison bars. on my mama they better not wear those garbage clash jumpers for this.

Richmond: like Essendon, expect a thinner sash

St. Kilda: theirs will most likely look like their current duds, only with black cuffs and a black background on the St. K shield, though solid white cuffs are a distinct possibility.

Sydney: the old whites with red V

WCE: like Freo, good question.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Freo likely to wear a blue and white East Fremantle jumper

Or their 1995 Green Away jumper.

Adelaide aren't allowed to wear State jumpers, or they would have already.

Brisbane. Fitzroy 1996 confirmed.

Carlton. Same as 2006.

Collingwood Same as 2006, though the Block numbers might get up this time.

Essendon. Same as 2005

Freo as above

Geelong. White collar on same jumper

Hawthorn. Gold backs.

Melbourne Same as 2006

North. Same as 2006

Richmond. Same as 2005. Yellow shorts

Port Prison bar design

StKilda Same as 2006.

Sydney Same as 2006

West Coast Same as 2005

Footscray. 1954 design.

All in all, very disappointing on the jumpers front. But interesting to see what they do to celebrate it in other ways.

Come on, fellas. No need to get personal here.

FWIW, as someone without a dog in this fight, I think that rmered's solution is brilliant - the team that creates the clash must have a clash shirt available.

Simple yet elegant - teams that want to create clash jumpers, or to change their jumper frequently to boost merchandise sales or spur excitement, can do so. Teams that want to be left out of it aren't forced to follow suit.

Everybody ought to be happy with that.

Nah, we're mates.

There's just a bit of humourous banter, nothing sinister intended or taken, I'm sure.

As for the idea, I'd love to take credit for it. but the League had that rule as long ago as 1914.

And that was a bit before my time.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Mero have you heard anything regarding Port? Its getting a fair bit of media coverage here in SA and I can tell you us Port supporters are getting quite pissed off about this whole thing. I'm going over to Melbourne for heritage round even if we arent allowed to use the B&W. I can assure you us Port supporters won't lie down on this even if the club does :mad:

Mero have you heard anything regarding Port? Its getting a fair bit of media coverage here in SA and I can tell you us Port supporters are getting quite pissed off about this whole thing. I'm going over to Melbourne for heritage round even if we arent allowed to use the B&W. I can assure you us Port supporters won't lie down on this even if the club does :mad:

As I understand it, Port Adelaide are wearing the Prison Bars, and while all designs are in for approval, none have been signed off yet.

Which includes Essendon and Richmond basically wearing the jumpers they wear now.

The only people complaining and talking it up are the Port people, but even Collingwood people are saying they're fine with it as a once off, and not against them. Which I think is fair enough too.

The AFL have made no comment on it whatsoever, so I don't see why it's an issue.

Port-Heritage-2007-1.gif

PS You're coming over the Melbourne. I take it we're catching up for a beer...?

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived