Classic NFL uniforms

leedsunited

Why is there all that excess jersey material hanging off of players' arms? Didn't that result in endless grabbing, holding, and an overall slowing down of the players, given its impediment on aerodynamics?

Man, watching football in '91 must have sucked. :rolleyes:

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Why is there all that excess jersey material hanging off of players' arms? Didn't that result in endless grabbing, holding, and an overall slowing down of the players, given its impediment on aerodynamics?

Man, watching football in '91 must have sucked. :rolleyes:

Ha ha, so true!

Sometimes, what these athletic equipment manufacturers will have you believe in order to shell out big bucks every year is mindboggling.

Teams honestly look much better 15 years later.

Honestly, I must disagree.

Some teams look much better 15 years later, but the aesthetic as a whole was better 15 years ago. The player silhouette was certainly better, helped by the presence of actual sleeves.

I agree with Gothamite. Unfortunately, it appears that sleeves and any nice design element (ie COMPLETE shoulder stripes, sleeve stripes) has gone the way of the dinosaur in the name of "performance." Hell, even sleeve logos are shrinking (Seahawks, Dolphins, Cowboys, and Falcons come to mind).

Besides, can anyone honestly say that overall player performance has improved since 1991 due uniform modifications alone? Gimme a break.

Speaking on aesthetics only, I don't think the non-exsitant sleeve look some players wear today OR the sleeves just about the elbow look that you see there in 1991 are really great.

I like a nice tight sleeve that covers about half of the bicep.

It's not a problem to me when sleee stripes don't wrap all the way around if there is no sleeve to wrap around, but there needs to be enough height to fit the pattern in. Now, when a sleeve stripe CAN wrap around it should (like QBs who wear looser sleeves), and sleeve stripes should not change thicknesses from player to player (Like on the Redskins where the stripes vary from thin elastic to thick whatever on the longer sleeves).

After reading that article, I must say (and I said it then) #1, I miss Anaeas Williams (or howerver he spelled his first name), and second, I SORELY miss that paticular Cardinals set. Those things are absolutely GORGEOUS! The cardinal red, with the black trim in it, and the state flag on the sleeve (well I could say I miss sleeves PERIOD, but I digress)...even though the Cardinals have such a losing history, THOSE are CLASSIC. Dick "Night Train" Lane, Eric Metcalf, Dan Dierdorf, Seth Joyner, Larry Centers, the afrorementioned Williams, Pat Tillman...all of those guys took a turn inside those threads, and ALL OF THEM looked good in them. Arizona should SERIOUSLY develop those as an alt as soon as they are able to (I would say go back to them permanently, but what they have now isn't entirely bad--it's just a bit overdone.)

I also agree that the overall aesthetic (read: COLOR PALETTE) was much better in those days than they are now. These days, colors can tend to be too "trendy" (note the overusage of black and navy in recent years). Off the top of my head, there are only 3 teams in the league that use green (one being of the midnight variety), and NONE that use orange as a primary (ahem...BRONCOS!!! *COUGH COUGH*). Let's see...just off the top of my head, I count 3 green teams, two in purple, one in teal (which I LIKE btw), and three that use orange--well, Cleveland has orange HELMETS, so I'll give them a pass--along with being the only major pro sports team PERIOD to use BROWN (that alone merits praise). Unless there's one I'm missing somewhere, that's only seven of 32 teams that don't use some shade of either red or blue. (Okay, I guess I'll segregate the Seahawks from that group, now that they're swathed in that Puget Slate, and the Panthers, for using Ericcson cellphone blue in their palette.) So bring it to nine. NINE. Out of THIRTY-TWO. Now, we've also seen a trend of teams going to "darker" colors to look more "cool" and "intimidating"--the Seahawks (I loved the royal and kelly, but don't hate what they have now), the Rams (who should never switched in the first place) and the Denver Broncos (looked good at the time, but had we known that'd be a precursor of things to come, we ALL shoulda cried foul then!) and the Philadelphia Eagles, leaving behind kelly for midnight green. Oh...and the Buccaneers, who traded in creamsicle for pewter. But, in their defense, as much as I miss that garish orange, at least that look actually SUITS them...and they are the only major pro sports team to have any shade of gray in their official palette. They're pirates--they're SUPPOSED to look dark an intimidating. In fact, I think that change was pretty much a microcasm of the shift of the look of the league as a whole. Bright colors = fun, but soft, sorta. Darker colors = mean and intimidating. Witness the Broncos, Rams (whose logo isn't even CLOSE to intimidating), Eagles and Seahawks, probably coulda just left well enough alone.

Okay Imma shut up now...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That uni rules diagram is still around; I shot a pic of it in the Falcons' locker room during my Georgia Dome tour last year. They've added something about do-rags, but otherwise it's pretty much identical to the 1991 version. Here's a comparison:

1991:

uniformstandards_upload.jpg

2005:

IMG_4319.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I want to be on record as also preferring the general looks of 1991. I think the teams that have changed uniforms significantly for the better since then have only added minor number/accent color embellishments (49ers, Dolphins) or gone back to previous looks (Giants, Jets).

I think that had the Falcons, Cardinals, or Vikings never switched, they would certainly look credible today. However, they will definitely look out of place in 2016. They've guaranteed themselves a future need to switch their uniforms -- which is most likely by design.

But the article is mostly about the fit of jerseys, and I would definitely agree with others. Sleeves looked nice, once upon a time. I never had a problem with do-rags either.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm the editor of The Loss Column and the writer of the piece, and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone at this board for checking them out. I had a feeling people would dig those pics, and I'm happy to have the chance to share them far and wide.

I hope you'll bookmark and continue to read the site and pass it around. We don't cover uni-related stuff as often as some other sites, but we do talk about it and there's plenty of other good stuff every week. Feel free to shoot me an email with suggestions and/or criticisms.

Thanks again,

Neal

I'm the editor of The Loss Column and the writer of the piece, and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone at this board for checking them out. I had a feeling people would dig those pics, and I'm happy to have the chance to share them far and wide.

I hope you'll bookmark and continue to read the site and pass it around. We don't cover uni-related stuff as often as some other sites, but we do talk about it and there's plenty of other good stuff every week. Feel free to shoot me an email with suggestions and/or criticisms.

Thanks again,

Neal

Darn fine site, Neal. I enjoyed browsing it and I think your jersey observations are bang on. And a great name for the web site -- it is, of course, The All Important Loss Column! :)

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

That uni rules diagram is still around; I shot a pic of it in the Falcons' locker room during my Georgia Dome tour last year. They've added something about do-rags, but otherwise it's pretty much identical to the 1991 version. Here's a comparison:

1991:

uniformstandards_upload.jpg

2005:

IMG_4319.jpg

all i think of when i see the newly, added "violation" is deion sanders.....

neondeion.gif

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I also agree that the overall aesthetic (read: COLOR PALETTE) was much better in those days than they are now. These days, colors can tend to be too "trendy" (note the overusage of black and navy in recent years). Off the top of my head, there are only 3 teams in the league that use green (one being of the midnight variety), and NONE that use orange as a primary (ahem...BRONCOS!!! *COUGH COUGH*). Let's see...just off the top of my head, I count 3 green teams, two in purple, one in teal (which I LIKE btw), and three that use orange--well, Cleveland has orange HELMETS, so I'll give them a pass--along with being the only major pro sports team PERIOD to use BROWN (that alone merits praise). Unless there's one I'm missing somewhere, that's only seven of 32 teams that don't use some shade of either red or blue.

I completely agree about the color palletes. There are so many good combinations left, it's really a shame the NFL hasn't diversified its look more. The league has too many duplications of color combos. For instance:

Only 2 teams use purple. Why do both pair gold (granted, of different types) with it?

How about silver? Or a medium blue? Or, like Clemson, orange?

The best orange jersey (I'll grant the the Fins and the Browns are just God-awful) belonged to the Broncos, but the no longer where them?

Maroon is not used by any team. It can be paired with gold, orange, red, silver, black, even the league favorite blue. Many options, but not used.

We had to suffer the Fins orange jerseys, but have never been able to see them wear a navy alt.

It's funny, but while the NFLE has some of the worst uniforms, I think they have some of the best...and unigue...color schemes: Frankfort (purple, orange, red), Hamburg (teal, dark blue), Rhein (maroon, black, gold), Barcelona (dk green, red, yellow) and Berlin (green, orange, tan and black). They are more distinctive and unique than their senior counterparts. You would think a junior league would resemble the senior league, but instead they have their own looks while many NFL teams replicate each other. Strange.

And lastly, poor Lime Green. They looked good on the Orlando Thunder, would look good on the Seahawks as an alt, but that will probably never happen since they've embrased monochromism.

I really like the Pats current look (I know, I know...many of you hate it). But at the same time, I miss the old Pats look. The 2006 Fins logo looks better, but the uniforms do not. And as much as I hate the Steelers...they just don't look as mean and menacing as they did with the old block numbers...they just underscored bluecollar brutality, but in a good way! ;) And lastly, when they had a chance to modernize and fix the Cards, they left yellow/gold of the unis when it could have been used to tie the unis and logo together better. *Thump!* Okay, now I'm off my soapbox...

Thanks again,

Neal

Darn fine site, Neal. I enjoyed browsing it and I think your jersey observations are bang on. And a great name for the web site -- it is, of course, The All Important Loss Column! :)

Thanks!

Archived