NHL 06 oddity..

Old School Fool

I was playing NHL 06 a minute ago as the Penguins, and it zoomed in on the Goalie and I couldn't help but noticing his mask was using the very happy and scarf wearing Penguin from the teams beginning. :therock:

wronglogowhatbq6.jpg

Even weirder is that half the crowd was wearing the Lemieux Era jerseys, and I didn't see anybody wearing the 98 aways that the team had on in game. :hockeysmiley:

P.S., Retro jersey or not the goalie wears the current helmet design in this game.

2nd P.S., I smell what The Rock is cookin'.

bSLCtu2.png

More to the point, why the hell does Marc Andre Fleury wear yellow-gold pads (even in real life)?? Someone should tell him the Pens switched to Vegas gold.

black and yellow are the colors of the cape breton screaming eagles... he had yellow pads with cape breton, then wore them in his NHL debut... those ugly loud pads sorta became his trademark.

i hope he never changed them. i hope he wears them if he gets traded somewhere like toronto, that uses zero yellow.

fleury_marc_andre_eagles.jpg

I agree, I love the pads. If he goes to any other team, he should basically do what he has now and take the brightest color he can. I guess with Toronto, some nice royal blue pads with white or silver trim would look nice.

And in the NHL games, it doesn't matter what uniform your team is wearing, the goalies pads are essentially default for all. If you're the yellow Canucks, Cloutier(since you're playing '06...in the dark ages :D ) will still wear his navy/red/silver pads.

More to the point, why the hell does Marc Andre Fleury wear yellow-gold pads (even in real life)?? Someone should tell him the Pens switched to Vegas gold.

The bright yellow pads are to draw the shooter's eye away from the negative space (i.e. where the goalie isn't) in order to supposedly give Fleury a visual advantage one on one.

black and yellow are the colors of the cape breton screaming eagles... he had yellow pads with cape breton, then wore them in his NHL debut... those ugly loud pads sorta became his trademark.

i hope he never changed them. i hope he wears them if he gets traded somewhere like toronto, that uses zero yellow.

fleury_marc_andre_eagles.jpg

He's been wearing them since at least September 2002, the year before he was drafted and before he played for Canada's junior team. The bits of gray in the pads were also from the Eagles uniforms (though they officially changed the uniforms this season to the Penguins current jerseys, only with that same yellow instead of Penguins gold.)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I was playing NHL 06 a minute ago as the Penguins, and it zoomed in on the Goalie and I couldn't help but noticing his mask was using the very happy and scarf wearing Penguin from the teams beginning. :therock:

I don't know if this is why it's in NHL 06, but I noticed that Marc Andre Fleury's mask has that old scarf wearing penguin on it.

fleury.jpg

I don't know if this is why it's in NHL 06, but I noticed that Marc Andre Fleury's mask has that old scarf wearing penguin on it.

fleury.jpg

More than likely, it is. DiPietro's has stars in the game. Theodore's was somewhat similar as well.

I like the yellow pads. They almost look like leather. As for the masks, EA actually does make a point of getting most of the starting goaltender masks right. Most of them look pretty good.

As for the uniforms not being accurate, I guess I can take part of the blame for not calling them back and taking a job when they came looking for me. Oh well.

DEATH TO REEBOK

I like the yellow pads. They almost look like leather. As for the masks, EA actually does make a point of getting most of the starting goaltender masks right. Most of them look pretty good.

No they don't. Most of the default logos are generic representations of the starting goaltenders' masks. DiPietro's mask may have the stars like his mask in real life, but it's just adorned with the Islanders' logo on the forehead, unlike the real one. Backups have generic masks with thet eam logo, and Dominik Hasek has a CCM helmet with some strange-looking cage that may or may not really be protective in real life. Once upon a time (read: 1998-2002), EA tried to make them as accurate as possible, but I think the reason for them going to a kind-of-looks-like-the-real-thing-yet-isn't-the-real-thing policy there was a flap with the artist of one of the goalie's mask, so they went to the current system starting in 2003.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

No they don't. Most of the default logos are generic representations of the starting goaltenders' masks. DiPietro's mask may have the stars like his mask in real life, but it's just adorned with the Islanders' logo on the forehead, unlike the real one. Backups have generic masks with thet eam logo, and Dominik Hasek has a CCM helmet with some strange-looking cage that may or may not really be protective in real life. Once upon a time (read: 1998-2002), EA tried to make them as accurate as possible, but I think the reason for them going to a kind-of-looks-like-the-real-thing-yet-isn't-the-real-thing policy there was a flap with the artist of one of the goalie's mask, so they went to the current system starting in 2003.

You'll have to forgive me. I quit playing the game post 2004 and haven't been making addon's for awhile now. I hadn't noticed.

DEATH TO REEBOK

wronglogowhatbq6.jpg

Even weirder is that half the crowd was wearing the Lemieux Era jerseys, and I didn't see anybody wearing the 98 aways that the team had on in game. :hockeysmiley:

P.S., Retro jersey or not the goalie wears the current helmet design in this game.

2nd P.S., I smell what The Rock is cookin'.

I believe he had gold pads in his rookie year with the pens, however he only played a hand full of games and returned to his yellow, and although the yellow pads are sweet they look horible with the gold uniform. as for the yellow being a distraction, this is untrue. certain designs are used for distraction, the best case of this being Robert Eches pads, i believe there Eagle. Bulls eyes are against league rules, as a goaltender myself i wanted a pair of custom pads with bulls eyes bellow my knees, dead center, and although they were willing i was politely informed (as i had already known) it was a little unfair to the shooter (like i care) however i opted for the traditional look for cost purposes.

You'll have to forgive me. I quit playing the game post 2004 and haven't been making addon's for awhile now. I hadn't noticed.

Don't worry, you haven't missed much. :D

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

THat's basically true, 2004 was the last really good one, although I still enjoy 06 and 07.

I bout 2002 last weekend...oh, the memories. Laying out Claude Lemieux with Kris Draper felt so right.

THat's basically true, 2004 was the last really good one, although I still enjoy 06 and 07.

I bout 2002 last weekend...oh, the memories. Laying out Claude Lemieux with Kris Draper felt so right.

Still to this day my favourite NHL game is NHL 2001. I loved that game.

Archived