Red Auerbach Memorial Patch...

dirwuf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see something with a smoking cigar and either "RED" or "ARA" mixed in

i dont think that the NBA would use the cigar. being that they have many young kids as fans and that could be seen as promoting smoking.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

The Celtics will probably just have a black band on their uniforms, possibly with "ARA" in them. The last time major personnel within the organization died there was just a simple black band, I doubt there would be anything much different than that, no matter the notoreity of the deceased.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Given all he's done for the Celtics it'll be interesting to see what they do. Some sort of permanent tribute like the Bears' GSH would be a nice touch, but how do you do that on a basketball singlet? A black band on one of the shoulders (permanently)?

liverpool-1.png

I see something with a smoking cigar and either "RED" or "ARA" mixed in

i dont think that the NBA would use the cigar. being that they have many young kids as fans and that could be seen as promoting smoking.

The leprechaun in the logo is already smoking a pipe, so what's the harm in changing it to a cigar?

283717753_a9bf2d2ecc_o.gif

Anyhow, I think I like the idea of a red shamrock with his intials.

The Celtics retired #2 in honor of Red (#1 was retired in honor of their original owner, Walter Brown).

The only icon that was retired was the microphone for long time radio announcer Johnny Most.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Some sort of permanent tribute like the Bears' GSH would be a nice touch...

Great idea. If anyone deserves that, it's him.

You're right - if anyone does, Red does.

But, as important as he was, he doesn't.

He might have made the Celtics a force in basketball, but he wasn't anything like Halas in terms of his singular contribution to his club.

I love the idea of a red shamrock with his initials - we'll see.

The Celtics retired #2 in honor of Red (#1 was retired in honor of their original owner, Walter Brown).

The only icon that was retired was the microphone for long time radio announcer Johnny Most.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but at work we ran a piece on Red. There was B-roll footage that showed him in his later years raising a banner with his silhouette in gold smoking a cigar. Maybe this banner hangs in George Washington University's Smith Center?

it will be a black clover with "red" in green.

from boston.com:

The Celtics will wear a black clover leaf on their jerseys this season to honor Red Auerbach, who passed away on Saturday.

The word "Red" will be inscribed in green on the black clover, which will be on the right side of the jersey.

The team is still working on plans for Wednesday night's opener against New Orleans and how to honor their former coach and president.

He might have made the Celtics a force in basketball, but he wasn't anything like Halas in terms of his singular contribution to his club.

Over his nearly 57 years with team, Red served as coach, GM and eventually team president. Whether or not he contributed more to the Celts than Halas did to the Bears is debatable, but Red was the embodiment of the Boston Celtics and any permanant tribute would be appropriate.

Archived