Cleveland Fighting Walleye

ROCHitman

WTAM 1100 (Cleveland), The Cleveland Plain Dealer, and the US patent office have all confirmed that

the AHL's newest team will be named The Cleveland Fighting Walleye.

Can't wait to see this logo!!

from the US Patent Office:

Word Mark: FIGHTING WALLEYE

Serial Number 77044731

Filing Date November 15, 2006

Owner (APPLICANT) Cavaliers Hockey Holdings, LLC LTD LIAB CO DELAWARE 1 Center Court Cleveland OHIO 44115

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My uncle, who used to write hunting & fishing columns for the local WNY newspapers, would be unhappy if I didn't tell everyone that walleyes are one of the most popular fish to catch in the waters of the Great Lakes. While it is regionally appropriate, I'm not so sure it's a good name for a hockey team, although it does work for baseball somewhat.

Winnipeg Goldeyes logo

WTF is a Walleye? Whatever happened to the other team in Cleveland....was it the Barons?

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

I'm glad they went with fan approval of a name, because these names clearly didn't do it for the Cleveland masses:

Indians, Falcons, Thompson Products, Knights, Crusaders, Lumberjacks, and the 16 million attempts at being the Barons.

Good God, that's ridiculous. The first thing I thought of when I saw the topic was the old Minnesota Fighting Pike of the AFL. Yeah, that worked... for a season. At least now we'll have an answer to the hypothetical question of "Can a Cleveland hockey team actually draw worse than the most recent AHL Barons?"

I get the sneaking suspicion that the logo will put us all in a world of hurt.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

was "Steamers" taken?

No, but apparently after giving it some thought, the ownership group felt there were already enough brown-clad teams in Ohio. No confirmation on the rumor they were considering "corn yellow" as a secondary color.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Best walleye? Go to Tavern on Grand in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Thems good eats.

The best walleye I've ever had came fresh off the line after being caught on my dad's charter boat business on Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota.

But I might be biased. :P

Best walleye? Go to Tavern on Grand in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Thems good eats.

The best walleye I've ever had came fresh off the line after being caught on my dad's charter boat business on Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota.

But I might be biased. :P

Maybe they come from the same lake?

^_^

Walleye is good eats too!

Whomever is awarded the project of designing this logo better appreciate the opportunity... this could be a very cool logo... I think the name fits the city. Do we have a color scheme yet?

sports_sig_by_PWG44.jpg

Archived