Cleveland Fighting Walleye

ROCHitman

isnt a walleye a fish? what a dumb name

in reguards to your signature and avatar.......OKC is ok! its actually awesome and now you care about the sonics now that they have a chance of moving... it seems the reason they wanna move is because seattle isn't backing them up as well they should...

spacer.png

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay

1. I think moving the Norfolk Admirals to Rockford would be great for the Blackhawks.

2. Edmonton needs to put a team somewhere in Central Canada/USA or in the East. Given that San Antonio is the western most team, having them put a team near Edmonton would be putting a team in no mans land for the league.

3 Remember The failed Cincinnati Rail Raiders franchise was sold to a group in Windsor, Ontario and is supposed to bring the team there in a year or so.

4 I heard this a long time ago that when the New Jersey Devils move to their new arena in Hoboken or Newark or where ever they are moving to they might move the Lowell team to Continental Airlines Arena.

5. Hockey in Omaha sounds like it was a total failure, Calgary should move the team. Im not trying to play favorites, but the AHL should try Cincinnati again, just dont put them at US Bank Arena(The ECHL Cyclones are drawing almost less than 1000 on many nights), that place is just not a good hockey arena and its very pricey. Put them in the Gardens and make them cheap and family friendly like the Ducks were. Just dont try to do what the Rail Raiders attempted.

6 Putting a team in Orlando would not work. TD Waterhouse Centre kicked the Seals out a couple of years ago and the Magic are supposed to move to a new arena soon anyway with the TD being torn down. That and southern most team east of the Mississippi is Norfolk, who might move to Rockford.

7 Carolina Hurricanes have thought about moving the Albany River Rats to somewhere in the Carolinas.

8 Dont know why the AHL is going back to Quicken Loans arena. Not many people went to Barrons games

Signature intentionally left blank

It's interesting that there seems to be discord with many of the Western expansion & former IHL teams. Utah has temporarily demoted itself. San Antonio is a constant rumor to fold. Edmonton has lost its team. Omaha is doing poorly. There is much logic in Brian in Boston's opinio of the league splitting into 10 geographic divisions. It would certainly reduce travel costs to have a large number of teams no more than a 6-hour bus ride from one another.

As it is right now, affiliating with Lowell seems to be good, from a travel perspective. Manchester and Worcester are 45 minute drives. Providence is 1 hour. Portland and Hartford are 90 minutes. Springfield is 2 hours. Albany, 3. Bridgeport is between 2 and 3. That's 9 teams in a fairly close geographic area.

On a different point, there has been a rumor for a few years now that the Blackhawks would like to pull their affiliate out of Norfolk and to Chicago. This would leave the Thrashers without a home. One of the possibilities is that if Lowell performs well in attendance, and after the Devils eventual/inevitable move to New Jersey, the Thrashers will put their affiliate in Lowell.

Again, though, mostly conjecture and wishful thinking.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

On a different point, there has been a rumor for a few years now that the Blackhawks would like to pull their affiliate out of Norfolk and to Chicago.

Not bloody likely. There has been a cold relationship between the Blackhawks and Wolves ever since the Wolves came to town. There has been a bit of thawing in recent years (Hawks v. Wolves old-timer charity games,) but for the most part, the Hawks feel like the Wolves are infringing on their territory, and the Wolves take pride in being everything the Blackhawks aren't. Affordability and family-friendliness are key selling points. Every game, including home and playoff games, can be seen on local cable. And the Wolves have won as many championships in 12 seasons as the Hawks have in almost 80. In fact, when the Wolves had their first non-playoff season last year, the players came onto the ice after the final home game, and apologized to the fans. A couple of weeks later, I got a letter from the team, once again apologizing for their recent lack of success and promising a quick return to winning form. Yeah, that's gonna happen with the Hawks right about the time I stick my finger up my nose and start pulling out gold.

The Wolves are also good for bringing back that which the Blackhawks no longer have. 15 years ago, Wayne Messmer was rattling the rafters of the old barn with possibly the best National Anthem rendition ever. These days, he's part of the Wolves' ownership group and belts it out in Rosemont. It's no small coincidence that when the Hawks dismissed Pat Foley, the longtime voice of the team and perhaps the one person associated with the franchise in a positive light over the past several years, the Wolves signed him to be their new play-by-play man. Oh, and guess which team holds "Bobby Hull Night?" I'll give you a hint: it isn't done in the stadium where Number 9 hangs from the rafters.

Long story short: if the Wolves were to create any sort of formal association with the Hawks, it would be franchise suicide. The "F&@$ Bill Wirtz" crowd would immediately exit the scene, and for the majority of the rest of the Chicago hockey-watching public, being affiliated with the bumbling, stumbling, sometimes outright fan-hating Hawks is a stain, not a credential. And Wolves ownership is far too business-savvy to make a mistake like that.

Small note for jpslaphot: Edmonton didn't lose the Runners - they got robbed of them (the second screwing in the franchise's 2-year history.) They were drawing damn well during their lone lockout year. But Oilers ownership decided to voluntarily close up shop and make a push for a WHL team in Rexall instead. Lower operating costs, don't ya know.

Oh, and as for Brian in Boston's proposal: I'll get on board for that. But how about doing it Triple-A style, and going with a 16-team East Coast league, and a 14-team Midwestern league? 8-team playoff in each league, and the league winners go best-of-7 for the Calder Cup. Makes for better All-Star games than the current "Canada v. PlanetUSA" crap, too.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On the flip side, the AHL is completely inept when it comes to marketing. My hometown Admirals (Milwaukee, not Norfolk), used to reguarly draw over 7,000 when they were in the IHL. But since switching to the AHL, they've been lucky to get 4,000. In fact, I've always said that a UWM or Marquette hockey team would not only reguarly outdraw the Ads, but would probably steal fans from the Ads causing them to fold (there's a reason why some round of the Frozen Four comes to Milwaukee almost every year).

Totally agreed on the AHL's marketing. It seems that if the AHL could really have things exactly the way they wanted, theirs would be a 30-team bus league crammed entirely into the Northeast U.S., with teams happily drawing 2,000-3,000 fans a game to stay afloat. Yeah, that's how you expand the reach and appeal of your product. The imbalanced schedule is also ridiculous. Yes, I want to see Chicago play Milwaukee. No, I do not want to see them play 10 times every single season. I'm sure there are teams in the AHL that have been in the league since the 2001 IHL expansion that haven't come to town once. It's entirely possible the Wolves haven't played some of those teams ever. AHL attendance is on the slide league-wide, and the league's officials seem to not have a problem at all with that.

This really makes me wish that the successful western teams would break away and form their own independent league, perhaps with partial NHL affiliation. Chicago, Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, Peoria, Manitoba, Houston, Iowa, and maybe lure in long-time attendance kings Fort Wayne and Oklahoma City, along with 3 to 7 other mid-major Midwestern and southern markets. Unfortunately, I doubt there would be room for such a league, given the current state of minor league hockey. It ain't 1994 anymore.

Oh yea... the number of times the Ads play the Wolves is ridiculous. I remember there used to be a bus (that may or may not still be there) that took people in the Milwaukee area to the Ads-Wolves games in Rosemont, but nobody was going on the trips because they knew that it would only be another couple weeks before the next time the Wolves came to Milwaukee.

And I like your idea for a separate league (it even breaks down into perfect "Great Lakes" and "Heartland" divisions). You're right in that it's not 1994 but I still think it's something those teams should look into.

I know one thing, I want the IHL back. heh, I remember 10 years ago I saw Admirals ads on all the Milwaukee stations, and their games were even on TV occasionally. Neither's the case now.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

4 I heard this a long time ago that when the New Jersey Devils move to their new arena in Hoboken or Newark or where ever they are moving to they might move the Lowell team to Continental Airlines Arena.

No they won't. The Devils want the state to close CAA after they move out. CAA would be compitition for other events (like concerts and such) to the new arena in Newark on top of the other arenas in the area such as MSG. The Devils along with the city of NEwark is going to ask the governor of New Jersey to close CAA, which the state owns through NJSEA making the argument that CAA is ecomically viable and it won't be able to fill dates with events. The NJSEA president is fighting to keep CAA open, NJSEA and the Devils have not had a good buisness relationship in the past and the NJSEA has tried to stop the Newark plans in the past (some succesfully back when the Nets were involved too). There is no way the Devils are going to their farm team, which they own, in CAA as it would help fill dates for CAA and help keep it open. This isn't going to be a Philadelphia situation where Comcast owns both the arenas and hockey teams where it makes since to put the AHL team in the old arena.

Unfortunately, the I got done in by its own ambition. They exploded from being a Michigan-centered bus league into a continent-wide league going from Los Angeles to Orlando, and from Quebec down to Houston. A splashy feature in SI, nation-wide promotional contracts with the likes of Anheuser-Busch... good God, it was like the NHL, only without being the NHL. Unfortunately, 6 years of owners trying to write checks their butts couldn't cash caught up to everybody and... kaboom.

But God, what a fun run it was. I'd love to experience a time like that in minor league hockey again and see it sustain. I just don't know if that's possible anymore.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Unfortunately, the I got done in by its own ambition. They exploded from being a Michigan-centered bus league into a continent-wide league going from Los Angeles to Orlando, and from Quebec down to Houston. A splashy feature in SI, nation-wide promotional contracts with the likes of Anheuser-Busch... good God, it was like the NHL, only without being the NHL. Unfortunately, 6 years of owners trying to write checks their butts couldn't cash caught up to everybody and... kaboom.

But God, what a fun run it was. I'd love to experience a time like that in minor league hockey again and see it sustain. I just don't know if that's possible anymore.

I was always fascinated by the "I" including the league logo, which I thought was nice. Does anyone remember that puck with reflective material on it? I think it was called the "fire puck"

I still have a beaten up Detroit Vipers cap somewhere. That's was my favourite logo in the "I"

I saw, I came, I left.

And then there are those of us who just can't get enough of the one-year wonder that was the San Francisco Spiders...

And over here, on the opposite end of the spectrum, we have the San Antonio Dragons. Shudder. And that shudder is in regard to everything about the Dragons, not just the logo.

And I get a bit sticky in the pants region looking at their game jerseys.

TMI, perhaps?

The Phoenix Roadrunners - Salt Lake City Golden Eagles - San Diego Gulls was a trio of teams that cuold give Slap Shot a run for its money. I still remember the night the backup goalies went at it during a Phoenix/Salt Lake City game. I'm not a fight fan, but geesh, that was one hell of a game.

And then there are those of us who just can't get enough of the one-year wonder that was the San Francisco Spiders...

And over here, on the opposite end of the spectrum, we have the San Antonio Dragons. Shudder. And that shudder is in regard to everything about the Dragons, not just the logo.

At least the Dragons made it a year.

Albany Choppers?

I honestly believed the Russian Penguins had a longer season than Albany.

Albany Choppers?

I honestly believed the Russian Penguins had a longer season than Albany.

Oh yes, the Choppers. The brainchild of the genius owner who believed

1. The Fort Wayne Komets needed a complete logo and color scheme overhaul

2. Fort Wayne couldn't sustain a team, and a pot of gold was waiting in Albany

3. A sponsorship agreement with a supermarket chain would lead to all kinds of greatness

4. IHL hockey in the heart of AHL country would explode and thrive.

Half a season later... buh-bye. And another Komets team took its place, so Fort Wayne fans never missed a game, and now 8,000 of them a night pack a renovated War Memorial. Smart move.

Whither the Soviet Wings?

I agree the "name" sounds very strange. But, many teams are named after fish/fish type. They don't seem as dumb or odd, they are very regional. Walleye is a strange word as is, period. "Fighting Walleye" is a joke.

But... I did notice that the "Toledo MudHens" registered "Walleye" in Jan 2006 for hockey. It's an OHIO thing. Trust me. I guess it's better than Sheephead, Perch or Crappie!

The Cleveland Crappie?

Could be used to describe their attendance. :D Also ties in nicely with the "Steamers" joke on Page 1 of this thread.

Okay

1. I think moving the Norfolk Admirals to Rockford would be great for the Blackhawks.

2. Edmonton needs to put a team somewhere in Central Canada/USA or in the East. Given that San Antonio is the western most team, having them put a team near Edmonton would be putting a team in no mans land for the league.

3 Remember The failed Cincinnati Rail Raiders franchise was sold to a group in Windsor, Ontario and is supposed to bring the team there in a year or so.

5. Hockey in Omaha sounds like it was a total failure, Calgary should move the team. Im not trying to play favorites, but the AHL should try Cincinnati again, just dont put them at US Bank Arena(The ECHL Cyclones are drawing almost less than 1000 on many nights), that place is just not a good hockey arena and its very pricey. Put them in the Gardens and make them cheap and family friendly like the Ducks were. Just dont try to do what the Rail Raiders attempted.

6 Putting a team in Orlando would not work. TD Waterhouse Centre kicked the Seals out a couple of years ago and the Magic are supposed to move to a new arena soon anyway with the TD being torn down. That and southern most team east of the Mississippi is Norfolk, who might move to Rockford.

7 Carolina Hurricanes have thought about moving the Albany River Rats to somewhere in the Carolinas.

8 Dont know why the AHL is going back to Quicken Loans arena. Not many people went to Barrons games

1. It'd be an affiliation shift. Blackhawks don't own the NorAds and the NorAd ownership has stated they still plan on playing in Norfolk.

5. I just can't see anyone trying Cincinnati for awhile. I just can't after the last two years.

6. Norfolk's not moving...but yeah, Orlando's dumb

7. Theory right now is Carolina would replace Chicago in Norfolk. (River Rats are locally owned, so they aren't moving right now.

8. Because Dan Gilbert wants to fill 35-40 arena dates. That's why.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived