Cleveland Fighting Walleye

ROCHitman

And here I thought "Rail Raiders" was a clunky name.

Fighting Walleye?

I am very curious to see what franchise moves, or which affiliate takes the team.

They will be the currently dormant Utah AHL franchise.

Also, for those who can't remember the Fighting Pike, that's because they lasted all of one year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have a color scheme yet?

Well, given that Cavs ownership is fronting this thing, I'd say you should have your navy, wine, and gold fish-based hockey concepts at the ready.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Man o man... I just don't like it...

It does make sense at the same time. Lake Erie and Walley go hand in hand. Just like Montgomery w/ Bicuits and New Hampshire w/ FisherCats. I just don't like going from a cruddy "shark" Barons logo to another fish logo.

I was really hoping for something clever yet, cool to go with Cavaliers. It seems like a name for Single-A baseball or EIEIO Indoor Fooball...

But... at the same time, I see these other minor league team names and I guess it will fit in. NHL... NO!!! AHL... (minor) Sigh...we'll see.

Okay, I just came up with a concept for this. It's probably the espresso talking, but hear me out. Take the waves from the bottom of the old Lightning alt, make the water navy with white or royal wave highlights and have a leaping walleye as your jersey crest on a wine body. Deck out the rest of the sweater as you see fit. It... could... work!

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Good God, that's ridiculous. The first thing I thought of when I saw the topic was the old Minnesota Fighting Pike of the AFL. Yeah, that worked... for a season.

I don't remember them, but the Madison Muskies did pretty well for a decade:

Muskies.jpg

I have a madison Muskies player cap. Wow. i didn't know anybody remembered them.

Of all the fish, why pick the Minnesota state fish for a minor league team in Ohio?

Fighting Walleye?

I am very curious to see what franchise moves, or which affiliate takes the team.

I believe the dormant Utah Grizzlies franchise (not the ECHL team) is moving to Cleveland. As for an NHL affiliation, Columbus would obviously make sense, but the Blue Jackets are tied to the Syracuse Crunch for a few more years. Currently, the only NHL teams that do not have an AHL farm club of their own are Colorado, Edmonton, and Florida. That doesn't mean that Cleveland won't become affiliated with somebody else, but I would guess that either the Avalanche, Oilers, or Panthers would sign on.

"I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for $3,000. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up."

-Bob Uecker

Good God, that's ridiculous. The first thing I thought of when I saw the topic was the old Minnesota Fighting Pike of the AFL. Yeah, that worked... for a season.

I don't remember them, but the Madison Muskies did pretty well for a decade:

Muskies.jpg

I have a madison Muskies player cap. Wow. i didn't know anybody remembered them.

Of all the fish, why pick the Minnesota state fish for a minor league team in Ohio?

At their games the team used to encourage their fans to clap like Florida Gator fans do. Fun times, playing games against the Waterloo Diamonds and Kenosha Twins.

OK... I was bumping around TESS and I found "Fighting Walleye" registered to "Cavalier Hockey Holdings". So, it is registered as an AHL team name.

But... the good news is "Cleveland" is not attached to it at all. If I search with Cleveland, it does not come up. So, hopefully it is one of the nick-names registered along with others and the fans will vote or something. It doesn't mean that the Team Name is Officially "Fighting Walleye", just the "Fighting Walleye" is a registered and trade-marked unique name. It is almost impossible to find other registered nick-names associated with Cavalier Hockey Holdings because "Cleveland" is not linked to the nick names.

Or is there a way to search what else "Cavalier Hockey Holdings" may have registered?? Thanks in Advance! -BR

but there is no mention of this on the AHL website.

They're still too busy ROFLing over there to mention it. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Or is there a way to search what else "Cavalier Hockey Holdings" may have registered??

According to the USPTO database, the only trademark that Cavaliers Hockey Holdings has filed is Fighting Walleye. Further, the Cavaliers Operating Company hasn't filed for the protection of any trademarks linked to the new hockey team.

Fighting Walleye?

I believe the dormant Utah Grizzlies franchise (not the ECHL team) is moving to Cleveland. As for an NHL affiliation, Columbus would obviously make sense, but the Blue Jackets are tied to the Syracuse Crunch for a few more years. Currently, the only NHL teams that do not have an AHL farm club of their own are Colorado, Edmonton, and Florida. That doesn't mean that Cleveland won't become affiliated with somebody else, but I would guess that either the Avalanche, Oilers, or Panthers would sign on.

Buffalo and Florida share an affiliation in Rochester.

It's unlikely Buffalo would move to Cleveland, but Florida may.

I was holding out for a "Burning Rivers" type of nickname.

For those that don't know, the Cuyahoga river, which runs from Lake Erie through Cleveland and southward, was so poluuted in the early 1900's that it caught fire and burned.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I think Florida has plans for an Orlando franchise. I could've sworn I read that somewhere... or perhaps I'm just talking out of my back end. I think Colorado would be the best candidate for this new/old/soon-to-be-gone team. Edmonton would probably want to keep things north of the border. Also, Calgary may be in need of a new team, with the way things are going in Omaha.

Archived