Best Arenas/Stadiums in America

nugent4president

Here's a brief recap of this thread for those of you who haven't read it:

MLB: My favorite MLB team's stadium.

NHL: My favorite NHL team's stadium.

NFL: My favorite NFL team's stadium.

NBA: My favorite NBA team's stadium.

College: My alumni's/hometown team's stadium.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best MLB stadium is the new Busch stadium hands down. There's nothing better than watching a game in the middle of a August in a great stadium with a view of a national landmark (St. Louis Arch).

BTW people: don't be biased towards your favorite teams. <_<

Anyone mentioning a stadium OTHER than AT&T Park and/or Oriole Park at Camden Yards should take a trip to either of those ballparks first, and THEN make your pick. Absolutely classic and timeless ballparks. So much fun to be there you almost forget that you are there to watch the game.

Also, if you get a chance when you're in Baltimore take the stadium tour. Its not the greatest thing ever, but it is well done (plus you get to go on the field and stuff which is great for young kids)

...Oh, and I'm NOT a Giant or Orioles fan either, I'm an A's fan

I've been to both Camden yards and Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T/whatever-the-hell-they-call-it-now park, and i found Camden great (2nd best I've been to) but it was ruined by the fact that the OROILES SUCK.

As for AT&T, it was great but overdone. The park's features were fantastic, but it was way too busy all rolled together. Also, a phallic-looking Coca-Cola bottle at a ballpark in San Francisco? How about they shoot all white fireworks out of the top after a giants home run? (google the park to see what I'm talking about)

The Orioles do not suck they are respectfully bad. :P And I would like to know what is your favorite stadium that youv'e been to? PNC Park???

The only stadiums that even come close to PNC are San Fran's, Camden, San Diego, and possibly Fenway because of the history. You can't beat this view....

PITTSBURGH036.jpg

or this one (Sorry about the overhang, apperantly I am not to good of a photographer)

PITTSBURGH029.jpg

Those pics might actually make me want to take a trip to Pittsburgh.....maybe not :P

Seriously, one of the best parks that I've heard of and seen pics of, but never been to. Someone said that some of the best seats are actually in the UPPERDECK? Is this true? Something about being really close to the action and getting the best view of the skyline. I think I might just have to go there afterall.

I am no Stadium / Arena expert, but I have been to a good number of venues:

MLB:

Safeco Field; Dodger Stadium; Chase Field; Coors Field; Ameriquest Field; Minute Maid Park; Kauffman Stadium; Busch Stadium III; HHH Metrodome; Wrigley Field; US Cellular Field; Miller Park; Comerica Park; PNC Park; Old Veterans Stadium; Citizens Bank Park; Yankee Stadium; Fenway Park; Turner Field; Great American Ballpark; Rogers Centre; Oriole Park at Camden Yards; and Astrodome

BEST PARK: 'PNC Park' - Pittsburgh, PA - Well-Designed stadium. The view of downtown Pittsburgh is wonderful. Very intimate park.

WORST PARK: 'HHH Metrodome' - Minneapolis, MN - It is just a glorified slab of concrete with a white roof on top. The Twins are my team, and I am glad they are getting a new park in 2010.

NFL:

Qwest Field; Invesco Field; Arrowhead Stadium; Reliant Stadium; Astrodome; Superdome; Soldier Field, Old and New; HHH Metrodome; Ford Field; Georgia Dome; FedEx Field; Giants Stadium; Heinz Field; Ralph Wilson Stadium; Lincoln Financial Field; Paul Brown Stadium

BEST FIELD: 'Heinz Field' - Pittsburgh, PA - Very well designed, with a GREAT football feel. The unique yellow seats set it apart from it's peers. Very appealing to the eye.

CLOSE 2ND: 'Reliant Stadium' - Houston, TX - This place is HUGE. It dominates the sky compared to everything else around it, including the Astrodome next door. It is almost breath-taking.

NBA:

Key Arena; Pepsi Center; US Airways Arena; Toyota Center; FedEx Forum; Target Center; Bradley Center

BEST GYM: 'Conseco Fieldhouse' - Indianapolis, IN - although I haven't personally been to Conseco, I have heard it is heads above the rest. I hope to make it there someday.

WORST GYM: 'US Airways Arena' - Phoenix, AZ - If you like to feel claustrophobic, visit what is formerly known as America West Arena. It is a nice arena, but was build right before the generation of TRUE club and suite arenas. However, the exterior of the arena helps.

NHL:

Xcel Energy Center; Nationwide Arena, Mellon Arena; HSBC Arena; Verizon Center; Jobing.com Arena

BEST BARN: 'Xcel Energy Center' - St. Paul, MN - you bet I am bias towards the 'x.' However, how can you beat what is the best arena (Voted best by several publications) with the most knowledgeable fans in hockey?

WORST BARN: I would say Mellon Arena, however, because it is one of the last 'old' hockey barns around, I won't. I haven't been to enough hockey venues to make that call.

These are the ones i have been to. There are so many more I would like to see. I have seen a lot, but just not a game inside.

A great resource for learning more about stadiums is www.thesportsroadtrip.com - These guys know what they are talking about. They bring an un-bias opinion about all stadiums.

best

nfl:soldier feild come on that things like a space ship how can you not like that

Because...that thing is like a spaceship, maybe?

mlb: the cell (us cellular)

Yeah, that's believable.

worst

mlb: wrigley (UPGRADE NEEDED)

Why am I not surprised?

The best MLB stadium is the new Busch stadium hands down. There's nothing better than watching a game in the middle of a August in a great stadium with a view of a national landmark (St. Louis Arch).

BTW people: don't be biased towards your favorite teams. <_<

Anyone mentioning a stadium OTHER than AT&T Park and/or Oriole Park at Camden Yards should take a trip to either of those ballparks first, and THEN make your pick. Absolutely classic and timeless ballparks. So much fun to be there you almost forget that you are there to watch the game.

Also, if you get a chance when you're in Baltimore take the stadium tour. Its not the greatest thing ever, but it is well done (plus you get to go on the field and stuff which is great for young kids)

...Oh, and I'm NOT a Giant or Orioles fan either, I'm an A's fan

I've been to both Camden yards and Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T/whatever-the-hell-they-call-it-now park, and i found Camden great (2nd best I've been to) but it was ruined by the fact that the OROILES SUCK.

As for AT&T, it was great but overdone. The park's features were fantastic, but it was way too busy all rolled together. Also, a phallic-looking Coca-Cola bottle at a ballpark in San Francisco? How about they shoot all white fireworks out of the top after a giants home run? (google the park to see what I'm talking about)

The Orioles do not suck they are respectfully bad. :P And I would like to know what is your favorite stadium that youv'e been to? PNC Park???

The only stadiums that even come close to PNC are San Fran's, Camden, San Diego, and possibly Fenway because of the history. You can't beat this view....

or this one (Sorry about the overhang, apperantly I am not to good of a photographer)

Those pics might actually make me want to take a trip to Pittsburgh.....maybe not :P

Seriously, one of the best parks that I've heard of and seen pics of, but never been to. Someone said that some of the best seats are actually in the UPPERDECK? Is this true? Something about being really close to the action and getting the best view of the skyline. I think I might just have to go there afterall.

I sat in the lower bowl right behind 1st and the seats were great. I didn't go into the upperdeck but I walked around the lower bowl and all of those seats looked amazing.

Here are the rest of the pics I took in Pittsburgh.

saBS.png

I'm happy to say I didn't choose ANY of my team's stadiums in my picks. :D (All my teams have boring stadiums)

hi, i'm an architectural student, especially interested in stadium design...

the best MLB ballpark for me is PETCO, due to the location and styling. A lot of the "retro" parks to me are a bit tacky to be honest, and lack integrity, they are mostly facades designed to look 70 years older than they are... PETCO doesnt do this, and is a great (and cheap) place to watch a game...AT&T is the opposite,all postmodern and over the top, despite the great location (cold for night games though, especially upper deck!)

Dodger Stadium is a beautiful design, really pure...although Richard Neutra's Elysian Park Heights neighbourhood should have been built there - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chavez_Ravine

Both the KC Stadiums are simple and beautiful in my opinion, and the architectts there helped launch HNTB and HOK architects responsible for most of the world stadiums today...

Other stadia: Philips Arena is orginal, modern and innovative, unlike Dallas' Arena which is totally backward looking, i don't understand why more sports designs don't

Soldier Field looks great too, somewhere I think people have been prepared to spend more to create a truly iconic building (though there is a more historic precident of that being thte case in chicago...

Everyone should check out the HOK stadiums in Australia, they are beautiful, and huge at the same time...especially Telstra Stadium

Also check out the Saitama Super Arena, which can transform from a 38,000 football stadium to a 18,000 Basjetball Arena, and then a 5,000 theatre...amazing, limited space in japan leads to interesting problem solutions....sorry its so long!

BEST:

NHL: Mellon Arena

Okay, before you all blast me. The Mellon Arena is the oldest in the NHL. Its a very intimate place to watch a game. It has tons of history in hockey and entertainment. The place may stink and be falling apart, but were getting replaced soon {hopefully}.

mellonarena.jpg

MLB: PNC PARK

Heres Why...

pncpark1.jpg

not to mention the 14 straight losing seasons and still having huge turnouts for games, even on the crappiest weather days.

more later... I gotta go.

oBIgzrL.png

BEST:

Okay, before you all blast me. The Mellon Arena is the oldest in the NHL. Its a very intimate place to watch a game. It has tons of history in hockey and entertainment. The place may stink and be falling apart, but were getting replaced soon {hopefully}.

mellonarena.jpg

I like the Igloo, but wish they'd played hockey games with the roof open (I know it would been difficult, if not impossible...) - i think it was a brave desgin, from an era of daring and originality

Heres Why...

pncpark1.jpg

not to mention the 14 straight losing seasons and still having huge turnouts for games, even on the crappiest weather days.

That photo is gorgeous, I've got to get to Pittsburgh now...Hows Heinz Field BTW?

BEST:

mellonarena.jpg

I like the Igloo, but wish they'd played hockey games with the roof open (I know it would been difficult, if not impossible...) - i think it was a brave desgin, from an era of daring and originality

Heres Why...

pncpark1.jpg

That photo is gorgeous, I've got to get to Pittsburgh now...Hows Heinz Field BTW?

Heinz field is very good. No matter where you sit. Especially with the excitement that Steeler and Pitt fans generate.

Also, they wouldnt be able to play with the roof open because...

1. The new scoreboard is too heavy to open the roof

2. It cost way too much

3. It would have to get very cold.

4. The roof havent been open in a long time. If you were to see the motors and tracks, youd see theyre all rusted and beyond repair, so it would cost too much in replacement. Not to mention since the arena wasnt meant for hockey, the whole inside was renovated, and parts of the press boxes and seats might obscure the roof's path.

Hopefully, maybe, if we do end up getting a new arena, for the last game they can somehow open the roof one last time.

oBIgzrL.png

NHL: Nationwide Arena, I really like their whole experience, and the Arena District is great. I'm going back up there to go to the draft and do some stuff with family.

NBA: Charlotte Bobcats Arena, I like their scoreboard and how the arena is layed out. Looks very cool.

NFL: Soldier Field, I hate the Bears with a passion, but their stadium with those crazy designs looks so cool, I wish Cincy could steal it.

MLB: PNC, I watch the allstar thing (what ever its called) and It looked really nice.

NCAA H: Goggin Arena at Miami (OH), this is a homer because I've never really seen any other college arenas. But it is very nice and Miami is doing a good job with their program.

NCAA F: Out of all the Big Ten Stadiums (only teams I follow - OHIO mainly) I would have to say the OHIO Stadium. It's a great atmosphere with the 100,000+ cheering and yelling. especially when we play the team from up north. It has a great design and is modern yet dated. Great stadium, best on earth.

NCAA B: Fifth Third Arena, another homer, but UC has a great arena, getting old but still fun to go to. the only thing missing is coach Huggins, stupid UC....

Lebanon Warrior Football

LebanonWarriors3.jpg

BEST:

mellonarena.jpg

Heres Why...

pncpark1.jpg

You must not have seen a game at PNC lately. Every time I either watch a game played there on TV or look at the box score their attendence is around 12,000. 14,000 on a good day.

I'm glad someone agrees with me.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Best Auto-Racing track:

WW500_03-09.jpg

I ain't even telling you the last one.

:cry:

It's been a while since I've seen it, is it getting overgrown like I heard North Wilkesboro is?

probably, nobody really cares to keep up on old race tracks. Its a shame though, I've raced it on simulators and it's a great layout - some people still clamor to bring it back.

--------------

homer choices: Autzen Stadium for football, McArthur Court (which is the second-oldest D1 gym in the nation, and is truly a great place to see some basketball) for hoops, Safeco for baseball, and for racing? Either Indianapolis (imagine a 250,000-seat football stadium...yikes, I need to go badly) or the Circuit de la Sarthe, where the 24 Hours of Le Mans is held. Soccer would obviously be Emirates or Highbury too.

non-homer? the Pittsburgh stadiums for football and baseball look very impressive, and the Camp Nou is probably the most impressive cathedral in all of sports.

harperdc.gif

Baseball- PNC Park- As much as I hate Pittsburgh, their ballpark is the best

Football- Paul Brown Stadium- Ok so its a home venue for me, but Ive only been their once and it wasnt even a Bengals game(OSU and UC)

Basketball- Though Ive only been to 1 NBA game(a preseason game at UC) Conseco Fieldhouse gets my pick. I was just there on Saturday for the John Wooden Tradition, and it is an awesome basketball venue

Hockey- The Cincinnati Gardens- Yes it was built in 1949 and lacks modern technology, It was modeled after Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto and is great for a hockey game, even though it is currently hosting high school hockey right now, its still a way lot better than US Bank Arena

Soccer- I have never been to an MLS game, but I have been to some indoor games. I would have to say Columbus Crew Stadium, it started the whole Soccer specific venues for MLS.

College Football- Ohio Stadium(OSU)- nuff said

College basketball-Freedom Hall, Louisville. Dont ask why, I just think it looks great, even if it is Louisville

Racing- Indianapolis Moter Speedway- If you havent experienced the 500 in person, you are missing out!

Signature intentionally left blank

You people are all crazy

MLB

Best: Fenway Park, Shea Stadium, Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field

When these four get replaced with the 8,000 luxury and 25,000 club seat, quiet as a church, copycat wannabe retro's, it will be a bad day for the game of baseball.

and yes, I did throw Shea in there.....It's cold, ugly, mean, ruthless....everything a stadium should be. These new palaces are like the pink hats, for wusses.

The Best of the Pansy Parks: San Francisco and Pittsburgh.

Worst: GABP, The new Busch, Miller Park,

NFL

Best: Lambeau

Worst: The Linc (Because it replaced the Vet)

NBA

Best: MSG

Worst: They're all the same thing

NHL

Best: MSG

Worst: They're all the same thing

NCAAFB

Best: Tennessee

Worst: Idaho (play outside for crying out loud)

NCAABB

Best: Oregon, Duke

Worst: Boston College, Providence, Anywhere that is shared with a hockey team

Archived