Best Arenas/Stadiums in America

nugent4president

Football: For straight up history and atmosphere, nothing beats Lambeau. But as far as functionability, Ford Field has to be one of the best stadiums I've ever been to. I got a chance to actually sit inside during the Detroit Marathon (the finish was the 50-yard line). I was on the top row of the lower bowl and I felt like I was right on top of the field... it just has to be experienced to be appreciated.

Baseball: The only major league ballparks I've ever been to are County Stadium, Miller Park, Camden Yards and Comerica, so of those, I have to go with Miller Park. Though Comerica's in a much better location (Downtown Detroit vs a middle of nowhere valley in Milwaukee).

Basketball: U.S. Cellular Arena (The MECCA) in Milwaukee. All arenas built in the past 25 years are basically the same, so I'm choosing the only one that I've been to that was built before then. Not only is there not a bad seat in the house, but all the noise made by the fans bounces off the ceiling and walls to create one hell of a home court advantage. It's no coincidence that the Bucks went from perennial contenders to one of the NBA's worst teams after they went to the Bradley Center.

brew.png

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB:

Historicaly, I would have to choose Fenway. But I still have to say the best staduim to go and watch a game is at Petco Park in San Deigo

NFL:

I have a 3 way tie for this one. Beacuse of so much history I have to give a nod to Soilder Field home of da Bears. The next choice is the best place to go and watch a game, without a bad seat in the joint of Quest Field in Seattle. The final stop would be U. of Phoenix Staduim in Glendale. Its pretty unique and looks cool from the outside in.

NBA:

The nod here goes to America West Arena, in Phoenix. I love the way the floor and every thing blends together. Theres not a bad seat there. I have to give credit to Staples Center. And the small Key Arena, if you haven't seen a game there your missing out the atmoshpere is wonderful. The Seattle Center is great for pre-game hang out.

NCAA Football:

Wow so many great staduims to choose from. I like "The Horseshoe" and Martin Staduim at WSU pretty well too. I don't know where Texas plays but it looks pretty nice. And LA Colisum home of USC is pretty bitchin too.

NCAA Basketball:

Doesn't get any better than the Kamden Krazizes @ DUKE!!!

teams.gif

Someone be a World Champ, please!

Fantasy Football Keeper League.....PM me if you want to join!!

The Longhorns play in Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium, or DKR as we locals call it. It's really nice and old in a good way. It's really the only college facility I've seen a game at (besides the Cotton Bowl which is a DUMP) so I can't fairly compare it to anything else. DKR is currently going under a massive renovation, I hope they dont screw up the historical feel of the building.

royal_memorial_530.jpg

Correction...I've been to Kyle Field (Aggies) too. Nice, but nowhere near as nostalgic as DKR.

newsig.jpg

MLB:PNC PARK -just amazing. I've been to (PIT,BAL,CLE,TOR,WAS) and PNC is easily the best

NHL:Phillips Arena - I've only been to HSBC which is very nice.

NBA:Canseco Fieldhouse

NFL:Quest Field

NCAAB:Oregon's-Just looks so historic on tv it is really nice.

NCAAF:Texas A+M (Kyle Field) It is great with the 12th man and the steep stands.

saBS.png

BEST:

NHL/NBA Shared: Staples Center

NBA Only: Toyota Center

NHL Only: Nationwide Arena

NFL: Relient Stadium

MLB: Safco Field

WORST:

NHL/NBA Shared: Continental Airlines Arena

NBA Only: Arco Arena

NHL Only: Mellon Arena

NFL: Monster Park (Candlestick)

MLB: Tropicana Field

I've been to Fenway, Wrigley, the old Tiger Stadium, the Vet and Citizens Bank Park in Philly, Camden Yards, County Stadium, PacBell/SBC/ATT, Skydome and Shea. Heck, I practically live at Fenway during the summer.

Wrigley and Fenway are and always will be the best stadia because of their age, architecture, neighborhood location, history and the teams that play there.

Camden has its merits as the progeny of the 'modern retro' ballparks with its neoclassical features, urban revitilization efforts and adaptive reuse of existing buildings.

PacBell/SBC/ATT is up there as well for it's architectural styling, waterfront location with marina and the tradition of the Giants.

Dodger Stadium is up there for its setting in Chavez ravine, widely regarded as one of the most beautiful settings in all of baseball. With the recent renovations to orignal color schemes to boot, this is a must see on any true baseball afficionado's list of places to see.

Lastly, I will make a case for PNC as it is also held in wide regard as one of the best ballparks in terms of design, inimacy, and location.

patriotssignature.png

NHL/NBA Shared: Staples Center

Oh, there's no way. Sure, it's a nice, modern building. But the upper deck makes you feel like you're going to be ejected down onto the ice at some point, the pitch is much too steep. The concourses are very generic and antiseptic, there's no atmosphere whatsoever.

The list of buildings where I've seen pro or junior hockey games:

Allstate Arena, Chicago - Eh. The seats are small and mis-pointed. The lighting is very weird, strangely dark.

Kiel Center, St. Louis - Yeah, I know it's been renamed a couple of times, but it'll always be the Kiel to me. Very nice place, improved by the renovations a few years ago.

Kemper Arena, Kansas City -

Key Arena, Seattle - Decent place, but not set up well for hockey, given than they have to fold up a ton of seats to fit the rink in.

Market Square Arena, Indianapolis - A bit cavernous, but it was interesting because it was built a few stories above street level.

United Center, Chicago - Nice place, bad neighborhoodd.

Staples Center, Los Angeles - As I said, no atmosphere. Very generic and antiseptic.

St. Louis Arena - The old barn was a dump by time I saw games there, no doubt, but the atmosphere was great. You couldn't really hear the PA very well, partially because the sound system sucked, and partially because that building got SO LOUD

Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul - The X takes the cake in my mind. It's a great modern building with terrific atmosphere. You can tell that it was designed to be a real Minnesota hockey arena.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I can only rate stadiums/arenas where I've been. Of those, my favorites are...

PacBell/SBC - the setting is just unparalleled

Wrigley - the perfect old time ballpark

Autozone Park (Memphis) - the coolest minor league setting I've ever seen

The Superdome - only went once, when I was 11, but it blew me away. For it's heyday, it was spectacular.

Husky Stadium (Seattle) - absolutely beautiful, right on Lake Washington

One's I've never been to, but seem like they'd be the best...

Conseco Fieldhouse - the premier basketball-only arena

Michigan Stadium - I'd love to see the huge crowd in person

Lambeau - because, you know, it's Lambeau

PNC Park - I keep hearing it's the best of the new parks

So we have all been quite impressed with the new Cowboys stadium (and rightfully so). My question is what are you favorite baseball, football, and hockey/basketball arenas in the country right now? Please explain as well...we know you love the Niners, but you really don't love the Monster 'Stick, do you? Also, let's stick wtih building that are standing and/or house teams that matter at this point. Of course Boston Garden would be the best, but this is modern.

Baseball: Because of its setting, I love Pac Bell...er, SBC...er, AT&T Park

Football: Reliant Stadium in Houston is everything a park sould be, for now

Basketball/Hockey: It may finally host a playoff series of some kind this year as well. I'm a huge fan of the apartment building in Phillips Arena because it is so unique and allows many more seats in the bowl.

Who's got next?

I like any stadium/arena that's actually within the city proper. Bonus points for any that are actually downtown.

Suburban stadia/arenas out in the middle of nowhere and accessible only by some freeway offramp get no points from me, regardless of architecture or amenities.

I would vote for the following:

MLB - I am a huge fan of Jacobs Field in Cleveland and PNC in Pittsburgh. Wrigley and Fenway are great for the party atmosphere but if you are over 5ft tall the seats just kill your knees.

NHL - Nationwide Arena is a pretty cool place to watch a hockey game. Plus the arena district is great for pre-game activities.

NFL - I actually like Heinz field. Besides that fact that I don't like the Stillers, I think it's a cool place to watch a game.

NCAA - Rocky Top Tennessee baby! Neyland is a fantastic place for college football. Michigan is too big. The noise all escapes there. It's kind of boring.

NFL - 'Good Old' Municipal Stadium in Cleveland. You always had to beware of sitting behind poles in that place. Pandemonium Palace as the late great Nev Chandler once called it.

For Baseball Ill list the parks Ive seen games in:

Miller Park in Milwaukee is absolutely fantastic. The only thing wrong is the location- everything else is very, very nice. Even the fans of the forever bad Brewers are hardcore.

Wrigley is also great, just because of the history, but the stadium also has so much character.

Camden Yards is also fantastic, as well as Comerica but not at the level of the other two.

Tiger Stadium had a lot of character as well, but there's no denying it was getting pretty old and a replacement was inevitable.

SkyDome is nice, but nowhere near as nice as the others.

For the NFL there is no doubt it's Lambeau, even putting homerism aside.

For College Basketball Im sure it's Duke. For College Basketball Ive been to LA Colleseum and Michigan Stadium and their both fantastic, but Michigan is humongous.

NBA and NHL, just not too much character portrayed.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Best college basketball: I always hear about Duke, but what about the Dean Dome? I hear that's pretty good, too.

I think that's confusing the action that goes on inside the arena with the arena itself. Cameron's a dump, albeit a dump with a great atmosphere, and the Dean Dome isn't terrible by any means, but it certainly isn't spectacular. And the atmosphere's not even that great. Roy's made a lot of effort to fix the old wine and cheese atmosphere, but there's still a lot of progress yet to be made.

The best MLB stadium is the new Busch stadium hands down. There's nothing better than watching a game in the middle of a August in a great stadium with a view of a national landmark (St. Louis Arch).

BTW people: don't be biased towards your favorite teams. <_<

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

The best MLB stadium is the new Busch stadium hands down. There's nothing better than watching a game in the middle of a August in a great stadium with a view of a national landmark (St. Louis Arch).

BTW people: don't be biased towards your favorite teams. <_<

Anyone mentioning a stadium OTHER than AT&T Park and/or Oriole Park at Camden Yards should take a trip to either of those ballparks first, and THEN make your pick. Absolutely classic and timeless ballparks. So much fun to be there you almost forget that you are there to watch the game.

Also, if you get a chance when you're in Baltimore take the stadium tour. Its not the greatest thing ever, but it is well done (plus you get to go on the field and stuff which is great for young kids)

...Oh, and I'm NOT a Giant or Orioles fan either, I'm an A's fan ;)

Archived