Red Wings retired number banners

CJR

Cross-posting this from my own site since more people read here...

If an FSN Detroit promo ad is to be believed, it looks like the Red Wings will unveil a new banner style for their retired numbers when Steve Yzerman's #19 goes into the rafters on Tuesday. The ad showed a banner that looked like this:

possible_retired_19.gif

As opposed to the current ones visible at http://www.detroithockey.net/history/retired.php (and in my sig).

I've thought from the beginning that the Wings will be redesigning the banners and moving them around, since the current ones aren't in a position where a new banner can be raised from the ice surface to join the rest of them (they're off to the side, over seats).

This design is the same as the one used for banners celebrating the team's "lesser" accomplishments, so I wonder if those banners might be removed altogether.

If this is the new design, I wonder if the "C" will just be for Yzerman or if it will be included on the banners for Howe, Lindsay, Delvecchio and Abel, who also served as captain. I also wonder if the same version of the Winged Wheel would be used on all banners or if it would reflect the logo used during the era in which the player was a Red Wing.

I like the dates, too, but I do like this design. Unless they're keeping all the old "lesser" banners, in which case it's just too much.

Even if they don't redesign the banners, I hope they raise new ones that are bigger than the current ones, the same size as all the other banners the team has.

possible_retired_19.gif

I don't think you need the logo on there. If there is a red and white banner hanging in the rafters of Joe Louis Arena, I think it is pretty obvious that it is for the Red Wings. I think replacing the logo with the years of service is the way to go.

Vertically arched letters would be a nice touch. I think the dates really clutter things up (esp. for the players with multiple stints), and would be difficult to read if you were in the arena.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The existing ones are markedly better IMO, modeled after the jersey backs. But on one hand, it would seem lacking for Yzerman's in particular to not include a C, as he's been known simply as "The Captain" for decades. No other captain in team history has been so strongly identified with the role. On the other hand, you can't very well stick a C on something resembling a jersey back. Maybe the best solution is the rumored new model, with a healthier sized C where the logo is. The C in the top corner seems way too small.

I got confirmation tonight that there will be new banners for the first five retired numbers. No word on what they look like, just that the work was done. Also couldn't confirm that they'll be raised in a different place. For all I know, they won't re-raise the existing numbers at all, they'll be up in the rafters waiting for #19 already.

But on one hand, it would seem lacking for Yzerman's in particular to not include a C, as he's been known simply as "The Captain" for decades. No other captain in team history has been so strongly identified with the role.

That's true. I can't even remember who the captain was before Yzerman! :blink:

Danny Gare from '82 to '86.

-Rob Roy

In '97 they changed the past cup banners to look like the new one, and they did tonight with the retired number banners.

Although they are nice, I am not a fan of the change. I almost seems like Illitch wants everything to reflect that it happened on his watch.

Dan

Romeo MI

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I just watched the banner raised and it looks like the old ones, just added the logo in the left bottom and the C at the top. Clean and classy. I also liked the sweaters worn by the Wings during the warmups celebrating Yzerman's career.

I just watched the banner raised and it looks like the old ones, just added the logo in the left bottom and the C at the top. Clean and classy. I also liked the sweaters worn by the Wings during the warmups celebrating Yzerman's career.

Throwing in his Junior A jersey was a cool touch.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I don't really like Red Wings things, but...

...this is a good change. Clean and classy. Includes the logo and keeps the idea of the back of the jersey. They added the arched script, and it also includes the years, which is a cool touch, and the years look better the way they are applied here. It appears to me these banners are longer than the others.

Was Yzerman's the only banner with the 'C' even though they were all re-done?

The more I look at it, the more I am undecided about the placement of the Wing though. Kinda seems like they just stuck it there, and I think it could be dated shortly. I think, perhaps, a smaller wing that fit entirely in the white stripe might be a better choice.

Still, it's definitely an upgrade.

Anybody know where in the rafters these are hanging? Same as the old?

In '97 they changed the past cup banners to look like the new one, and they did tonight with the retired number banners.

Although they are nice, I am not a fan of the change. I almost seems like Illitch wants everything to reflect that it happened on his watch.

Except that Ilitch has raised retired numbers before and he didn't change the design then. He also kept the old "League Champions" banners.

Anybody know where in the rafters these are hanging? Same as the old?

They're a little closer to center ice and are actually over the ice surface. The old ones were over the seats. Specifically, they're directly across from Section 219, Row 16, Seat 14, 'cause that's where I was and I could only see the almost non-existant side of them as they were being raised. Not sure if that's their permanent placement, though. The Cup banners were also moved, seemingly to make room for lighting, so the reitred numbers might have just been raised to a convenient location and will be put somewhere more permanent later.

Archived