Atlanta Falcons hire....

floydnimrod

This had better be a false alarm. I don't think we've even interviewed the dude. And college coaches almost never have success in the NFL (Jimmy Johnson being the exception). If this is it, WTF.

From what I saw of him at Louisville it looks like the Falcons made a great hire. But this is not good for the Big East or Louisville.
For all we know, Petrino is getting out while the gettin's good -- I've heard a lot of talk that Louisville is supposed to fall off the map after this year.

LvZYtbZ.png

Petrino was rumored to be in the mix at Oakland..

"Early candidates to replace Art Shell are Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, former Giants coach and Raiders assistant Jim Fassel and Louisville coach Bobby Petrino, who turned down the job last January. Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and Fresno State coach Pat Hill also were candidates last year and could resurface again."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...SPGA2NDHSM1.DTL

Wonder if wants them to keep Shaub on the roster or are they going to trade him while they can get something in return.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Ok, the shock has worn off.

The offense is going to be WIDE ASS OPEN next year, Vick or Schaub. (More than likely Vick because Arthur Blank's like the biggest Vick supporter in the franchise...and it's good to have the owna in your corna.) Hopefully our offense is going to improve drastically and change drastically over what you've seen the past 3 years.

Defensively...Think June Jones/Jerry Glanville era, IMO. Not good.

So yeah, I give the hire a C+....for now.

Wow. So finally, the city of Louisville gets to stop being tortured by "Will he or won't he?" Petrino. The two years I lived there, there was non-stop paranoia over whether or not Bobby would leave. Finally, he's gone. Now I hope U of L can attract someone willing to stay instead of using the job as a springboard to something better.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I wonder what team he will back stab the Falcons for when he fails after two years <_<

So who's he burned so far? Carroll College?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Hope Louisville finds someone to replace Petrino. I think it is a solid hire by Atlanta.

Agreed, in my opinion Petrino always ran The Ville very professional and similar to a pro franchise, so moving to the college ranks should not be a problem for him.

Hope Louisville finds someone to replace Petrino. I think it is a solid hire by Atlanta.

Agreed, in my opinion Petrino always ran The Ville very professional and similar to a pro franchise, so moving to the college ranks should not be a problem for him.

Damn.

Now to find a solid D-Coordinator.

As for Louisville I don't think this will screw them like some people think. Going to the pros doesn't send the this program is second rate message that jumping to another college team does. Had he taken another college job that would have screwed the program. The new coach can possible use this to a recruiting advantage.

As for Petrino he will be back in the college game in 2 years. He seems to be like Spurrier IMO. I don't think his style of offense will translate well into the pro game and I don't think Vick will be able to run it. Heard on Sportscenter that the Falcons will probably keep Schaub but I don't think any coach would be able to pull Vick if needed with out it costing him his job because of Vick's contract. That and like FlameofAtlanta said the owner is a Vick supporter.

I think Spurrier is a poor comparison; Petrino ran perhaps the most pro-style offense in college football last year. Spurrier's schemes relied upon crazy (by NFL standards) formations and superior athletes, rather than schemes, for pass protection, not to mention the lack of a solid running game other than the Fred Taylor years. Petrino has always built a successful power-I running game with passing out of pro sets, using play-action and a variety of option routes - essentially what most successful NFL offensive coaches use.

If the Falcons hire an established D-coordinator, turn that half of the team over to him, and let Petrino focus on the offense, they will be good. That, plus drafting a massive run-stopping defensive tackle...

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I live in Louisville, and am one of the biggest Louisville Cardinal fans out there, and I have to admit, I understand what Petrino did. Bobby left for a team who is on the brink of success and within a year or two could be in the Super Bowl talks. Last year he was offered the Oakland Raiders coaching job, and I know he knew that taking that NFL job would have been career suicide. Louisville's typically been known for years as a basketball school, however, since Petrino has been here he has turned the football team into the primary athletic sport here in The Ville. I have no doubt in my mind he will be successful at the Atlanta Falcons.

He definately has turned this city upside down, as this is a college sports town, but I think most here understand it was always Bobby's dream to coach in the NFL. I'm just happy that unlike Kick Sabin with the Dolphins, Bobby left Louisville in much better shape then when he got here.

Did some research on Petrino...Turns out he was probably one of the best OCs in the Jacksonville Jaguars' short history. The years that he was OC, Mark Brunell and friends ripped up the league.

With that being said, I think he hired a good OC (Hue Jackson, WR coach of the Cincinnati Bengals) because now we know that the WRs WILL ACTUALLY CATCH BALLS THIS YEAR.

But, like Hedley said, we need to hire a FANTASTIC D Coordinator or we'll be the 2000 St. Louis Rams-Lite

I don't know about this. I'm not sure if Petrino will be able to use Michael Vick correctly. Maybe draft Brahm?

Nah, no reason to. Just use Matt Schaub as your quarterback. I think this is a stupid hire by the Falcons. Petrino is a good coach, but his system isn't right for the team...in fact, there aren't that many systems that are right for this team....

espnsig.gif

Archived