NHL going back to home whites in 2007-08

tomhunter8

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish they'd do what some of the European soccer leagues do. There's no "home" or "away" jersey, just "primary" (color) and "secondary (white)".

For example, the Devils are red. That's their color. They would wear red in every game except when the opponent would make it indistinguishable (say, Red Wings or Hurricanes), in which case the road team would have to wear white.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

BBTV hates darks at home. Every Flyers game looks like it's on a black and white TV. BRING BACK THE COLORED ROADS!!!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In the case of the Rangers, maybe they could do a Dallas Cowboys setup where they wear darks home and away, and only wear the whites when forced into them. I like New York's whites, though, with the striped shoulders.

I don't trust anyone who blogs at hockeybuzz.com. Not the most credible site, in fact one of the least credible sites as far as hockey news goes.

I would hope the league isn't as stupid as to make another switch and further confuse fans. The only reason why there are complaints now are because people aren't used to it. Give it a few more years and they will be used to it. I'll need to see a link for a credible source before I believe it.

Strickland is very informed and very, VERY accurate. I didn't hear how he said this, but I trust him. He may have said the NHL is considering it, but if he said they are, I'd put a lot of stock in it.

I agree that HockeyBuzz rumors aren't very reliable, but Strickland's biggest roll in those rumors is pointing out how wrong some of them are because the two teams haven't even phoned each other.

He's connected and when he reports something, it's usually accurate.

Again, I don't know whether he said this is for sure or whether they're just considering it, but I'd be pretty sure it's at least being considered if Andy Strickland reported this.

I sure hope this is true. White jerseys are some much better. There's more contrast, and it's just sharper. Plus, it's not always the same color vs. white at home games.

As for alternates, more teams should go with white alternates. In basketball it would make sense to me to do dark at home because you can't do much more than reverse colors for the alts often, but in hockey, there is so much room to go with different striping patterns (of course, that's up in the air right now).

To be honest though, I'd like to see teams just have the option to wear whatever they want, but I guess that doesn't help in terms of what jerseys to carry.

Lame. The 3rds are reason for the dark at home, but wait...let's get rid of them when we make everyone wear motocross jerseys. I see posts about complaints at home (Flyers, I'm not picking on you) about being black/white...that's their fault for killing their orange jerseys! And the B's. That's their fault for not creating a decent yellow jersey and resorting to wearing a bunk, older version of what they wear now. With how the NHL used to do it, how the NFL does it, and now how the NBA is doing it, MLB is the only sport where I can see a pic of just the players and know who is the home team.

KISSwall09.jpg

As a Blackhawks fan, or should I say the Blackhawks fan, I like this change. Not only is it what I grew up with (home whites), but I get to see the Red jerseys now, since Dollar Bill Wirtz doesn't televise home games. My only concern is--I live in Atlanta right now--and the Thrashers have their whole "Blue Land" deal where they want everyone to wear that shade of light blue to the games. They even went so far as to offer a jersey exchange a while back. You bring in a jersey of another team, and you get a Thrashers light blue jersey. If the Thrashers wear white at home, that might hurt their whole marketing campaign. The fans can still wear blue, of course, but you have the discrepancy from the team to the fans.

i never realized that they made the change in the first place so teams could wear their alternate jerseys at home until i read this thread. regardless, i will be happy if they change back to whites at home.

Well, because there will be no third jerseys next year, the NHL can afford to change back because teams will still be taking just one jersey set on the road again, only now it'll be the colored jerseys.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

But they will probably be bringing them back a few years after these new uniforms are introduced meaning they will have the same problems they had before the switch to dark homes. Meaning they will probably have to switch back to dark homes in 2 or 3 years. Thus it makes no sense to switch back to white homes for just 3 years. All that is going to do is piss off fans.

But when they introduce a new wave of third jerseys, they won't need to switch back to darks at home since the new jerseys weigh so much less, it won't be a burden for the equipment managers to move two sets at a time anymore. :rolleyes:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I Liked the darks at home, but I just like the colored jerseys better. The Wild's green jersey is better than the white

IMO, the Wild's third jersey is better than both... I may be in the minority, but it is one of my favourite jersey designs in the NHL

I Liked the darks at home, but I just like the colored jerseys better. The Wild's green jersey is better than the white

IMO, the Wild's third jersey is better than both... I may be in the minority, but it is one of my favourite jersey designs in the NHL

Well then you're in for some good news B)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Oh, oh...Should we take this to mean that the Wild's dark jerseys next year will be the reds with the 'retro' logo? If so, I hope they change to the 'Wild' font for those...not crazy about the Wild's third jersey block font.

Not trolling for any specifics, CC, but do you know about all of the changes that will be shown off at the All-Star break?

Oh great. Now I've got all these ex-home jerseys in my closet.

Personally, I prefer having the colored jerseys at home. But if Gary Bettman feels that reversing to whites again is better for the league, go right ahead.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Not trolling for any specifics, CC, but do you know about all of the changes that will be shown off at the All-Star break?

Screw that, I'm trolling for specifics :D

... what can you tell us CC???

Archived