AHL Lake Erie Monsters

Burning River

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what team will they be replacing in the AHL?

They're the old Utah Grizzlies AHL franchise.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Lowell, MA's AHL franchise was formerly known as the Lowell Lock Monsters when they were affiliated with the New York Islanders/Carolina Hurricanes. They are now known as the Lowell Devils, but I wonder if the AHL still has the rights to the name (and logo) and just found it easier & cheaper to adopt a name that was only recently dropped by one of their other teams.

Lake Monsters....Lock Monsters.....not THAT far of a stretch.

Lowell Lock Monsters Logo

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Lowell, MA's AHL franchise was formerly known as the Lowell Lock Monsters when they were affiliated with the New York Islanders/Carolina Hurricanes. They are now known as the Lowell Devils, but I wonder if the AHL still has the rights to the name (and logo) and just found it easier & cheaper to adopt a name that was only recently dropped by one of their other teams.

Lake Monsters....Lock Monsters.....not THAT far of a stretch.

Lowell Lock Monsters Logo

But it's not the Lake Monsters. It's the Lake Erie Monsters. Two different things.

Vermont's team is the Lake Monsters, and aside from the name, it looks nothing like the old Lock Monsters logo.

Maybe there's some legend that describes what the Lake Erie Monster looks like. I think it woud be a little insulting to use Lowell's own logo, considering there are still a bunch of fans (like me) unhappy with the switch to the Devils name. Five parent clubs laid claim to wearing the Lock Monsters logo at one point or another (Islanders, Kings, Hurricanes, Flames & Avalanche), so it's not tied down to a particular team if one of them were to get a new franchise somewhere down the line...I would say the name and logo stay in Lowell.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

From theahl.com:

lem07_250.jpglem07_secondary_150.jpg

I'm not feeling the logos much, to be honest.

The home jersey will be white with wine shoulders and black trim segments on the arm sleeves and will feature the secondary “M” logo on the front. The road jersey will be wine with black and white trim segments on the arm sleeves. Both home and road jerseys will have the Monster from the primary logo on each shoulder. Player numbers will appear on each shoulder sleeve and on the back of each jersey.

I'm watching the video feed as I type this and Dan Gilbert, owner of Cleveland's new AHL franchise, is sporting a t-shirt with the logo above.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

thats not too bad at all....with all of the reference to wine as a color, is this team owned by the Cavaliers owners?

Gilbert, who owns the Monsters, is majority owner of the Cavs.

They are saying that they are happy thay the name "Lake Erie" was chosen over "Cleveland".

Lake Erie has, and will be, associated with the city of Cleveland well enough so confusion doens't run wild with the team's location.

The name that was the leader at all the focus groups they held.

Also, there is a Lake Erie Monster legend similar to the Lochness Monster in Cleveland and coastal northern Ohio.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

They did a nice job creating their new website that was revealed today.

Lake Erie Monsters . Com

The team name was selected after an extensive amount of research was conducted with focus groups made up of casual fans, high level hockey fans, former Cleveland pro hockey season ticket holders, and others. In addition, considerable research explored names that would have a fun connection to the region. The Lake Erie Monsters was the top preference from the focus groups. The "legend of the Lake Erie Monster" or "LEM," brings a fun geographical folklore connection to the region.

The logo art reflects the menacing, powerful nature of the creature and features the hot yellow glare of the Monster's eye. Primary team colors will be wine, blue, yellow and black. (wine - PMS 201C, yellow - PMS 130 and blue - PMS 647). The home jersey will be white with wine shoulders and black trim segments on the arm sleeves and will feature the secondary "M" logo on the front. The road jersey will be wine with black and white trim segments on the arm sleeves. Both home and road jerseys will have the Monster from the primary logo on each shoulder. Player numbers will appear on each shoulder sleeve and on the back of each jersey.

Leading the design and name development process with the organization's senior management team was Tracy Marek, Cavaliers/Quicken Loans Arena senior vice president of marketing. The team worked with Cenergy Communications on all elements of the name and design development process. "Cenergy Communications brought a great deal of specialized expertise and insight to the table for this project. They really helped us develop an identity package that we're confident will engage our fans-to-be with a fun, but aggressive, team image they can be proud of and connect with. Monster Hockey is going to attack The Q like no other hockey team ever has!", said Marek.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Commissioner of

Ok... Now I can comment.

They did a really nice job. The logo is pretty cool. It has a fun "Minor League" feel to it, but it's not corny and childish. They did a nice job with a video presentation showing "actual accounts" of those who have encountered the Lake Erie Monster. (Video is on their page)

I think the jersey would look better with the "Monster Head" on the front, but it will flow well on the sleeves.

I know this isn't setting the bar very high, but this beats the pants off of the "Fighting Walleye" idea and the old Madison Monsters. I still haven't made up my mind about this one - I'll have to wait till I see the jerseys. The description leaves the possibily of 'Lanche clones open - hope that doesn't happen.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So, maybe I'm misreading something, but if the monster head is going on the shoulders, what is going on the chest? the M/puck?

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Archived