My Radical NHL Reaignment

Bronxmet

In order to make all fans happy, I propose to make the NHL into an American Conference and a National Conference. In addition, there would be two expansion teams (mine would be in Houston and Winnipeg).

With expansion

American Conf.

East: Boston, NY Rangers, Montreal, Philly

North: Columbus, St. Louis, Ottawa, Minnesota

South: Dallas, Washington, Tampa Bay, Nashville

West: Anaheim, Edmonton, Vancouver, Phoenix

National Conf.

East: NY Isles, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, New Jersey

North: Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Winnipeg (expansion)

South: Atlanta, Houston (expansion), Florida, Carolina

West: LA, San Jose, Colorado, Calgary

Season (forgive me for capital letters)

32-TEAM LEAGUE

TOTAL: 76 GAMES

YOU PLAY EACH TEAM IN YOUR DIVISION AND THE DIVISION OF YOUR COUNTERPART CONFERENCE 4 TIMES. IF YOU ARE IN THE NC NORTH, YOU PLAY YOUR DIVISION AND THE AC NORTH TEAMS 4 TIMES EACH. THIS COMBINES TO 28 GAMES.

YOU PLAY EACH TEAM IN YOUR CONFERENCE (OUTSIDE YOUR DIVISION) TWICE. IF YOU ARE IN THE AC WEST, YOU PLAY THE TEAMS IN THE AC SOUTH, NORTH, AND EAST 2 TIMES EACH. THIS COMBINES TO 24 GAMES.

YOU PLAY EACH TEAM IN THE COUNTERPART CONFERENCE (OUTSIDE YOUR COUNTERPART DIVISION) TWICE. IF YOU ARE IN THE AC WEST, YOU PLAY THE NC SOUTH, EAST, AND NORTH TEAMS TWICE. THIS COMBINES TO 24 GAMES.

POSTSEASON

THERE ARE 8 TEAMS REPRESENTING EACH CONFERENCE (4 DIVISION CHAMPIONS, 4 BEST NON-1ST PLACE RECORDS).

Advantages

Western fans wouldn't have to worry about who they play

Three original six teams would be in one division (but in different conferences)

Other sports rivalries would be intensified (such as Washington/Dallas)

Each team has an interleague, geographic rival (such as Detroit/Columbus).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accaully no he is not. A month ago it was a NEVER but now the interest from the Pens he sparked alot of rummors. I have heard the "Expansion rummor on Hockey Night in Canada (or the all-star game on CBC) Primetime Sports (Rogers Sportsnet) I even saw an article about it in my local newspaper. So this could be something that could happen very soon. Now on the other hand they have a handful of unstable teams but I am willing to bet money that after they are settle that the NHL will expand most likely to 32 teams and I believe that there will be a simmilar senerio to what you have made but the only reason that alot of leagues have Americian/National is because they are 2 different leagues (baseball) or used to be (Footbal, Basketball).

Cat Eyes - Josh B)

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Expansion would be crazy. IMO, there's just not enough talent to field 30 teams as is, nevermind 32!

Well in terms of Goalies there is talent for more than 32 teams IMO. The ducks have 2, sharks have 2, sabres have 2, habs have 2, preds have 2, avs, sens maybe have 2. And these are starters. IMO if the flyers, lightening, jackets and bruins (as well as a couple others) had one decent to good starter than the NHL standings would be alot closer. Just my opinion though.

Cat Eyes - Josh B)

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Split the Flames and Oilers up into seperate conferences? Are you high?

Not exactly what I thought--but close enough--same goes for the Canucks being split off from the Flames...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Split the Flames and Oilers up into seperate conferences? Are you high?

Not exactly what I thought--but close enough--same goes for the Canucks being split off from the Flames...

And the Devils being split from the Rangers

In order to make all fans happy,

I dont mean to sound like a jerk, but if you name a conference "The American Conference", you will most certainly NOT make all fans happy. If I was Canadian, I would take that as a HUGE slap to the face.

Well, if you are Canadian, you are American because you were born in a continent called America.

South Americans often call themselves as "Americans" because South America is in the Americas.

If I read that the Toronto Blue Jays are in the American League (MLB), it made me some sense because Toronto is an American city, not Asian or European city. When the Expos were in the National League, that was incongruous.

Switzerland isn't in the European Union but I'm an European citizen because my country is in the European continent.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

You're telling me that the Blues are trading Chicago for Ottawa?!

BAKA!!! <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I dont mean to sound like a jerk, but if you name a conference "The American Conference", you will most certainly NOT make all fans happy. If I was Canadian, I would take that as a HUGE slap to the face.

Well, if you are Canadian, you are American because you were born in a continent called America.

South Americans often call themselves as "Americans" because South America is in the Americas.

If I read that the Toronto Blue Jays are in the American League (MLB), it made me some sense because Toronto is an American city, not Asian or European city. When the Expos were in the National League, that was incongruous.

Switzerland isn't in the European Union but I'm an European citizen because my country is in the European continent.

I understand what you're saying, you are right and I've tried making your point a million times before, but in reality in North America the term "American" refers to the United States or US citizens.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Talent would be way too diluted with 32 teams...I say we get back to 26 solid franchises (which will never happen) and have a good amount of talent for all teams and get back to seeing some quality hockey for all 60 minutes.

Here's my idea:

Wales Conference

Northeast: Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto

East: Carolina, Columbus, Philadelphia, Washington

Atlantic: Boston, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers

Southeast: Atlanta, Florida, Nashville, Tampa

Campbell Conference

Northwest: Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton. Vancouver

Central: Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Winnipeg

Mid West: Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, St. Louis

Southwest: Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose

I moves Pitt to KC.

Play division foes 8 times (24), all other conference teams twice (24), and all opposing conference teams twice (32) and 80 total games.

12 teams make playoffs: all 8 divison winners and 2 at large bids. Teams seeded based on records, with the top two in each conference getting byes in the first round (theoretically an at large could have a better record than three of the division champions).

Round 1

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

The lowest remaining seed will face the 1 seed and the higher remaining seed with play the 2 seed in round two.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Or we can rename the American Clarence Campbell and the national Prince of Wales.

Actually pretty much everyone was split up from their rival. I can't imagine any team being happy with this.

Haven't you read my season. Each of these rivals are INTERLEAGUE rivals. Since they are in the Same geographic division of their respective conferences, they play each other 4 times in the season, just like if they were in the same division. So Chicago would still face St. Louis 4 times since Chicago's in the NC North and ST. Louis is in the AC North. If St. Louis was in the AC South, they would only face each other twice.

And how can you split up the Original Six, or provincial rivals like Calgary-Edmonton? This isn't like baseball or football, where two leagues came together, and all these rivalries were already established. Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, St. Louis, and Toronto are meant to form a division. Come on.

Archived