Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

"Drastic," eh? This can only mean one thing:

Tampa Bay Rays wearing Astros-style horizontal rainbow stripes. In five shades of yellow, with sky blue caps. And powder blue road uniforms, also with the yellow rainbow stripes. That would be drastic.

You forgot the pinwheel caps, which were rumored last year...

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess:

NAME:

Tampa Bay Sun Rays or Tampa Bay Sun Sox (possibly Florida Sun Rays/Sun Sox depending on what Miami does)

COLORS:

Primary - Process Blue

Secondary - Burnt Orange, Burgundy Red, Ivory

I don't buy the gold story. I think they are going with a truly unique pallette.

UNIFORMS:

Home - Ivory (not quite white but not Giants' cream either)

Away - Process Blue

Alternate - Burgundy Red

CAPS:

Home - Process Blue with "classic" interlocking "TB" in Burgundy Red with Burnt Orange outline; Burgundy Red button and eyelets

Away - Burgundy Red with TB in Process Blue with Burnt Orange outline; Burnt Orange button and eyelets

Alternate - Ivory with TB in Process Blue with Burgundy Red outline; Burnt Orange button; Burgundy Red bill and Burgundy Red stripes along each panel (like Round Rock)

This would be completely unique and look very, very sharp.

Cards.png

"Drastic," eh? This can only mean one thing:

Tampa Bay Rays wearing Astros-style horizontal rainbow stripes. In five shades of yellow, with sky blue caps. And powder blue road uniforms, also with the yellow rainbow stripes. That would be drastic.

You forgot the pinwheel caps, which were rumored last year...

No way!! Pinwheel caps would look so horribly out of place, what with the Bermuda shorts and the butterfly collars. C'mon, get with the times. :upside:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

My guess:

Well, you certainly don't lose points for playing it safe!

A name change to "Sun Rays" or "Sun Sox" would strike me as "drastic," so I don't think that's in the cards.

As to the colors, that would be a very dark, very low-contrast, very hard to see logo and uniform set. Which would be perfectly in line with the Rays' current look, so ironically this would not be "drastic," ergo I don't think you're on the right track.

Regarding the caps, I think it's safe to bet against your idea about contrast-color eyelets. It's pretty much an iron law that big-league teams don't do that; college teams and some minor-league squads do.

But I hope you're right about seam piping on the caps. About time some team did that!

20082614447.png

I didn't catch the interview with Friedman last night, so my recent posts in this thread have been secondhand information from the Devil Rays message board. According to a poster over there:

The funny thing about the interview last night was that Kalas pushed Friedman a little about the date that this thing has to be to MLB. Friedman said that it had to be done by the end of May, but they could get some leeway if it went to the beginning of June.

Does that mean, like so many other things, that they still don't have any idea of what the change is going to be?

Suddenly I'm not so optimistic.

:wacko:

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Sounds like they're second guessing the whole thing.

They have a prime opportunity to make a very necessary change of their identity and create a new positive image for the organization....but they'll probably mess that up just like everything else.

I didn't catch the interview with Friedman last night, so my recent posts in this thread have been secondhand information from the Devil Rays message board. According to a poster over there:

The funny thing about the interview last night was that Kalas pushed Friedman a little about the date that this thing has to be to MLB. Friedman said that it had to be done by the end of May, but they could get some leeway if it went to the beginning of June.

Does that mean, like so many other things, that they still don't have any idea of what the change is going to be?

Suddenly I'm not so optimistic.

:wacko:

You guys need to get your 20something Devil Rays executives right. Andrew Friedman is the de-facto General Manager, Matt Silverman is the Team President and was the one interviewed the other night. I've dealt with both, and Friedman really doesn't seem the type to care too much about this.

As far as the changes go, I don't like it. I think the Rays have an awesome set of jerseys currently, especially their green alternate jersey and road "Tampa Bay" jersey with a tail on the 'y'. Their home jerseys leave something to be desired, but minor tweaks are the answer, not an overhaul. Having three major changes to the logos/jerseys in ten years is a joke.

You guys need to get your 20something Devil Rays executives right. Andrew Friedman is the de-facto General Manager, Matt Silverman is the Team President and was the one interviewed the other night. I've dealt with both, and Friedman really doesn't seem the type to care too much about this.

Like I said in the post you quoted, I didn't catch the interview, so my information was secondhand. I was just passing along what I'd read and citing my sources.

Like I said in the post you quoted, I didn't catch the interview, so my information was secondhand. I was just passing along what I'd read and citing my sources.

Not your fault, I just wanted to point that out as an FYI. If you see someone talking about the logo change for the Rays, nine times out of ten it is going to be Silverman, he deals in that type of stuff.

From TBO.com - http://www.tbo.com/sports/rays/MGBD16TJF2F.html
NOTEWORTHY: The Rays met MLB's deadline Thursday to request a name and uniform change. The changes will be unveiled after the season, perhaps coinciding with the Bucs' bye week (Nov. 11)

It's coming... :)

Thanks, Zoop. November 11th? But I want it now!

:cursing:

Exactly.

Any reason why the Bucs bye week is so important? Or is it just down to the fact that there will be no distractions?

Thats probably the only reason, but I'd prefer to see it sooner.

Exactly.

Any reason why the Bucs bye week is so important? Or is it just down to the fact that there will be no distractions?

MLB usually does not allow uniforms changes to be unveiled until after the season is over which would be Nov 1st if the World Series goes seven. In the past, most teams have released new uni's at their respective fanfests. So, Nov 11th or thereabouts would actually be early.

Archived