Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From TBO.com - http://www.tbo.com/sports/rays/MGBD16TJF2F.html
NOTEWORTHY: The Rays met MLB's deadline Thursday to request a name and uniform change. The changes will be unveiled after the season, perhaps coinciding with the Bucs' bye week (Nov. 11)

Rays hoping pen upgrade trickles down

By MARC TOPKIN

Published August 5, 2007

RAYS RUMBLINGS: The Rays new uniforms/colors/logos/name are likely to be unveiled sometime around the Bucs' Nov. 11 open date.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Looks like Stingrays is out.

DRaysBay - C.R.E.A.M 8/8/07

By R.J. Anderson

Posted on Wed Aug 08, 2007 at 10:11:29 AM EDT

Expect the new Rays colors, logo, and name to be announced during the Buccaneers bye week (November 11th), and if you want further proof of the new name, take note of Raysbaseball.com; which beginning in January will become the team's official webpage, as for the old / current Raysbaseball site you can check them out at Raysbb.com, or thanks to old DRB running mate Jim Wisinski, firejoemaddon.com also links to the new site.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Wouldn't the team's official webpage be the one linked to from MLB.com?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

By R.J. Anderson

Expect the new Rays colors, logo, and name to be announced during the Buccaneers bye week (November 11th), and if you want further proof of the new name, take note of Raysbaseball.com; which beginning in January will become the team's official webpage, as for the old / current Raysbaseball site you can check them out at Raysbb.com, or thanks to old DRB running mate Jim Wisinski, firejoemaddon.com also links to the new site.

I really wanted Stingrays.

:(

Yes, but teams also try to own the rights to other URLs that will point to their MLB pages to make it easier to market the website. Which is easier to say and to remember: "tampa bay dot rays dot mlb dot com" or "rays baseball dot com"? The latter, obviously, so the team apparently bought the rights to that URL with the intent of using it in print material and broadcasts. All teams have secondary URLs for this purpose; when you go to the URL, your browser just automatically forwards to the team's mlb.com site.

Just for example, nationals.com actually takes you to washington.nationals.mlb.com, and twinsbaseball.com takes you to minnesota.twins.mlb.com. The Giants own sfgiants.com but not giantsbaseball.com. Yankees.com, mets.com, cubs.com, and dodgers.com are all owned by their respective teams. Rays.com is in use by an established Seattle restaurant. In business, anything can be bought, but the baseball team would likely have to offer at least six digits to make changing URLs worth the restaurant's bother.

20082614447.png

Yes, but teams register their own domain names, simpler and easier to promote, which re-direct to the standard MLB.com web address.

For example, the Brewers use www.brewers.com on their marketing materials and stadium signage, which takes you to milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com, the Yankees advertise www.yankees.com, which takes you to newyork.yankees.mlb.com, etc.

EDIT: Damn, Wonk beat me to it. Had I not taken the time to include actual links, I would've won. :P

Rays.com is in use by an established Seattle restaurant. In business, anything can be bought, but the baseball team would likely have to offer at least six digits to make changing URLs worth the restaurant's bother.

That's funny. I've been to both Ray's in Seattle and Tropicana Field in Tampa to see the Rays. I had way more fun at the restaurant.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Damnit.

Rays, by itself is terrible. Devil Rays is bad. Manta Rays is worse. But Sting Rays.......that sounds like a nickname.

Damnit.

By R.J. Anderson

Yeah, it took me 3 days to ind out about the change. I was lost without my baseball talk.

SigReflect.png

Archived