Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'll chime in what color combo I hope to see. First off, I like the current look. Green is woefully underused in pro sports. I'm hoping to see green and orange as the new colors. I'd be fine with either as the primary cap color. Would people in the Tampa Bay region be fine with the UMiami colors though?

If/when the Marlins change their name to the Miami Marlins (much better IMO) then I could go for the Florida Rays.

The Florida Rays, if related to the sun, would be cool and maybe someone could come up with a good concept. I'm not that creative. Anyway, the "Florida" moniker should be free soon, especially once the Marlins relocate to San Antonio, Charlotte, Portland, or (insert city).

I disagree. Was it arrogant for the Marlins to call themselves the Florida Marlins?

Was it arrogant for the Rockies to call themselves the Colorado Rockies?

So you are going to say that they are the only teams in their states.

It doesn't matter to me.

How about California Angels? Texas Rangers?

Do the Rays play in Florida?

If yes, the name fits.

I've always wondered why the Rockies (and the Avalanche) opted for the state name when the other two teams there went with the city name. That said, Colorado does go better with both names, and in a situation where a state has only one major city, and that city is pretty well centered in the state, it seems acceptable to me.

::edit:: Now that I think about it, the same split happened in Miami, too. And to a lesser extent in Dallas and Nashville ::/edit::

Would they consider going the "Golden State Warriors" route and calling themselves the Sunshine State Rays?

How about just the Rays of Sunshine? Ahhh, so sweet and cute!

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

It'll be Blue and Yellow....anyone want to make any friendly wagers? B)

This is not a bad idea at all. Short of having another dreaded poll, we should keep a tally of what the new color palette will be. It's a quantifiable bet, unlike having a bet as to if we think the new look is better than the old.

The winners have free reign to gloat to the end of days, and the blue-yellow losers like Mr. Powersurge will only be able to hang their heads in defeat.

With that said, I, the Blackjack dealer of these forums, will go with:

1. Cerulean - a range of colors from deep blue, sky-blue, bright blue or azure color through greenish blue colors

2. Coral

3. Deep, Dark Gold

4. Midnight Blue

Who's with me?

HA!

You're on!!!!!!!

*cracks fingers*

B)

This is not a bad idea at all. Short of having another dreaded poll, we should keep a tally of what the new color palette will be. It's a quantifiable bet, unlike having a bet as to if we think the new look is better than the old.

The winners have free reign to gloat to the end of days, and the blue-yellow losers like Mr. Powersurge will only be able to hang their heads in defeat.

1. Cerulean - a range of colors from deep blue, sky-blue, bright blue or azure color through greenish blue colors

2. Coral

3. Deep, Dark Gold

4. Midnight Blue

Who's with me?

HA!

You're on!!!!!!!

*cracks fingers*

B)

To help illustrate my point....

TBWaves_colorguess_0815.jpg

Cards.png

2. Coral

3. Deep, Dark Gold

4. Midnight Blue

Who's with me?

HA!

You're on!!!!!!!

*cracks fingers*

B)

To help illustrate my point....

TBWaves_colorguess_0815.jpg

I can kind of see the cerulean and the deep gold working....but we'll just have to see won't we?

Can we PLEASE stop arguing about the "Bay" in Tampa Bay? PLEASE?

St Pete will NEVER allow Tampa to NOT include them in the name, and St Pete seems to think that the "Bay" includes them into the equation.

That's just how it is, dont argue about it. End of discussion.

As for the colors, I love the green. As someone said, "green is woefully underused in sports".....I think it could be tweaked and look just fantastic. I trust the new owners though, I think they'll come up with something sharp regardless. *crosses fingers*

SigReflect.png

See. Stingrays is cheesy and minor league.

:D

I think you've got a point: If the Rays went for the "Stringrays" name, they would have to have an absolutely perfect logo and uniform design to avoid looking bush league. I'm sure it can be done -- I have a very clear mental image of how a "Stringrays" script could look absolutely fantastic -- but it's a case where if you can't achieve perfection, you shouldn't make the attempt. The simpler, more flexible "Rays" is a more forgiving identity concept. A not-fantastic logo and uniform design can still be attractive for the Rays, but probably not for the Stingrays.

20082614447.png

Archived