Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, it really seems from this that the religious factor had more influence than any of us might have thought.

I mean, I knew getting rid of Devil was partly for that reason; when the Rays unis were leaked it seemed the "Christmas" star was a nod to that; but this seems like an all-out ad for a new church. Maybe fans will follow the star to Tropicana Field?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's a major Scientology community in Clearwater, just a bit away from St. Pete. I suppose there's nothing wrong with reaching out to the locals -- but those locals?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

55244831rj5.png

I see where people are getting the churchy vibe from this. But it looks to me like they chose a seven-point star specifically to avoid having an overt cross shape in this. With no vertical arm on top of the star, it doesn't make a cross. As much as this looks similar to the kind of logo you'd expect from your typical Jesus-lite cheap-grace suburban megachurch, any actual church logo would likely have a much more overt cross shape than this. (I'm thinking of the Lighthouse Baptist Church near where I live, which has a guiding-star logo much like this, except that it's got both an outer and an inner cross shape in the starburst pattern. Without the overt cross, it's just a starburst.)

I'm not saying this is a good bit of logo element design. Just that it really looks to me like an effort to avoid the overt references people are identifying here. I mean, there's a much stronger cross element in the Seattle Mariners design package than anything in this little teaser logo.

20082614447.png

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's a major Scientology community in Clearwater, just a bit away from St. Pete. I suppose there's nothing wrong with reaching out to the locals -- but those locals?

The Church of Scientology in Clearwater, also called Flag Service Organization (FSO) is a religious retreat which serves as the spiritual headquarters for Scientologists from all over the world. It is the hub of the Scientology worldwide community, a dynamic, multilingual organization and is the largest single church of Scientology in the world.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

If that no talent hack of an actor ...

Mr. Oscar begs to differ:

_158039_kevin_costner_portrait_elvis_25-08-98.jpg

His Academy Awards are for Best Picture and Best Director. Powersurge is right, he is a horrible actor.

Sorry, don't care how many little golden guys he's got stuffed up his backside....he's horrible.

Why the hell would anyone try to go for the green five times after coming up short and landing it in the water the first four?

:P

Seriously, He's really not THAT bad. I'm just still really bitter about "Water World". I'm waiting for my refund from the no talent hack. ;)

At any rate, a ray of sun is definitely not the message I get.

Nor me either. I think this is supposed to represent the glint of the sun on a shiny object. A reflection of a ray of sun. Until Claude Monet opens up a sports design shop, it will be a challenge for any team to depict the concept of light in a sports logo. How do you show a ray of sunlight? Personally, I wouldn't even try -- there are more effective ways to create this identity than that kind of literalism -- but if you're going to insist on depicting light, this kind of reflection-flash is a reasonable way to go. Even if it does make you wonder what Pastor Mike's sermon will be for the Saturday night guitar service.

20082614447.png

Wow, it really seems from this that the religious factor had more influence than any of us might have thought.

I mean, I knew getting rid of Devil was partly for that reason; when the Rays unis were leaked it seemed the "Christmas" star was a nod to that; but this seems like an all-out ad for a new church. Maybe fans will follow the star to Tropicana Field?

Maybe they see the miracle that the Rockies pulled off, and they think they ought to get on the Jesus bandwagon too?

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

"Learn more"?

Oh, my gods - the Devil Rays have been sold to Scientologists!

THIS IS WHAT THE RAYS ACTUALLY BELIEVE.

Let's see who gets that joke first.

southparkxenudu3.jpg

And while searching for that I found this...

tomscinarrowweb300x5330cd5.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

"Learn more"?

Oh, my gods - the Devil Rays have been sold to Scientologists!

THIS IS WHAT THE RAYS ACTUALLY BELIEVE.

Let's see who gets that joke first.

southparkxenudu3.jpg

And while searching for that I found this...

tomscinarrowweb300x5330cd5.jpg

Speaking of no talent hacks..... :D

Cruise looks at home behind the podium as a cult leader. A chest bump with the closed fist followed by the preeminent sign of peace....Ahhh how appropriate.

Archived