Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, tomorrow is the big day. Has there ever been a less anticipated unveiling?

:(

It's not the crappiness of the team - remember how excited we all were for the Arizona Cardinals' new unis? But man.. 6 weeks post-leak plus boring-ass uniforms sure takes the shine off an unveiling.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

I am contemplating going down to St. Pete for the even this evening, but not sure right now.

From what I've heard, we may see something different than what was leaked. A professor of mine has talked with one of the VP's for the Rays and has said what was leaked may not be true, so we'll see later tonight.

From what I've heard, we may see something different than what was leaked. A professor of mine has talked with one of the VP's for the Rays and has said what was leaked may not be true, so we'll see later tonight.

It seems like they always say stuff like then when they know it has already been leaked. That wasy the can keep the anticipation going. Hopefully you're right, although I'm not getting my hopes up.

Well, they've had their little sunburst/ray/whatever on their website anticipating this, so it kind of looks like that's still the direction they're going (big shame).

My thoughts exactly. I think if it were a hoax/false leak of some sort, not only is that a LOT of effort... it could also blow up in their faces if they were to release something that was LESS well received than the leaks.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

A few tweaks wouldn't surprise me, such as fixing the T on the cap or putting Tampa Bay on the roads. Anything more than that is just wishful thinking.

My thoughts exactly. I think if it were a hoax/false leak of some sort, not only is that a LOT of effort... it could also blow up in their faces if they were to release something that was LESS well received than the leaks.

[Ralph Wiggum]

That's unpossible.

[/Ralph Wiggum]

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

[Ralph Wiggum]

That's unpossible.

[/Ralph Wiggum]

HA, nice. But sure it is. Imagine if they came up with something like Barney Rubble's hair in my avatar there... that would be worse than the Jesus-burst.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Well, they've had their little sunburst/ray/whatever on their website anticipating this, so it kind of looks like that's still the direction they're going (big shame).

No, it's not a lot of effort. Any entry-level staffer on Capitol Hill could pull that kind of a stunt in his sleep. It happens all the time in other settings, and it's really quite easy. Probably easier here, since you're already paying someone to give you lots of drawings that you know you won't use, so you don't even have to go to the effort of making something fake.

And in this case, I don't think there's any doubt that the Rays leaked a uniform that could not possibly be preferred to anything they might switch it in favor of. The Rays unis we've seen is definitely the New Coke of baseball uniform launches.

But yes, this must be considered wishful thinking at this point. It's just not gonna happen that the Rays are going to unveil a radically different, Dodgers-quality uniform in an hour. All I'm saying is that a strategic leak would be easy to do, and it would be easy to do it in such a way that the actual product would be judged favorably to the leak.

20082614447.png

No, it's not a lot of effort. Any entry-level staffer on Capitol Hill could pull that kind of a stunt in his sleep. It happens all the time in other settings, and it's really quite easy. Probably easier here, since you're already paying someone to give you lots of drawings that you know you won't use, so you don't even have to go to the effort of making something fake.

And in this case, I don't think there's any doubt that the Rays leaked a uniform that could not possibly be preferred to anything they might switch it in favor of. The Rays unis we've seen is definitely the New Coke of baseball uniform launches.

But yes, this must be considered wishful thinking at this point. It's just not gonna happen that the Rays are going to unveil a radically different, Dodgers-quality uniform in an hour. All I'm saying is that a strategic leak would be easy to do, and it would be easy to do it in such a way that the actual product would be judged favorably to the leak.

You still on that conspiracy rant? :D

All I'm saying is that a strategic leak would be easy to do, and it would be easy to do it in such a way that the actual product would be judged favorably to the leak.

I think it would be easy to do for a designer, or a lone marketing department... but for a byzantine corporate structure like Major League Baseball, I think it would be hard in a corporate sense to get the sign-off reqired.

The deception would be easy, I agree. Getting the OK to practice the deception sounds a lot harder to me, given that somewhere along the way, someone is going to shy away from it based on the potential for a PR disaster, no matter how well presented the case is.

But the point is moot, as you say, because I'd bet an arm that we'll get no surprises today.

indians4.png

-Terry Pluto

Archived