• Created
  • Last Reply

This nightmare never ends.

:lol:

Movie star joins forces with Rays

Kevin Costner to highlight Tampa Bay's launch festivities

By Dawn Klemish / MLB.com

10/18/2007 11:00 AM ET

ST. PETERSBURG -- Perhaps you've seen him in "Bull Durham." Maybe you caught his starring role in "Field of Dreams" or "For Love of the Game."

Next month, be sure not to miss him in downtown St. Petersburg.

The Rays have teamed forces with movie star Kevin Costner and his rock-and-roll band, Modern West, in a celebration to launch the organization's new uniforms, colors and logo. The two-day unveiling celebration kicks off at 4 p.m. ET on Nov. 8 at St. Petersburg's Straub Park, with activities for fans of all ages.

Rays players, coaches, manager Joe Maddon and former players Wade Boggs and Fred McGriff will then model the new digs during a 5:30 p.m. fashion show, to be immediately followed with a concert from Costner and Modern West. The evening will conclude with a fireworks display. Admission is free for everyone.

On Nov. 9, the festivities will continue up the road in Tampa. Assorted players will be stationed throughout the downtown community, and at noon will gather at Gaslight Park to visit with fans and hand out Rays merchandise.

In the evening, the Rays will be scattered throughout several Champs Sports locations around Tampa Bay for fans to interact with as they purchase their new Rays apparel. Champs Sports is the exclusive retail store for the new uniform launch.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

If that no talent hack of an actor even thinks of picking up a bat I'm going to walk to Tampa and beat the hell out of him. Whats he doing trying to get involved with a MLB team?

Three words: Field of Dreams.

There was a time not long ago when an appearance by Kevin Costner was de rigueur for every baseball event. From All-Star Games to the World Series to the grand opening of the Brewers Clubhouse Store at the Brookfield Square mall, he was always there, speaking into a microphone as the Field of Dreams music played softly behind him....

All the Kevin Costners, Wade Boggs, and Fred McGriff's in the world wil not be able to prevent the horrendous chorus of boos when those bland-as-hell pieces of crap they call uniforms are unveiled. They are setting up for the biggest "egg-in-your-face" moment in known history.

Um, I hate to break it to you, but an Oscar is not by itself a guarantee of superior acting talent.

I would call all of the Oscars won by Forrest Gump better condemnation than Marisa Tomei's. But you've gotta figure that, with the logo and uniform designs we've seen and the team Tampa Bay puts on the field, Kevin Costner will definitely raise the level of personal talent, baseball acumen, and artistic integrity at the event. (And I mean that as a swipe at the front office's talent and baseball acumen, not the players. Actually some terrific young players on that team, and with a better front office they could contend.)

20082614447.png

All the Kevin Costners, Wade Boggs, and Fred McGriff's in the world wil not be able to prevent the horrendous chorus of boos when those bland-as-hell pieces of crap they call uniforms are unveiled. They are setting up for the biggest "egg-in-your-face" moment in known history.

I would love to see that, but I don't think it'll happen. I think you'll find that the crowd allowed in is either very friendly, or unwilling to be rude.

The biggest "egg-in-your-face" moment in uniform history that I'm aware of came when Arsenal FC (of London) unveiled their first new crest in fifty years before a game, and the nearly 40,000 people in attendance booed as one.

That vocal reaction didn't change anything, BTW.

If that no talent hack of an actor even thinks of picking up a bat I'm going to walk to Tampa and beat the hell out of him. Whats he doing trying to get involved with a MLB team?

Maybe Crash will finally make it back to the show as a manager. The Durham Bulls of today are the D-Rays AAA affiliate after all...

nav-logo.png

Archived