World's Tallest Hoops Player ... Sun Ming Ming

ROCHitman

So, I went to the Maryland Nighthwaks @ Rochester Razorsharks ABA game on Thursday night and

the world's 2nd tallest human and world's tallest basketball player suited up for Maryland.

He wears #79, which btw is an illegal number

in the college ranks on down, because he's 7' 9".

23 year old Sun Ming Ming

7 Foot, 9 Inches

370 lbs

Size 20 sneakers

15 minutes of action in 131-102 loss to the Rochester RazorSharks

4 points

9 rebounds

3 blocks

Here are some photos that the Rochester D&C published today...

mingsc2.jpg

sunmingmingcj2.jpg

sunmingming3fe9.jpg

sunmingming4ui9.jpg

sunmingming5cr3.jpg

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Heh ... you could have almost put this in Sports Logos, considering it looks like they had to make a special uniform for him. There was a documentary on this guy on TV a couple of days ago, but I didn't watch it.

More importantly, how did he play?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

He definatly has a different jersey than the rest of his team, they all have shoulder nike stripes, but he doesnt.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Right there.

*searches furiously for stats like "ability to run plays," or "post-up ability," or "capability to play defence;" but fails miserably*

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I just need to know if you multiplied any of his stats by 10, would it be any higher than the apparent attendance?

Considering that it's Rochester....no.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ming Ming is very slow and uncoordinated.

He's got alot of work to do to reach the NBA.

Whenever Maryland missed a shot and the Sharks rebounded, they had a 5 on 4 break because Ming can't get back on defense quick enough.

Attendance last night was 6812.

We love our Sharks!

Rochester is the defending ABA champs, you know!

Read 7-foot-9 Sun sets far short of NBA and you'll see what I mean. I had the same observations as the writer.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

Bas-ket-ball?

Yes, I should have made that my first reply, but the concept of someone that tall that may actually have something resembling basketball skills is intriguing.

OK, enough of that. bas-ket-ball? :P

And since you replied...

When you say "He's got a lot of work to do to reach the NBA," you're implying that he has the tool set, albeit not well-honed at this point, to play in the NBA?

Can he jump, someone should bring him out here to play Aussie Rules....tall basketballers seem to make okay ruckmen - Dean Brogan.

For a player that tall, he didn't do much stats wise and court time. If I had a player that tall, I'd play him as much as I could and base the game plan around him.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Can he jump?

Let me just say he lost the opening tap to a 6'9? forward

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Commissioner of

Archived