Anyone else think the 07 MLB 5950s sit too high on your head?

boardname

I know people talk a lot about hat styles here, but I'm not much of a collector so I usually skim those parts, and a quick search didn't pull up the topic..

Anyway, I bought a fitted 2007 5950 Dodger hat when I was in Vero Beach for spring training last month. (I think its a 2007 because it has a black underbrim, and if I'm not mistaken this is the first year of that. I could be wrong). And when I look at myself in the mirror with it, it just feels like the front panel is SO high. I compared it with other hats I have, and it's much more "straight-up" as opposed to the more rounded feel the others have, if that makes any sense. I feel stupid wearing it, almost to the point where I don't even want to wear it any more. Anyone else feel the same way?

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

u know i think it depends on the actual logo on the hat, my Curly W Nats hat doesnt sit as high on my head as my DC logo one does...i'd think the DC logo would have the same problem as the interlocking LA...but the more you wear it itll go down, mine has.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

u know i think it depends on the actual logo on the hat, my Curly W Nats hat doesnt sit as high on my head as my DC logo one does...i'd think the DC logo would have the same problem as the interlocking LA...but the more you wear it itll go down, mine has.

That's interesting that it would be different based on what logo you have. How long did it take you to wear the DC logo one down? I'm considering just bringing this one to work as a pro-Dodger decoration and buying a more comfortable one to wear.

a couple weeks to wear the DC down, and i think about the logo difference is that the DC is more boxy of a logo, like the LA, and ive noticed (with the old 5950's) that you cant get a tighter curve on an Orioles cap with the bird cuz of how wide the logo is...its all in the stitching of the logo.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Do you know if this is a characteristic of the 2007's only?

I found this online and I sort of like it:

NEFblueslosdod-nvy.jpg

It says, "Authentic fitted hat by New Era with "5950 Authentic Collection" fit, navy wool crown and visor, columbia blue raised embroidered "LA" with white outline on front, matching MLB logo on back ."

Since it has the gray underbill, I know it's not an 07. But if prior versions had the same issue, then there's no point in getting it.

the problem with the old versions is that they shrink really fast, so you need to buy it a bit big, and they can vary in size, even if say you want a 7 1/4, 2 7 1/4's can fit differently. ive found with the new 5950's that they are alot more standard fitting than the old ones. i love my new Nats authentics.

the only 8 I've found so far was too small for my head, so that one sat too high on my head. must've been one of those mislabeled ones, cus my other 8s still fit.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Concerning the crown: I left my Dodgers cap in my suitcase, where it was pressed flat for several hours. That definitely helped make it lose its vertical Elmer Fudd-hat shape; it now looks more rounded and normal. Also, after the cap absorbs some filth and sweat, the herringbone structure in the crown starts to wrinkle slightly. Once it loses its brand-new look, the huge crown is far, far less noticeable.

If it helps at all: I know that when one looks in the mirror with the new cap on, one feels really really stupid. However, generally other people don't seem to really notice (several people actually complimented my cap). And when I see people wearing 5950s around town, I can't tell whether it's a new one or an old one until I actually see the color of the underbill. The conclusion: it's not as bad as you think.

Note on shrinking: It certainly shrinks, even if very slightly, when wet; when I bought my cap, it was a smidgen loose, but after the sweat and filth from a visit to New York City, it is now absolutely perfect.

These polyester caps take a lot more work to break in. But I'll tell you what, each day my Dodger cap gets more and more comfortable. Give it a second chance - they really grow on you!

I refuse to wear my Pirate hat (not because of their record ;) ) It looks stupid and if I pull it down, it makes my ears stick out like dumbo. I have an old Red Red Sox hat and it sticks up so much and is so poorly constructed, it even has a point like a dunce cap...not to mention both caps have a brim that's about as durable as wet paper. $50 for two hats and both are worth about $6

KISSwall09.jpg

Size EIGHT? I didn't know Kevin Mench and Barry Bonds posted here.

Yeah, size 8 is the over-sized ones the hip-hop and rappers wear. Can that be said anymore after the Imus firing though?

i wear 7 7/8, with a shaved head... and i'm a white dude...

i just have a big old scottish noggin.

Concerning the crown: I left my Dodgers cap in my suitcase, where it was pressed flat for several hours. That definitely helped make it lose its vertical Elmer Fudd-hat shape; it now looks more rounded and normal. Also, after the cap absorbs some filth and sweat, the herringbone structure in the crown starts to wrinkle slightly. Once it loses its brand-new look, the huge crown is far, far less noticeable.

If it helps at all: I know that when one looks in the mirror with the new cap on, one feels really really stupid. However, generally other people don't seem to really notice (several people actually complimented my cap). And when I see people wearing 5950s around town, I can't tell whether it's a new one or an old one until I actually see the color of the underbill. The conclusion: it's not as bad as you think.

Note on shrinking: It certainly shrinks, even if very slightly, when wet; when I bought my cap, it was a smidgen loose, but after the sweat and filth from a visit to New York City, it is now absolutely perfect.

These polyester caps take a lot more work to break in. But I'll tell you what, each day my Dodger cap gets more and more comfortable. Give it a second chance - they really grow on you!

I have found that to be the case with my new Brewers alternate cap - a couple of weeks of wearing it, and it rounded off nicely. Compared to the new one I just bought (going to remove the crown reinforcing on that one as an experiment), the difference is startling.

Size EIGHT? I didn't know Kevin Mench and Barry Bonds posted here.

Yeah, size 8 is the over-sized ones the hip-hop and rappers wear. Can that be said anymore after the Imus firing though?

No, as a matter of fact, if you say the words hip-hop or rapper, you have stolen the dream of the enitre Rutgers Womens Basketball team :P

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Archived