Racist Refs...?

Telemundo219

And in other news... grass is green.

why would they publish a story like this other than to agitate people. i'd like to know the source of the study. When i watched the mavs/heat series last year, the only fishy officiating i saw was when it started to favor the heat. btw, i have/had no vested interest in either team. if anything officiating seems to favor certain star players but nothing to suggest its a black/white issue. There again i don't spend my time trying to find racisim in every aspect of my life.

Because the New York Slimes likes to create a racial divide and paint the US as an unfair racist country and they are finding the oddest stupidest most irrelevant methods they can.

Gotta love the "racism was erraticated in the 60's" mentality. Like you wouldn't be writing this off as some left-wing conspiracy if it were any other paper in the world. Oh, but that's right... our media is somehow controlled by the left even though all media outlets are owned by one of 8 conglomerates.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You can use statistics to prove anything, 14% of all people know that"

-Homer Simpson

98% of us will die at some point in our lives.

.... while 100% of DEAD! people have a 50% chance of either living or dying while maintaining a 28% chance of surviving a plane crash as 60% of all the people they come across are constipated.

I saw, I came, I left.

-Homer Simpson

.... while 100% of DEAD! people have a 50% chance of either living or dying while maintaining a 28% chance of surviving a plane crash as 60% of all the people they come across are constipated.

That is like so true.

And I'm about 2/15 Native American.

(800 posts! Yay! About.....5/28 of the way to mediocrety on this board.)

http://bpp.wharton.upenn.edu/jwolfers/Papers/NBARace.pdf

There's the paper in question.

The the coefficients are very small. The effect isn't much regarding the foul rates. Looking at Table 3, there's more of a change in the foul rates of white players. There isn't any change in the foul rates of black players. Further more, the foul rates of black players for white and black officiating crews are virtually identical to the overall mean. To me, this suggests more of "reverse racism" where black referees are discriminating against white players more than white referees are discriminating against black players.

Although I don't buy that conclusion either. Looking at Table one there are about 4 black starters/team. I think it's reasonable to assume that they are the best players on the team. We can extrapolate from that assumption to argue that typically, white players are not as talented as black players in the NBA (otherwise they would be starting). The increased foul rates of white players can be explained two ways from this assumption.

(1) Bench players are sometimes put in to foul late in games. If more white players are bench players, then whites will commit fouls at a greater rate.

(2) Bench players have a lower talent level, so they play "sloppier" and thus draw more fouls. Again, if whites typically are worse then they will commit more fouls due to their "sloppy" play.

The numbers are statistically significant, although most at the 10% level, which is fairly weak. But given that white players are typically bench players they should naturally have a higher foul rate for reasons given above. Furthermore, the coefficients are quite small so any effect that is there isn't affecting the outcome (I suppose with the exception of an extremely close game).

Is there racism in officiating? Possibly, but we can't conclude that from this study.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Anyone hear Charles Barkley sound off on this study, he completely misunderstood the study. He was like of course there are more fouls called on blacks, there are more on the court. I was listening to his interview on the Dan Patrick show, I have just a statistics course or two under my belt, but I was just like Charles you're an idiot, thats obviously not what they are saying. Like dsgitlin said, there are complicated equations to control for the mere number of total fouls called against black and white basketball players. The authors of this study must be saying, Wow Charles you're an idiot.

-Homer Simpson

That statistic has a 2% margin of error.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

We became aware of this [study] late last year," said Brian McIntyre, the NBA's senior vice president for basketball communications. "In 2006, this same study showed there was no bias. ...

"There is a fundamental flaw [in the study]. They did it off box scores out of the newspaper. So they assigned this not to individual referees but to the three-man crew. So you have no way of knowing who made the calls. Was it the white official? Was it the black official? Or was it an Hispanic official? They don't know. So they made a big leap."

McIntyre also disputes the study's claim that the NBA refused to provide so-called underlying data.

"We gave them data on every one of our 148,000 calls," he said. "What we wouldn't give them was the names of the particular officials. We are not going to do that. We assemble our information, not for racial purposes. We do this for our training and for the evaluation of our officials. ... We believe that 95 or 96 percent of our calls are right. We don't want to publicize the guys who make a higher percentage of good calls or bad calls. It's not fair to the official."

How do you know which referees made the calls? Oops!

Never forget.

Just in general.

I think this is one of the stupidest things ever. Its just pointing out racism over something stupid to try and raise a stir.

A few things I think are flawed. For one it says that 83% percent of minutes were played by black players. So, only 17% were white, that seems like a small sample size to compare with the other. I know they have statistics to "even" it out, but it still seems pretty small. Also wouldn't it be better to look at the legitimacy of the calls. I mean the definition of a foul has nothing to do with race. Maybe it just so happens that black players are more aggressive than white ones, therefore making more contact. A better study would be to look a questionable calls and to see how they go.

Or has anybody considered that black players may just make more fouls?

Most times the simplest solution is the correct one.

... is that because there are more black players? ... *cough*

I saw, I came, I left.

-Homer Simpson

Me lose brain?!?! :blink:

Uh-oh.

-Homer Simpson

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Hmmmmmmmm maybe

Oh and perhaps many white players are from Europe where they play a less physical brand of basketball.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Hmmmmmmmm maybe

Oh and perhaps many white players are from Europe where they play a less physical brand of basketball.

... and then there's Yao Ming.... :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Yes, and because they can't easily discern if ALL black players are more aggressive and ALL white players are :censored: Europeans, they try to control for variables and answer a question. Epiphanic had the best, most detailed, most demonstrating-he-understood-the-damn-paper analysis. The rest here is just so much silliness.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

An even BETTER study would be to know whether the referees are black or white instead of pulling it out of your ass!

Have you even read the study? Or the articles about it? The study controlled the racial composition of the refereeing crew. Judging from your previous posts, it seems that you haven't a hold on what this is exactly trying to say.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Yes, and because they can't easily discern if ALL black players are more aggressive and ALL white players are :censored: Europeans, they try to control for variables and answer a question. Epiphanic had the best, most detailed, most demonstrating-he-understood-the-damn-paper analysis. The rest here is just so much silliness.

*whistle*

*whistle*

shouldn't gitlin be on the bench? .... he's getting into foul trouble....

I saw, I came, I left.

*whistle*

Are you a black referee? :therock::P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived