New hockey movie messes up

CDunn

The new movie about the 1980 U.S. hockey team, Miracle, messed up bigtime on the uniforms. This past week I got a copy of Amercian Hockey magazine in the mail and on the cover is a picture of goalie Jim Craig from 1980 in the blue uni. Also on the cover is the actor who plays him in the movie modeling the same scene, also in the blue uni. However, the uniforms are very different. the real one has a striping patern of thin white, thick red, thin white. the one the actor is wearing is thick white, thin red, thick white. The collar of the real jersey is red-white-red, while the one in the movie is white-red-white. Finally, the font of USA is different. It's most notable on the S where the top is clearly different. It's got that little cut in it like the bottom. i don't know how to explain it. On the white jerseys, i wasn't able to really compare real with movie, but I think the nameplate is a little too high.

How could they make such obvious errors? My scanner is down but I think every USA hockey member gets this magazine, so there should be others who can scan it. I'll check the internet later and compare the white unis and try and find more errors, if any, on the blue ones. In a movie about the 1980 USA hockey team, you'd think they'd at least get the uniforms right.

P.S.  I won't be responding much to this or looking at the unis for comparison this week because this is exam week for me.  I think I go to the only school left that does exams after Christmas.

they could wear the 1998 nagano jersey in the movie, for all i care... i'm just happy that someone is making a SERIOUS hockey movie. :) but my opinion is most likely in the minority on a web board about sports uniform obsessions :)

Disney is a bunch of sick bastards.

Ever see the movie SHREK, they make fun of Disney so much throughout the movie.  The Mirror on the Wall scene and the Castle with the puppets are a classic "making fun" of the evil "D". :angry:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

You guys better damn well watch what you say, Disney probably owns this message board. They own the entire world. And no, the "sex" thing is in some cloud of dust or something. There's also allegedly a penis on the cover of The Little Mermaid I believe, but then I'm not sure because I'm not some geek who sits around looking for that crap.

You guys better damn well watch what you say, Disney probably owns this message board. They own the entire world.

Does that mean I own the world?   :D  :D  :D

Note: I have a whole 2 shares of Disney stock.  Go figure!  A Sharks fan, owns part of the Mighty Ducks!

Back to topic, it doesn't suprise me they messed the unis up.  Look at the Mighty Ducks movies.  The D2 jerseys (3rd period of that gold medal game vs. Iceland) are professionally done, once they got to D3, the first set the numbers are screened, then (for the varity-JV showdown) you got the generic numberals.

Although, they did ok for Mystery, Alaska for the Rangers.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

If it's Disney, I'm surprised they didn't subliminally carve the word "SEX" or something of the likes into the ice. Ever heard of the Lion King scene with the birds where that happens?

no birds having sex but...

it's when the grown Simba is missing his father (Mufasa) after he, Timon and Pumba are gazing at the stars. when the depressed Simba flops down dust and whatnot fly out over a cliff that swirls up to display "SFX" something the animators meant to include, but the "F" can easily be misread as "E", dispaying "SEX".

with a 2 yr. old, some movies get replayed over and over ad nauseum.

the previews and 5 min behind the scenes Disney TV runs nonstop doesn't seem to look very good for the "Miracle" on Ice.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Im glad you found all this stuff before the movie even debuts. Plus it appears that the Soviet sweaters don't have their names on the back. I don't know why, and I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this, but in a couple of the commercials, Kurt Russell looks more like Bobby Orr than Herb Brooks. Just my observation.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

maybe they couldn't do everything exact for licenseing/legal reasons? dont ask why, disney could afford to pay the fee to do whatever. But in the case of names on jerseys, they probably figured they'd have to get clearance from all the

ex-soviet players etc... that's the only legitimate reason

I can conceive for them not getting everything correct.

There's a simple reason for this innacurracy: 99.5% of the general movie-going public could care less what the jersey looks like. Therefore, why invest the money getting it right?

It's the same reason why the laws of physics get thrown out the window in nearly every action movie... the public just doesn't care enough for the studio to pay the money (hiring consultants, or in this case, designers) to get it right.

Take "The Rookie" for example. The Devil Rays uniforms are incorrect as are the Rangers uniforms when he pitches in his first game. They use their current jerseys instead of the ones from the time-frame of the film.

First of all, have you noticed that it is impossible to find 1980 Team USA jerseys any more.  All of the websites that used to sell them, like www.classicjerseys.com, have mysteriously drooped them from their product lists.  I really want one, but ever since that trailer started running, they have all disappeared.

I smell a rat, er, mouse....

Also, a good costume designer in a period movie prides himself on accuracy.  The uniforms are plainly wrong, and my guess is they're wrong because somebody thought the "wrong" designs look better than the "real" ones, or because Disney plans on marketing it's version and doesn't want to pay royalties to USA Hockey...

Throwbacks are all teh rage why must DIsney have such greed. Sigh I hope they dont ruin the movie too, I saw teh Rookie this weekend on cable and was not impressed at all. As Jay Sherman would say It Stinks.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't know why, and I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this, but in a couple of the commercials, Kurt Russell looks more like Bobby Orr than Herb Brooks. Just my observation.

I just caught my first glimpse of the comercial, and man does Kurt ever look like Orr, in fact I hardly even recognized Russell

Miracle on Ice 1981

Karl Maldon - Herb Brooks

Andrew Stevens - Mike Eruzione

Steve Guttenberg (!!) - Jim Craig

Robert Pierce - Craig Patrick (Hey come on, he as in Joannie loves Chachi!!)

And still probably better than this movie is sounding.

Sadly, it appears the saying will be proven true again:

History is made by those who record it, not those who make it.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

First of all, have you noticed that it is impossible to find 1980 Team USA jerseys any more. All of the websites that used to sell them, like www.classicjerseys.com, have mysteriously drooped them from their product lists. I really want one, but ever since that trailer started running, they have all disappeared.

Hello everybody, newbie here.

USA Hockey's official online store still has both dark and white 1980 replicas available, and has for some time. (I keep looking because I'm seriously jonesing for the 2002 unis, but I'm just too cheap.)

EBB-HOCJER-010.jpg

USA Hockey: Dark Jerseys

EBB-HOCJER-007.jpg

USA Hockey: White Jerseys

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

• 10 months later...

I saw Miracle from a hockey jersey enthusiasts' perspective, and what I saw was not pretty. Except, of course, for the U.S.-Soviet game on Feb. 6, 1980.

The jerseys for both teams were remarkably accurate, down to the fact that the nameplates for the Russian jerseys weren't Cyrillic, but the English phonetic spellings.

But those jerseys were also shown on the players in the Madison Square Garden game; they didn't wear those on that day, but the stepladder USA jersey:

1980ushockeyteam-3.jpg

Of the other opposing teams, some were very inaccurate, including Norway and Finland, whose jerseys were shown as silver instead of white.

And in the Herbies scene (where Brooks put the team through several suicides after a lacklister 3-3 tie with Norway), the team had these uniforms instead of their "IIHF" jersey of 1979 which had no raglan blue on the shoulder, round letters on the nameplates (a la Arizona basketball), and an almost Old West display font on the front in a stepladder design.

Archived