Note to ESPN: Red Sox and Yankees are NOT the only teams in baseball!

rmackman

The Yankees aren't even the best team in New York!

Meet the Mets!

It says complete original Meet The Mets song, but where is the second verse?

I completely agree with the bias of ESPN. Here are some examples (as if you didn't already know):

MLB: Yankees, Red Sox

NBA: Spurs, Suns, Mavericks, Pistons

NFL: Colts, Cowboys, Patriots, Terrell Owens

NCAABB: Duke/UNC

Why doesn't ESPN give some love to OTHER teams that are having great seasons. The Indians are in first in the AL Central. Do you hear anything about them? NO! The Cavs are in the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time in 15 years. Anything about them? Also NO! It's all about how good Detroit is. And I know these are Cleveland teams only so far, but that's where I am, so it makes me mad to see them completely disregarding a good team. And when College Basketball season rolls back around, I don't want to hear everything about every single Duke player and recruit. And I don't want to hear Dick Vitale go on about how great Coach K is or how Tyler Hansbrough is the greatest athlete ever. So, with that said, DOWN WITH ESPN! For the love of God, the Yankees are like 8 or 9 games back of first!

You are forgetting Lakers and Kobe being ESPN favs

Wow, I can't believe I missed that one. My bad.

the cavs are on abc every sunday so its not like there not recognized. As faras bias id prob. add Miami Heat to that Nba list

and Broncos to Nfl

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the cavs are on abc every sunday so its not like there not recognized. As faras bias id prob. add Miami Heat to that Nba list

and Broncos to Nfl

The Broncos bias probably has to do with a sizeable amount of their football staff being former Broncos themselves. I can't say I really object to that though, it breaks up the space between stories about how T.O. was so incredibly miserable playing for Bill Parcells.

There are 28 other teams in baseball? The Yankees and Red Sox each have 6 minor league teams. That's 12 more. Where did the other 18 come from?

Sincerely,

The Staff and Management at ESPN

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

and Broncos to Nfl

The Broncos bias probably has to do with a sizeable amount of their football staff being former Broncos themselves. I can't say I really object to that though, it breaks up the space between stories about how T.O. was so incredibly miserable playing for Bill Parcells.

Additionally, if you look at all the Broncos games that were on Monday or Sunday Night football, a great deal of them, aside from the game against the Raiders, were among the best matchups of that week. The Broncos were considered to be Super Bowl contenders early in the year, and they played against New England, a fellow Super Bowl contender, Baltimore, another Super Bowl contender, Seattle, a Super Bowl team from last year and one that was considered a contender, and San Diego twice, games that had the AFC West Division Championship practically on the line. And then the game against KC, a playoff team, makes for a great rivalry game to have on Thanksgiving. Other than the Broncos/Oakland game, which always gets on National TV, like any other good rivalry, all of them were elite matchups for that particular weekend.

As for the Yankees/Red Sox constantly being on... ESPN thinks that this series/game will draw more viewers than any other. I'm sure they have a very good reason, like past ratings, to indicate that that is indeed the case. ESPN's best interest is, obviously, to show what people will watch most.

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm not impressed with ESPN's coverage, but I understand the reasoning.

There's three possible options for how to operate a station like ESPN, and number 2 could easily be paired with number 1, though it could also fit with number 3. Which ever it does fit with, it probably makes sense to show.

1. Show games that will receive the best ratings.

2. Show games that satisfy that greatest amount of people.

3. Show all teams and truly be a universal sports station.

Number 3 is a great idea, but when money and capitalism come into play, seems like number 1 becomes the leader.

Although, I do wonder if ESPN tried number 3 for a substantial length of time (enough to change their reputation of being in love with certain teams), if their overall ratings might go up.

ESPN is supposed to be a network to give us featured games not yankees/red sox or games featuring either yankees or red sox.

According to whom? You?

ESPN is supposed to be a network to give us featured games not yankees/red sox or games featuring either yankees or red sox.

According to whom? You?

Yes according to me. but since ratings=money is the only they care about, they can have there yank/red sox wank. I'll put my viewership elsewhere.

i can bitch about yanks/sox on espn until sunrise but i'm meerly wasting energy. if the majority of the viewership want yankee/red sox and since i care less about yankee/red sox and they don't care about one mans opinion. I simply watch something else and will only watch it if a match up they show appeals to me. Now in a more perfect world we would get diversity of match ups but if yankee/red sox is there money maker well they will run it until it no longer is there money maker.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

If I even get started on this topic, I will lose my frickin mind. It is so obvious the favoritism being played out. Any given time of the season, other than perhaps the Sunday Night Game of the Week, if you look at the televised baseball game schedule on ESPN, and this is the one they show on tv, each game contains the Yankees or Red Sox. If there's an early game and a night game being televised, one team's in the day game, the other's in the night game. If they're playing each other in a series, for three straight days, all they show is Yankees-Red Sox. It's utterly ridiculous. Yes, I know it's bigger market games, but they're supposed to be the Worldwide Leader in Sports... so stop showing teams that are within 100 miles (rough estimate, please correct if you can) of your damn station. Be more... "worldwide... Hell just at least show games from your own country that do not contain the Yankees or Red Sox. I know it's a novel idea, and heaven forbid they recognize the fact that there are 28 other teams in the United States and Canada playing Major Leage Baseball.

If ESPN ever got the rights to air the World Series, they'd have a heart attack once they realized the Yanks and Sox can't play each other in the Fall Classic.

It seems that Sunday Night Baseball is used to showcase the other teams. During the week, they need to go with what will generate numbers. There are thousands of Sox/Yanks fans across the US.

I don't like it. So, I don't watch it. Instead I watched the Tribe get beat up by the improving Royals! Heh... maybe watching the Yanks/Sox would've been better for me...

All of you, "waaaaaa, ESPN is biased" whiney crybaby ass bitches need to shut the :censored: up and watch your local team on your local affiliates.

Look, national TV is for the big boys only. There are about 6-8 interesting teams in MLB: Boston, New York (AL), New York (NL), Los Angeles (AL), Atlanta, San Fran (only because of Barry Bonds), and MAYBE Detroit and/or Chicago (AL). The rest of them are irrelevant...yes even the good teams like Cleveland, Minnesota, Oakland, etc. Ir-rel-e-vant. ESPN is not in the business of pumping up your team. They are in the business of making money. They don't make money off showing Nationals, Pirates, and Devil Rays games. They make money off showing Sawks/Yanks umpteen times.

You don't like it? Don't watch ESPN. Change the channel to your local podunk broadcast with your half-drunk play-by-play guy and the idiot ex-ballplayer analyst. Better yet, all of you little punk ass mother:censored:ers can put your money together and start a ESPN competitor to show your little lame ass teams and lose TONS of money in the process.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

All of you, "waaaaaa, ESPN is biased" whiney crybaby ass bitches need to shut the :censored: up and watch your local team on your local affiliates.

Look, national TV is for the big boys only. There are about 6-8 interesting teams in MLB: Boston, New York (AL), New York (NL), Los Angeles (AL), Atlanta, San Fran (only because of Barry Bonds), and MAYBE Detroit and/or Chicago (AL). The rest of them are irrelevant...yes even the good teams like Cleveland, Minnesota, Oakland, etc. Ir-rel-e-vant. ESPN is not in the business of pumping up your team. They are in the business of making money. They don't make money off showing Nationals, Pirates, and Devil Rays games. They make money off showing Sawks/Yanks umpteen times.

You don't like it? Don't watch ESPN. Change the channel to your local podunk broadcast with your half-drunk play-by-play guy and the idiot ex-ballplayer analyst. Better yet, all of you little punk ass mother:censored:ers can put your money together and start a ESPN competitor to show your little lame ass teams and lose TONS of money in the process.

My sentiments. Although the bias is ridiculous, you can get DirectTV, you can watch the local affiliate (a.k.a. TBS for the Braves for me :D), or you can watch the national broadcast. I know that all of you complaining would NOT tune in to see the Devil Rays play the Rangers if that was the game of the week. So yeah, don't like the national thing? Get DirectTV, or watch your affiliate. Don't complain because ESPN is trying to make the paper.

But about the basketball thing, Re: Chuck717's post, ESPN ignored the Pistons win in game one...It was more like "Why didn't LeBron take the game winner???" How could you miss that, ESPN was killing LeBron that whole day after.

That touches on my sentiments, though they'd have been softer. I think there are more than 8 relevant teams, as a baseball fan, but in terms of TV draw, there are pretty much the ones you list (plus the Cubs, at least when they are good). If the Yanks/Sox get more ratings than other teams, that means that even more people than us would be complaining if they did not show that game.

I agree that ESPN When Yanks/Sox/Clemens crazy yesterday. I now have a choice. Just like when Coke changed their formula (for those that remember), this is a product that I can patronize as much or little as I want. It has turned me off and curtailed my Baseball Tonight viewership when I can't even see Twins highlights after 20 minutes of Yanks/Sox and Clemens.

They show the Sox/Yanks for the same reason they don't show hockey. It's based on what people want to watch. I wish they'd spread it out better, but now the ball's in my court.

I am also old enough to remember when my local TV News telecast and newspaper was the only way to get coverage of anything, so I am somewhat appreciative that we have a national sports channel (in reference not to this thread, but to the general ESPN bashing)

Change the channel to your local podunk broadcast with your half-drunk play-by-play guy and the idiot ex-ballplayer analyst.

We have Bert Blyleven and he's actually pretty good.

(Of course, we used to have Jim Kaat who was absolutely tremendous. So good in fact, that he is now doing the Yanks on YES).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Dude, just STFU. You've lost any credibility with your unintelligent, profanity-laced drabble. Your entitled to your opinions, as are the guys who agreed with you, but they were respectable about it and didn't call everyone else babies for their views. Voice your view, but don't put down others when not warranted, especially in the horrific manner in which you did. Just say how you disagree and then state your reasons why, which although I don't agree with them, are at least legitimate points. Yet they're lost in your ranting and therefore have no respectability to them whatsoever. Get over yourself.

I completely agree with the bias of ESPN. Here are some examples (as if you didn't already know):

Why doesn't ESPN give some love to OTHER teams that are having great seasons. The Indians are in first in the AL Central. Do you hear anything about them? NO! The Cavs are in the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time in 15 years. Anything about them? Also NO! It's all about how good Detroit is. And I know these are Cleveland teams only so far, but that's where I am, so it makes me mad to see them completely disregarding a good team. And when College Basketball season rolls back around, I don't want to hear everything about every single Duke player and recruit. And I don't want to hear Dick Vitale go on about how great Coach K is or how Tyler Hansbrough is the greatest athlete ever. So, with that said, DOWN WITH ESPN! For the love of God, the Yankees are like 8 or 9 games back of first!

Wait dude, do you watch ESPN at all. First off, as someone said, the CAVS play on ABS about every sunday along with the games they played during the week that were televised on TNT and ESPN. Remember, the ESPN's posterboy is Lebron James. Secondly, you obviously haven't been watching ESPN to know the Greg Oden was playing on OSU (I know they play in Columbus) and behind Lebron, he the most overhyped player on ESPN so they were most definitely talking about OSU. Thirdly, watch a couple basebal games on ESPN during the week(weekdays). Most of the teams that play during the week, other than the Yankees or Redsox, are central division teams, NL and AL. So the Indians do play and they talk about them on Baseball Tonight. Maybe you weren't home when they were on.

Dude, just STFU. You've lost any credibility with your unintelligent, profanity-laced drabble. Your entitled to your opinions, as are the guys who agreed with you, but they were respectable about it and didn't call everyone else babies for their views. Voice your view, but don't put down others when not warranted, especially in the horrific manner in which you did. Just say how you disagree and then state your reasons why, which although I don't agree with them, are at least legitimate points. Yet they're lost in your ranting and therefore have no respectability to them whatsoever. Get over yourself.

Wait don't the Cardinals play on ESPN frequently also so McCall, I don't think you should be mad about Cardinals not playing on ESPN unless you're not mad about that and are mad about Greg's comments. As much as hate to say it, a lot of what Gregjigga said (excluding the ranting at the end) was right. ESPN doesn't care about teams on the rise like the Indians or Brewers, or bottom-off the cellar teams. All they care about is money. That's why they function like one's those gossip channels only talking about the most popular rivalries, superstars so they just can make money off them. I'm from New York City, and dislike the amount of talk I hear about the Yankees and Redsox everyday. ESPN isn't good and I like the rest of you, I wish there was a better alternate.

And whoever mentioned the Mets in this conversation needs to check ESPN again, because the Mets hardly and I mean hardly (unless they're playing the Yankees) play on ESPN. Yanks, Sox, definitely but Mets nah.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Wait dude, do you watch ESPN at all. First off, as someone said, the CAVS play on ABS every sunday along with TNT and ESPN like a couple more times of the week. Remember, the ESPN posterboy is Lebron James. Secondly, you obviously have been watching ESPN to know the Greg Oden was playing on OSU (I know the play in Columbus) and behind Lebron, he the most overhyped player on ESPN. Third, watch a couple basebal games on ESPn during the week. Most of the teams that play during the week, other than the Yankees or redsox, are central division teams, NL and AL. So the Indians do play and they talk about them on Baseball Tonight. Maybe you weren't home when they were on.

Wait don't the Cardinals play on ESPN frequently also so McCall, I don't think you should be mad about that unless you're mad about Greg's comments. As much as hate to say it, a lot of what Gregjigga said (excluding the ranting at the end) was right. ESPN doesn't care about teams on the rise like the Indians or Brewers, or bottom-off the cellar teams. All they care about is money. That's why they function like one's those gossip channels only talking about the most popular rivalries, superstars so they just can make money off them. I'm from New York City, and dislike the amount of talk I hear about the Yankees and Redsox everyday. ESPN isn't good and I like the rest of you, I wish there was a better alternate.

And whoever mentioned the Mets in this conversation needs to check ESPN again, because the Mets hardly and I mean hardly (unless they're playing the Yankees) play on ESPN. Yanks, Sox, definitely but Mets nah.

Actually, the Cardinals aren't on there all that often. More than some of the lower market teams, yeah, but still, not that much at all compared to the Yanks and Sox. The Mets are on there a good deal, but, in all reality, they do show much more AL games than NL... though most of those AL games feature, you guessed it, the Yanks or the Sox.

Wait dude, do you watch ESPN at all. First off, as someone said, the CAVS play on ABS about every sunday along with the games they played during the week that were televised on TNT and ESPN. Remember, the ESPN's posterboy is Lebron James. Secondly, you obviously haven't been watching ESPN to know the Greg Oden was playing on OSU (I know they play in Columbus) and behind Lebron, he the most overhyped player on ESPN so they were most definitely talking about OSU. Thirdly, watch a couple basebal games on ESPN during the week(weekdays). Most of the teams that play during the week, other than the Yankees or Redsox, are central division teams, NL and AL. So the Indians do play and they talk about them on Baseball Tonight. Maybe you weren't home when they were on.

Wait don't the Cardinals play on ESPN frequently also so McCall, I don't think you should be mad about Cardinals not playing on ESPN unless you're not mad about that and are mad about Greg's comments. As much as hate to say it, a lot of what Gregjigga said (excluding the ranting at the end) was right. ESPN doesn't care about teams on the rise like the Indians or Brewers, or bottom-off the cellar teams. All they care about is money. That's why they function like one's those gossip channels only talking about the most popular rivalries, superstars so they just can make money off them. I'm from New York City, and dislike the amount of talk I hear about the Yankees and Redsox everyday. ESPN isn't good and I like the rest of you, I wish there was a better alternate.

Isn't that a little bit contradictory????

And the Mets are the team they talk most about minus the Yanks/Sox duo. They are scheduled for National TV 5 times in June (ESPN or FOX), only one against the Yankees. The Yankees also have 5, and the BoSox have 4, and my O's a grand total of 0.

saBS.png

And the Mets are the team they talk most about minus the Yanks/Sox duo. They are scheduled for National TV 5 times in June (ESPN or FOX), only one against the Yankees. The Yankees also have 5, and the BoSox have 4, and my O's a grand total of 0.

Wait a second. The conversation was about ESPN not Fox, not TBS, just ESPN. Plus if you notice, FOX's broadcasts are regional so at a time when some will get the Mets others will get the Indians, or Phillies or Cardinals or Dodgers (you get the point). And don't take this personally, but no national tv telecast would be shown with teams like the O's unless they're playing a contender. Not my decision. Blame it on Fox and ESPN.

ESPN doesn't care about teams on the rise like the Indians or Brewers,

Isn't that a little bit contradictory????

And how am I being contradictory?

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Archived