"eaters" jerseys

BIGBAD

I'm watching game 2 and that is a weird field. Infield is turf. Outfield is grass. I have never seen anything like it.

Wichita St. has been like that for a long time. I think Texas Tech's is the same way. Also at Northwestern St. the infield is FieldTurf with the outfield grass.

I'm watching game 2 and that is a weird field. Infield is turf. Outfield is grass. I have never seen anything like it.

Comiskey Park had a turf infield and grass outfield from 1969 to 1976:

pastedimagegm6.jpg

Yeah but there is no dirt on this field...complete astro turf in the infield, natural grass in the outfield. It looks ridiculous.

Speaking of...does anyone know if Louisville's baseball field is FieldTurf or is that Bluegrass? It looked VERY healthy and I just couldn't tell.

Speaking of...does anyone know if Louisville's baseball field is FieldTurf or is that Bluegrass? It looked VERY healthy and I just couldn't tell.

I watched a few of the Louisville-OK State games an the announcers kept stating that the dirt areas on the field were all turf, including the batters box, baselines, and infield.

Telus Field here in Edmonton ? formerly home to the AAA Trappers, now the Northern League Cracker-Cats ? also has this. In fact, the turf extends a little beyond the basepaths into the shallow outfield ...

telus3.jpg

Is this unusual in other parts of the country? Here in Seattle, UW's field is split, as mentioned above, as well as about 50% of all high school fields. It is also becoming quite common to have the "dirt" around the bases to be brown turf. Most still have the mound and home plate with real dirt, but I've played on some that don't have a speck of dirt anywhere, infield or outfield.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight, the Irvine Anteaters play the Oregon State Beavers in an elimination game at the College World Series.

If Irvine is the away team and chooses to wear its cursive blue jersey, and OSU is the home team, you might have an interesting verbal situation.

capt.e5e59fcc5e224edf9a49acee86902d32.uc_irvine_wichita_st_super_regionals_baseball_ksow101.jpg

capt.7286f59ffd0244309f1cad017406dc0e.cws_arizona_st_oregon_st_baseball_cws125.jpg

Make your own joke here.

This thread started off by saying these particular Irvine jerseys were "very cool and unique."

Cool, maybe.

Unique, DEFINITELY NOT!

Would someone please find a photo of the home jerseys for the Northwest League's Eugene Emeralds and post a comparison for us? The E and the S on the Eaters jerseys are a DIRECT rip-off of the Ems jersey lettering.

And I don't want to read any of those "Well, they changed it and made it their own" postings!

The Ems' lettering was custom type developed exclusively for -- and paid for by -- the Eugene Emeralds.

Bad, BAD Anteaters!

Comiskey Park had a turf infield and grass outfield from 1969 to 1976:

pastedimagegm6.jpg

Yeah but there is no dirt on this field...complete astro turf in the infield, natural grass in the outfield. It looks ridiculous.

Both stadia (WSU and Lawrence-Dumont) in Wichita are like this. It's to minimize rainouts. In truth, it's probably to minimize maintenance.

The Ems' lettering was custom type developed exclusively for -- and paid for by -- the Eugene Emeralds.

Bad, BAD Anteaters!

Meh.

Universities borrow from the pros all the time. Hayden Fry, head football coach at Iowa, said he wanted his players to look like champions, so their sleeve striping, numbers, and pants look like the Pittsburgh Steelers of the 1970s (except for that little experiment courtesy Apex One of a few years back).

The logo that UConn uses on its soccer uniforms isn't the UC or the husky head, but it looks very much like the U.S. Soccer shield.

The Fullerton State Titans home uniform looks like the Padres of the 1990s.

And the Yankees' look has been pinched at times by Georgia Tech and The College of New Jersey.

The Astros' "rainbow guts" have appeared on some college baseball teams such as Louisiana State, Loyola, Denver, and Seton Hall.

Sincerest form of flattery, methinks.

brand.gif

yeah, that's pretty close. also the first time I'd ever expect to see a Eugene Ems' reference on here...their stadium is not too far from here. I need to go see a few games this summer, nothing else to do...

harperdc.gif

Archived