Cleveland State rolling out new logos

Chiefster2000

Goodbye Vike.

Vike.jpg

New logo to be unveiled in fall replacing Vike

By Jon Huff

Vike, as we know him, will soon be no more.

Come fall, Cleveland State will have a new logo.

As part of a new logo design, Vike will be replaced by a traditional Viking logo.

The change is coming to “move forward,” Brian McCann, assistant athletic director for communications, said.

The old design of Vike came at a time when logos were cartoonish, and now a more serious logo is needed, according to McCann.

“We wanted a stronger looking mark,” McCann said.

Another problem with the Vike logo was a lack of variety. Each sport at CSU had a different logo even though they were based on the basic Vike mark.

With a logo to be used in many applications and contexts, Vike was not versatile.

“A lack of flexibility with that mark has led to not using it,” McCann said. This has prompted a design that will be more adaptable to various uses.

The new logo, which will be unveiled in the fall, has been in the works for two years now, according to McCann.

The public relations office began the work on the new logo by looking at different fonts for the words “Cleveland State”. Once a font was chosen, the design of the logo started.

The logo was created by Frank Cucciare, who worked at the university’s public relations department. Cucciare developed the logo before he left CSU for Blink Concepts Inc. in Toledo. While at Blink Concepts, he completed the design.

The design is now being modified to suit various uses. According to McCann, the design will appear on everything from uniforms, facilities, business cards and stationery to T-shirts.

McCann said shirts with the new logo should be in the bookstore in early August.

The logo will also be appearing in and around the athletic facilities, most notably in the new basketball court at the Wolstein Center.

For McCann, the new logo is more than just a spiffy new look for the sports teams. It is part of the redevelopment of CSU. He is hoping the logo will help create notoriety for the university.

For those who may not have been around the university lately, he sees the logo as another way to show off the new CSU.

“It’s another step along the way,” McCann said.

As for Vike in the flesh (or foam I guess), he too will be gone.

“Vike is done,” McCann said. “We’re putting him to rest.”

While there is no design for a personified mascot yet, the search is on.

McCann said there is some possibility of involving students to draw up ideas for the mascot.

Vike is not the first CSU mascot to go the way of Beanie Babies and Britney Spear’s sanity.

Past mascots have included a version of the comic strip Viking Hagar the Horrible, which had to be replaced due to copyright issues and a cartoon fox during the Fenn College era.

http://www.csuohio.edu/clevelandstater/news/news090202.html

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that fencing one was just obvious, wasn't it?

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Ridiculous. I already miss Vike and his startling lack of pants.

Cue up another boring, humdrum logo. Wait, I'll bet they use an ITALICIZED typeface in the logo, cause you know that indicates SPEED AND POWER! And i'll bet it will be a profile shot of a Viking because god knows that's amazing! Wheee!

Another problem with the Vike logo was a lack of variety. Each sport at CSU had a different logo even though they were based on the basic Vike mark.

With a logo to be used in many applications and contexts, Vike was not versatile.

?A lack of flexibility with that mark has led to not using it,? McCann said. This has prompted a design that will be more adaptable to various uses.

uh...um...okay. so different variations of the same logo somehow equal "lack of flexibility." heh, I'd say CSU's teams shoulda been commended for adapting the vike to their needs.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I guess when seeing ALL of those logos, a single mark does make more sense.

I'll keep my eyes open around town for the new one and get it up here.

I have known about this since April.. had to keep it under wraps though.. if you look you will find the new logos.. hint hint.. athletes bags..

I guess when seeing ALL of those logos, a single mark does make more sense.

I'll keep my eyes open around town for the new one and get it up here.

I have known about this since April.. had to keep it under wraps though.. if you look you will find the new logos.. hint hint.. athletes bags..

well is a good update or a bad one??? and info u can let out of the bag??

n1434030135_30021752_9333.jpg

this one is just wrong yet my favorite. it looks like he is sporting a steel woody.

not just any steel woody... a sharp, pointy, steel woody (as if steel woody makes any sense... :wacko:)

This is the first time I've seen those different sport 'Vikes', those are quite nice.

I saw, I came, I left.

Am I wrong in remembering CSU using Hagar the Horrible as a logo (at least on merchandise) in the late-80s, or was it just a figment of my imagination?

EDIT: I should have RTFA. Hagar ruled.

Yes, you are correct, he was around until the mid 90's.

EDIT: here he is mascot.jpg

Archived