Tokyo unveils 2016 Olympic bid logo

jcjr81

It looks kind of like they're trying to get every possible cause ribbon into one image. But upside down.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I like it. I'm very much in favor of logos that use exclusively the 5 Olympic colors. This is a simple, classy, elegant design. And, the shout-out to the Japanese flag between "Tokyo" and "2016" is an excellent touch.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

I like it in general, though it looks to me like someone is trying to hang himself using flat ribbon cords from an old computer.

My only real knock against this is too many gradients make the image unnecessarily muddled. I'll grant the logo one gradient, on the right side, to show the bound ribbon fading away into indefinite space. But the gradients under the knot are too strong and give the impression more of a ribbon being cut than of one being bound together. It also gives the binding part of the image a flat, two-dimensional appearance in the middle of what is supposed to be a three-dimensional logo. It would be better of the lines just stopped rather than fading out.

But otherwise, it seems a strong logo that does a good job of communicating local identity and universal Olympic identity. Hard to imagine anyone creating a better noose-based Olympic logo anytime soon.

20082614447.png

I like it. I'm very much in favor of logos that use exclusively the 5 Olympic colors. This is a simple, classy, elegant design. And, the shout-out to the Japanese flag between "Tokyo" and "2016" is an excellent touch.

Great logo, just bad timing for the Japanese to bid on the games with Asia "just" having the 2008 games by then.

While people say Chicago is the early favorite, I still think it'll be Rio if only for the fact the Olympics rarely see South America as a host continent.

I'd like to see the USA get it, but Rio wouldn't be a bad option either. As for the time zones, Rio is only 2 hrs. ahead of Eastern time. Would be nice for TV viewing.

Better weather and TV stations would eat the place up since it's Rio and rather colorful and full of the culture that we're beaten to death with by networks.

It looks kind of like they're trying to get every possible cause ribbon into one image. But upside down.

Oh no! The world will be ending. We agree. :D

I think it is kinda kinky too. But remember that these bid logos are usually much better than the games logo.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

It's okay, but this could be a lot better by simply taking away the 'knot' and just leaving the ribbon, which to me symbolizes lanes on a track.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'd like to see the USA get it, but Rio wouldn't be a bad option either. As for the time zones, Rio is only 2 hrs. ahead of Eastern time. Would be nice for TV viewing.

Only problem is the Olympics would have to be held in October, as was Mexico City 68 ... not truly "summer" ... Oct. would be bad timing ... MLB wraps up, NFL draws more attention, college football heats up.

I know not all considerations are made with the U.S. in mind, but the majority of the TV money comes from there.

Only problem is the Olympics would have to be held in October, as was Mexico City 68 ... not truly "summer" ... Oct. would be bad timing ... MLB wraps up, NFL draws more attention, college football heats up.

I know not all considerations are made with the U.S. in mind, but the majority of the TV money comes from there.

The Sydney 2000 games began on September 15 and seemed to work out fine.

The Sydney 2000 games began on September 15 and seemed to work out fine.

I was checking on the climate for Rio and it appears that July - September would be the best time for Rio to hold an Olympics.

http://www.wordtravels.com/Cities/Brazil/R...Janeiro/Climate

I saw, I came, I left.

Well since Rio is south of the equator it would be the spring if it was in October. Just like Sydney and Melbourne which hosted the games from Nov. 22 to Dec. 8th. The only other cities in the Southern Hemisphere to host the games.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

September wasn't the ideal time to host the Summer Olympics as, well, it wasn't summer. But then it being Australia, it's not exactly winter either. September also forced the AFL and possibly NRL seasons to come forward a few weeks so the Grand Final was not on the last Saturday in September. None of that amtters though, I still got to Sydney for the games.

I'd like to see it go to Rio. The USA have had their fair share of Olympic Games and it's never been to South America, so why not host them there? Introduce the rest of the world to Brazil.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived