Vick indicted

hrivnak

Eh, I'm in the camp that this might have the Kobe effect...People figured Kobe was going to be ineffective, going from courtroom to basketball courts, and, aside from being injured some of that year, he was, for the most part, spectacular. Having that chip on his shoulder, for some reason, made him better. I'm not saying this is a good situation, but if having this enormous chip on his shoulder is what it takes for Vick to start performing great on the field, then so be it. Under all this darkness might be a blessing in disguise in the form of a hard, hard lesson.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, I'm in the camp that this might have the Kobe effect...People figured Kobe was going to be ineffective, going from courtroom to basketball courts, and, aside from being injured some of that year, he was, for the most part, spectacular. Having that chip on his shoulder, for some reason, made him better. I'm not saying this is a good situation, but if having this enormous chip on his shoulder is what it takes for Vick to start performing great on the field, then so be it. Under all this darkness might be a blessing in disguise in the form of a hard, hard lesson.

Provided he's innocent. If he's guilty, forget it. There's no field for him to play on.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Provided he's innocent. If he's guilty, forget it. There's no field for him to play on.

Sure there is, remember "The Longest Yard"?

I saw, I came, I left.

I don't care if does play spectacular, I just want to cheer for my team, without worrying about what's going on in the courts. The fun's been taken out of this season. I don't care if Vick takes them to the Super Bowl, if he's found guilty... it will be a hollow victory.

Despite all the evidence mounted againist him, I dont think M. Vick will serve any jail time. As for the NFL, I say two game suspension, four games at max.

M. Vick is the "face" of the NFL in Atlanta (or that is what the media tells us). he is a big national star, has a big endorsement deal, both he and Goodell know this. They can't suspend him for more then 4 games, despite the bad PR, still to valueable to the NFL product.

As for the trial, I feel after many pre-trail delays, regardless of what evidence or how damning the evidence, day before closing arguements, reached plea bargin. Plea bargain, he rats out the others, does community service, and makes a big $$$ PR donation to someplace. Plea bargain occurs 2nd half of season, if in playoff run M. Vick suspend last two games of season or first four games of 2008 season, out of playoff contention M. Vick does 4 games at end of 2007 season.

Basically, delay delay, keep quite keep quite, nudge nudge, wink wink, let the media die down, have him roll over and give him minimal suspension.

~~the dmr~~

There are many differences between Kobe's situation and Vick's. In fact, the only things that the cases really have in common is that in each case, a prominent athlete stands accused of doing something that the general public regards as unspeakably heinous.

Kobe's case was to be adjudicated below the federal level. Which means local prosecutors were seeking to reel in their big fish, even if it meant they'd be hopelessly outmatched by whatever high-powered defense lawyers Kobe could find. And Kobe's situation boiled down to a "he said, she said" account of what really went on in the hotel room that night. I don't know, and I don't particularly care; the case is out of the system, and that's that. Vick is in the crosshairs of the feds, who get their man 95% of the time. The fact that there's been a federal indictment means they're sure they're going to get their man, and they have the resources and the talent to see it through.

But more germane to your point is comparing Vick and Kobe athletically. Kobe has always been a one wolf, which suits him fine. He's the most talented player in the league, let alone his own team. Also, with Kobe being what he is, he doesn't seem to be much of a good teammate. Simply put, he doesn't need to be there at practice so guys can figure out how to throw him the ball. He doesn't rely on his teammates to the point that he has to get timing down, and work as part of a team unit (even though basketball is supposed to be a team game, 5 guys working as 1, yadda yadda yadda).

On the other hand, Vick CANNOT play without his teammates. For every pass he throws, he relies on his receivers to run proper routes, make proper reads, and catch the ball. Every time he runs, he needs to know where his blocks are coming from. Hell, for every snap he takes, he is directing 10 other individuals to help him succeed against 11 other guys running highly sophisticated schemes to stop him. Vick can't just zip back and forth from Richmond to Atlanta, missing 2 and 3 practices a week and just expect everything to mesh with the offense by magic come Sunday afternoon. That's why practice is all about getting your reps with the 1st team, to perfect your timing and your ability to function as an effective unit.

It'd be different if Vick were a back or a receiver, but asking him to QB a team he's not playing and practicing with is asking too much. Chip on his shoulder or not, he's fooling himself if he intends to play this year as the Falcons' #1 QB.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

and be sure he will get off on this as far as the law goes...why?...........................$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We're talking about federal charges. If you think money for high priced defense attorneys can get a person off- go talk to Jeffrey Skilling. The ex publisher of the Chicago Sun Times was just convicted and he's a Lord. The former governor of Illinois was convicted. Money doesn't keep guy in organized crime out of prison.

The feds don't play around with iffy cases. They aren't your local DA. Odds are either Vick does time or he flips on other dog fighters.

MONEY DOES KEEP HIGH PROFILE ATHELETES AND CELEBRITIES OUT OF JAIL.......two words here ....PLEA BARGAIN

A plea bargain would be an absolute outrage if that were to go down.

I want nothing less than a season ban for Vick. Two would be better. Get this done, Roger Goodell.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

To dmr and puckhead...do you guys understand that these are FEDERAL charges? This isn't Law & Order. The ADA isn't going to plea him down to get the "real" bad guys. Vick looks more like the guy that will be rolled on rather than the guy doing the rolling. The feds go for the ring leaders, and will learn on the henchmen to get it done. This is serious freaking business. The feds don't give a damn if he's Mike Vick, Mike Jones, Mike Lowery, or Mike Jenkins. They aren't going to have stars in their eyes or ask for autographs after the court appearances. These are cold blooded, trained professionals.

I'm not gonna lie. Deep down, I really hope that Vick didn't do this crap and that he skates. While I don't see either of those as being realistic, please let's not lose sight of the fact that he is "presumed innocent until proven guilty." With that said, IF, and that's a big ol' if, Vick gets off, it won't be because he's rich and famous.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

There are too many Entertainers....sports....actors.....musicians...that think they are above the law......I could ramble on but...if you have the Status and the cash....you can buy your way out of almost any crime....Its pretty much a fact.......sad but true...I also dont know if dog fighting is ..organized crime ....but what has happened here is........wether Vick was involved or not is just awfull.....like I said...I grew up in that area and dog fighting was no secret in the rural areas...a person I had known had a pit named chopper......a retired dog thad had a tooth from another dog imbedded in its skull......sick....upon ending with this post ...and it will be my last on this subject.....no one is above the law......Falcon quarterback or pizza maker.........use your head and make the right choices in life.......common sense will tell you that dog fighting...drugs....murder..... is not something you want to involve yourself with.....but I have one question.....who would be able to defend themselves better....the pizzamaker or the quarterback........one has dough....one has cash.......

There are too many Entertainers....sports....actors.....musicians...that think they are above the law......I could ramble on but...if you have the Status and the cash....you can buy your way out of almost any crime....Its pretty much a fact.......sad but true...I also dont know if dog fighting is ..organized crime ....but what has happened here is........wether Vick was involved or not is just awfull.....like I said...I grew up in that area and dog fighting was no secret in the rural areas...a person I had known had a pit named chopper......a retired dog thad had a tooth from another dog imbedded in its skull......sick....upon ending with this post ...and it will be my last on this subject.....no one is above the law......Falcon quarterback or pizza maker.........use your head and make the right choices in life.......common sense will tell you that dog fighting...drugs....murder..... is not something you want to involve yourself with.....but I have one question.....who would be able to defend themselves better....the pizzamaker or the quarterback........one has dough....one has cash.......

Did anyone else look at this and think to themselves, "Nah, no thanks."?

I don't read stream of consciousness message board postings. Sorry.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

the computer and typing is not my strong point...I was trying to post links to the newspaper that contains some good info...and pictures of the Vick case...sorry for any problems I may have caused....dsgitlin......sorry to offend you with my ignorance and lack of computer knowledge.....no one is perfect......now...back to my task of my 426 HEMI rebuild........

There are too many Entertainers....sports....actors.....musicians...that think they are above the law......I could ramble on but...if you have the Status and the cash....you can buy your way out of almost any crime....Its pretty much a fact....... [truncated for brevity]

Did anyone else look at this and think to themselves, "Nah, no thanks."?

No, but I did laugh out loud at the irony of the highlighted blurb.

Pucks, it's good to know that you actually took the time to read Jigga's insightful post. For your next Larry King-style parade of ellipses, please tell us how Michael Vick can buy his way out of a FEDERAL INDICTMENT. He's not going to be able to buy out the United States government. The Feds are the ones bringing charges; the US government is his opposition. Not some two-bit local DA who's worried about re-election come November. The investigators aren't Andy Taylor, Barney Fife and the rest of the Mayberry yokels. The federal government can unleash the full might and resources it has to make a case against Vick.

But no, you were right - ignore the common sense posts the rest of us are throwing up here, and go back to your rambling. Screw it - this one won't be read either. Why don't I just post this, courtesy of "Billy Madison":

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." ^_^

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

What part of "The Federal Government > Some rich sports guy facing dog fighting charges, no matter the amount of cash or stroke he has" you can't get through your skull? Even if he plea bargains (Which I'm not sure the procecution will want to do anyway since Vick seems to be at the centre of this all, based on the indictment), he's still facing jail time and a felony conviction, still a pretty stiff slap by all accounts.

I eagerly await your next edition of "Rich and Powerful Guys beat Federal Raps all the time, just ask John Gotti and Al Capone!" <_<

[edit] Curses, D, you beat me to it! :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

VA's seeking an indictment against Vick as well.

I'm beginning to think that a leave of absence would be nice.

That would be best for the team. Too bad Blank won't do it. It would be nice though, if he said, "Mr. Vick, why don't you take some time off, for the sake of the team? Come back when you get all this resolved." Pay him for all I care, but I want to get this distraction away from the team... It's not about guilt or innocence, just keeping sanity in camp.

Archived