Vick indicted

hrivnak

Guess it ain't "alleged" anymore. Say goodbye to the NFL, Michael. You will become, fairly or not, the biggest "bust" in terms of #1 overall draft picks.

Jay Berwanger

Chose not to sign with the team that drafted him.

Ended up as a carpenter IIRC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I probably would eliminate anyone who never actually played a game in the NFL. To me, it's impossible to be considered a bust when you were never even on a roster. That's a wasted draft pick, not a bust.

With that said, Jay Berwanger was drafted in 1936! Carpenters made more money than NFL players back then. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I probably would eliminate anyone who never actually played a game in the NFL. To me, it's impossible to be considered a bust when you never even on a roster. That's a wasted draft pick, not a bust.

With that said, Jay Berwanger was drafted in 1936! Carpenters made more money than NFL players back then.

Well, yeah...I forgot to mention that. :P

(although the carpenter would have to be employed under a New Deal program)

/threadjack

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wikipedia says he went on to become a sportswriter and manufacturer of plastic car parts (an odd combination, in my opinion).

Do you think there's any chance that Vick will ever play in the NFL again? Maybe even the CFL would give him a shot at redemption?

Maybe he can play in the afl2 with Maurice Clarett.

Do you think there's any chance that Vick will ever play in the NFL again? Maybe even the CFL would give him a shot at redemption?

If it were up to just NFL coaches then yes Vick would be signed the minute someone could sign him, actually he'd probably just remain a Falcon for the length of his prison sentence. NFL coaches have never shown a propensity for leaving a "bad guy" on the outs over character or criminal issues. (See Lawrence Phillips or Christian Peter and a host of others.) Darrell Henley was in jail and playing for the Rams on work release. All he did in jail was try to set up a hit on the judge who was presiding over his case. That was ok though because he was a decent cover guy.

The point is if you can play and help a team win that's all that matters to NFL coaches. Under Paul Tagliabue I'd say yes that Vick's chances of playing again were very good, hell it would be a certainty. Tagliabue would let Vick read some statement about how sorry he was and that he's seeking help and teams would be lined up out the door for his services. Clearly Roger Goodell doesn't see things the same way Tagliabue did.

To answer your question, if Goodell doesn't suspend Vick for life, and I don't think he will, there will be no shortage of teams willing to roll the dice on Michael Vick once he's out of jail. It will be a PR nightmare for a little while but if he says and does all the right things he can weather it and come back. Most coaches couldn't care less about character if a bad guy means three more wins. They only play the character card on special teamers and back-ups. Star players can do whatever they can get away with. It's just the way it is.

Personally, I think if the guy does his time and stops the criminal behavior that landed him in jail in the first place he should be allowed to come back. He may not want to and I doubt he'd be welcomed back with open arms but if he "pays his debt to society" he's done all that he's required to do.

Just my opinion...

BB52Big.jpg

Wikipedia says he went on to become a sportswriter and manufacturer of plastic car parts (an odd combination, in my opinion).

Maybe he can play in the afl2 with Maurice Clarett.

You're thinking of Quincy Carter. Clarett didn't even make the af2; he got approached by infamous indoor football shyster Jim Terry to play for a couple of chicken*bleep* organizations.

Today, we are all otaku.

Guess it ain't "alleged" anymore. Say goodbye to the NFL, Michael. You will become, fairly or not, the biggest "bust" in terms of #1 overall draft picks.

Especially since the Falcons essentially traded LT among others to get him.

The Falcons traded the pick that eventually became Tomlinson, but the Falcons need at that time wasn't a RB. Tomlinson wouldn't have been picked by the Falcons.

The only player the Falcons traded was Tim Dwight, for all intents and purposes was just a kickoff returner. The Falcons weren't going to draft a franchise QB in both the first and third rounds. Remember, this is a team that was just a season removed from a Super Bowl run....the team believed they weren't far away from getting back there.

Can we ban the next person that makes a Longest Yard reference?

Just ban TNak when he makes another Longest Yard reference since he's the only one doing it. :P

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If it were up to just NFL coaches then yes Vick would be signed the minute someone could sign him, actually he'd probably just remain a Falcon for the length of his prison sentence. NFL coaches have never shown a propensity for leaving a "bad guy" on the outs over character or criminal issues. (See Lawrence Phillips or Christian Peter and a host of others.) Darrell Henley was in jail and playing for the Rams on work release. All he did in jail was try to set up a hit on the judge who was presiding over his case. That was ok though because he was a decent cover guy.

The point is if you can play and help a team win that's all that matters to NFL coaches. Under Paul Tagliabue I'd say yes that Vick's chances of playing again were very good, hell it would be a certainty. Tagliabue would let Vick read some statement about how sorry he was and that he's seeking help and teams would be lined up out the door for his services. Clearly Roger Goodell doesn't see things the same way Tagliabue did.

To answer your question, if Goodell doesn't suspend Vick for life, and I don't think he will, there will be no shortage of teams willing to roll the dice on Michael Vick once he's out of jail. It will be a PR nightmare for a little while but if he says and does all the right things he can weather it and come back. Most coaches couldn't care less about character if a bad guy means three more wins. They only play the character card on special teamers and back-ups. Star players can do whatever they can get away with. It's just the way it is.

Personally, I think if the guy does his time and stops the criminal behavior that landed him in jail in the first place he should be allowed to come back. He may not want to and I doubt he'd be welcomed back with open arms but if he "pays his debt to society" he's done all that he's required to do.

Just my opinion...

Also take into account that this involves illegal gambling and the climate currently in sports about gambling with the NBA ref and Rick Tocchet. That is where he is going to land into big trouble in the NFL. He bankrolled, bet, and was at the head of an organized gambling ring. He's going to get a big suspension for that alone not even taken account the gruesome details of the dog fighting. He's going to get at a minimum 1 year on top of his jail time. Because of the gambling I wouldn't be surprised if they suspended him permanently.

That said even if he only gets a year suspension I can see him not actually playing in the NFL again. He will have gone 2 years (at least) of not playing and not being in game shape. Then you will have protesters outside any team that signs him. Also consider he wasn't that great of a QB to begin with and was just pretty much a runner playing the position (and he will be slower by then) I can see teams being reluctant to sign him and he might be reduced to holding a clipboard (either immediately after or after he a few games when he is benched because of rust from not playing).

Since most of you have already spoken for my opinion, I'll keep my comment short and sweet:

Mike Vick

Sucks D :censored: k

If he doesn't now, he probably will within the next two years or so :P

I heard on the radio that South Carolina was/is thinking about filing charges against Vick, which if convicted, he would face some 40 years in prison. Has anybody else heard about this?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I guess he'll have a chance to come back.... Just probably won't be with the Browns.

browns_sm.jpg

I nominate making any further use of this joke a banworthy offense as well.

Today, we are all otaku.

I heard on the radio that South Carolina was/is thinking about filing charges against Vick, which if convicted, he would face some 40 years in prison. Has anybody else heard about this?

I don't know about the South Carolina part, but the 40 years comes from some state's penalty of animal cruelty, where the penalty is 5 years per animal harmed/murdered. Hence the 40 years for the 8 dogs Vick allegedly had a hand in harming/murdering.....

Archived