Vick indicted

hrivnak

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Falcons' Vick indicted by grand jury in dogfighting probe

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 17, 2007, 5:57 PM ET

Michael Vick has been indicted by a federal grand jury in connection with the dogfighting probe of his property in Virginia.

The indictment alleges that Vick and his co-defendants began sponsoring dogfighting in early 2001, the former Virginia Tech star's rookie year with the Falcons.

The Falcons quarterback was indicted for conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District in Richmond, Va. Three others -- Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor -- also were indicted by the grand jury on the same charges.

The indictment states: "If convicted on the Travel Act portion of the conspiracy charge, each defendant faces a statutory maximum of five years in prison, a $250,000 fine, and full restitution. If convicted on the animal fighting venture portion of the conspiracy charge, each defendant faces one year in prison, a $100,000 fine, or both. The indictment also includes a forfeiture allegation seeking recovery of any property constituting, or derived from, proceeds obtained directly or indirectly as a result of these offenses. "

According to court documents filed by federal authorities earlier this month, dog fights have been sponsored by "Bad Newz Kennels" at the property since at least 2002. For the events, participants and dogs traveled from South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland, New York, Texas and other states.

Members of the venture also knowingly transported, delivered and received dogs for animal fighting, the documents state.

Fifty-four pit bulls were recovered from the property during searches in April, along with a "rape stand," used to hold dogs in place for mating; an electric treadmill modified for dogs; and a bloodied piece of carpeting, the documents said.

The property was used as the "main staging area for housing and training the pit bulls involved in the dog fighting venture," according to the filings.

State and federal officials load coolers of evidence into a truck as they search the grounds behind a home owned by Michael Vick in Smithfield, Va., on July 6.

The documents said the fights usually occurred late at night or in the early morning and would last several hours. The winning dog would win from "hundreds up to thousands of dollars," and participants and spectators also would place bets on the fight.

Before fights, the participating dogs of the same sex would be weighed and bathed, according to the filings. Opposing dogs would be washed to remove any poison or narcotic placed on the dog's coat that could affect the other dog's performance. Sometimes participants would not feed a dog before the fight to "make it more hungry for the other dog," the documents said.

Fights would end when one dog died or with the surrender of the losing dog, which was sometimes put to death by drowning, strangulation, hanging, gun shot, electrocution or some other method, according to the documents. The property has an above-ground swimming pool, and investigators were seen looking into the pool Friday.

During a June search of the property, investigators uncovered the graves of seven pit bulls that were killed by members of "Bad Newz Kennels" following sessions to test whether dogs would be good fighters, the documents said.

Members of "Bad Newz Kennels" also sponsored and exhibited fights in other parts of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, New Jersey and other states, the filings said.

On June 7, federal law enforcement officials descended on the property with a search warrant. More than a dozen vehicles went to the home early that day and investigators searched inside before turning their attention to the area where officials found dozens of dogs in late April and evidence that suggested the home was involved in a dogfighting operation.

Surry County officials had secured a search warrant in late May based on an informant's information to look for as many as 30 dog carcasses buried on the property. The warrant never was executed because Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald G. Poindexter said he had issues with the way it was worded.

The results of that search have remained sealed.

At the time, Poindexter expressed surprise at why the federal government was involved.

"What is foreign to me is the federal government getting into a dogfighting case," Poindexter said. "I know it's been done, but what's driving this? Is it this boy's celebrity? Would they have done this if it wasn't Michael Vick?"

A day later, "They launched a separate, independent federal investigation," Poindexter said of the government, which has had a representative involved in the local probe all along.

A search warrant affidavit said some of the dogs were in individual kennels and about 30 were tethered with "heavy logging-type chains" buried in the ground. The chains allowed the dogs to get close to each other, but not to have contact, one of myriad findings on the property that suggested a dogfighting operation.

Vick initially said he had no idea the property might have been used in a criminal enterprise and blamed family members for taking advantage of his generosity. He also put the house up for sale and reportedly sold it quickly, although there is no record that the sale has closed. Vick has since declined to talk about the investigation.

ESPN reporter Kelly Naqi and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Well, innocent until PROVEN guilty... but they say that where there's smoke there's fire, and the smoke just got a whole lot thicker.

I agree.

Dammit, Vick.

Or maybe I should say "Dammit, Ookie."

Damn this is looking REALLY bad now. If Vick is really and truly the heavyweight behind this (which is looking more and more true...ugh, first Ron Mexico, now OOKIE?!), then this is just horrible and we can do without him.

If this is his cousins, then he SERIOUSLY needs to distance himself from them, because if this what your own family does for you, then they gotta go, even if it is family.

But dammit, Ookie.

I started to read the article, but got sick and skipped past it.

Jesus Christ. Free college, drafted with the first pick, an appearance on the cover of a video game, and you still need to drown and electrocute dogs (allegedly).

F you, Michael Vick.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I hope he goes away for a long time. If I was a Falcons fan I would be happy though, as I have said for years, Vick is the most overrated athlete of all time. ESPN loves this guy for whatever reason, what has he ever done in the NFL? The Falcons will never win with him.

Once Goddell bans him for the season I hope the rest of the NFL players get the point that they can't do whatever they want because they are pro athletes.

Starting at Quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons #13 Joey Harrington.

That is scaring me to death right now. I mean, the Vick thing is horrible, but JOEY HARRINGTON AS STARTING QB makes things worse, IMO.

In defense of Vick ON THE FIELD, without him we were successful probably once every couple years every decade. And coming to think of it...dammit, it was the same. We were successful for a couple of years with Vick, and now it's gone down the :censored:ter. So, assuming Vick gets the conviction and is gone forever, and Joe Harrington is the starter, that's still freakin' scary.

Starting at Quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons #13 Joey Harrington.

That is scaring me to death right now. I mean, the Vick thing is horrible, but JOEY HARRINGTON AS STARTING QB makes things worse, IMO.

I've heard reports already that the Falcons might go after Dante Culpepper is Vick is suspended or anything. Not sure how that makes the folks in Atlanta feal, however.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Daunte Culpepper and Joey Harrington...so we're gonna have the starting QBs for the 2006 Miami Dolphins? (minus Cleo Lemon :lol:) We are so assbackwards. Poor Petrino.

C-Pep won't be ready until mid season anyways, and he's done as a starter, that wouldn't fix the problem at all.

As for Vick...Red Foreman says all that needs to be said: "Smarten up....dumbass."

Now I know where Marcus Vick got his attitude from.

I liked you Vick, why did you have to turn out such a jackass? :down:

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I guess it's really going to be funny when he gets off for this. Let's wait and see what happens. mmmkay????

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Good thing Matt Schaub was expendable!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I guess it's really going to be funny when he gets off for this. Let's wait and see what happens. mmmkay????

Of course he's going to get off for it. You have to be an idiot to think otherwise. The thing he won't get off with is the inevitable punishment he'll receive from Goodell.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived