Do you keep score at baseball games?

spyboy1

I still do it, and everyone around me thinks I'm absolutely nuts for it - I'm the only 19 year old there interested in the ball game.

I'm a bit older, but that pretty much sums things up for me. My scorebook had the preprinted diamonds and room to at least write down the number of balls and strikes. I actually ended up feeding a few interesting facts to some of the media at the games (e.g. consecutive batters retired, pitch counts, etc.)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oddly enough, the one place where I saw the most scorekeeping was the ol' Stade Olympique during the Expos' final season.

Best baseball fans I ever saw were at Olympic Stadium... MLB/Expos Ownership destroyed what was a great baseball market

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

i was at the phils/nats 14 inning game last night and kept score. there were a bunch of kids in my section, a few enjoying one of their first ever MLB games in person. however the only person keeping score was me and a few elderly people. its a shame because everytime i go up to the park i never see anyone under 50 keeping score

Oddly enough, the one place where I saw the most scorekeeping was the ol' Stade Olympique during the Expos' final season.

Best baseball fans I ever saw were at Olympic Stadium... MLB/Expos Ownership destroyed what was a great baseball market

Aint that the truth. I had the best time there in terms of talking to the other fans and getting a feel for the game from them. Out of anyone in the league, those Expos diehards were truly there for the love of the game, nothing more.

Worst? Giants "fans" at the PacBell Bandbox. Cellphone yappers, snotnosed fratboys and obnoxious louts. Not many too knowledgeable on the game, more there for the garlic fries, sushi, and the general scene of the place. Sheesh, makes me miss Candlestick and the true bundled-up diehards with their "Croix de Candlestick" pins - back when going to the Giants game meant going to the game and not some expensed business perk for some downtown lawfirm.

Worst? Giants "fans" at the PacBell Bandbox. Cellphone yappers, snotnosed fratboys and obnoxious louts. Not many too knowledgeable on the game, more there for the garlic fries, sushi, and the general scene of the place. Sheesh, makes me miss Candlestick and the true bundled-up diehards with their "Croix de Candlestick" pins - back when going to the Giants game meant going to the game and not some expensed business perk for some downtown lawfirm.

Not to mention they're the only "WiFi" stadium (MLB or any sports league, I don't remember) in America.....

Not to mention they're the only "WiFi" stadium (MLB or any sports league, I don't remember) in America.....

pretty sure the AAC in Dallas is "WiFi"... but that's not a "stadium"... it's an arena...

at least i think it's wifi. i think cuban was touting that. i've never tried to bring my laptop to the rink. lol.

I never keep score at baseball games because I was that geeky, klutzy kid who loved to play baseball but was always relegated to the bench and had to keep score. Basically, they always kept me on the teams because I was a good scorekeeper. So you can see why I don't want to keep score at games now.

I dont keep score usually (beer gets in the way) but like to do so on occassion.

My dad and I just got back from Cincy, saw them beat the Brewers in 10. Dad snapped this pic of the ultimate old time, home town, big league city, real baseball fan,

Radio...check

Scorebook..check

Well worn Reds gear...Check

Pretty sure he had the obligatory bag of peanuts too (there was another lady we passed on the wayout of GAPB that was 65 if she's a day and had she had a scorepad too)

whyBallMatters.jpg

And here's Valentin running out his single in the tenth and Adam Dunn scoring the game winner

winninhHit.jpg

RobbyBox2.jpg

I went to a minor league game last night with my 3 year old and didn't keep score. I had no frickin' idea what was going on, no idea how runners got on base, was surprised when we scored, never knew what inning it was, spent at least a half hour at the "kids fun zone" and left the game early. What a total non-baseball night at the ballpark that was.

If I don't keep score, I'm just part of the background noise. :mad:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I went to a minor league game last night with my 3 year old and didn't keep score. I had no frickin' idea what was going on, no idea how runners got on base, was surprised when we scored, never knew what inning it was, spent at least a half hour at the "kids fun zone" and left the game early. What a total non-baseball night at the ballpark that was.

If I don't keep score, I'm just part of the background noise. :mad:

So, basically, you were the ideal modern baseball "fan" for the night. I do hope you took advantage of the WiFi and banking facilities as well.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I just went to a Hudson Valley Renegades v.s Mahoning Valley Scrappers NY Penn league game. I kept a complete score card. The Gades lost and it was a boring game. But I think keeping score keeps fans interested in the action. I'm going to go again today when H/V Renegades play the Lowell Spinners, I think i'll do it again...

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

Since I've worked at RFK Stadium covering Nats' home games for the last three years, I've taken score at every single game I've been to in DC (about 150-plus games). I keep the score sheets from every one too. They're sitting right here in my file cabinet...

Of the many dozens of games I've seen in Baltimore, however, I think I've only kept score at about 5 Orioles' games total. But I've got those scorecards too somewhere...

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Are you sure you weren't at a Pirates game?

oBIgzrL.png

I learned something today at Shea don't keep score in the rain. By the time the 4th Inning rolled around my pencil was carving the paper and the score card was all over my shirt.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Tonight I got up to a Kane County Cougars game and kept score. It really keeps you focused on the game when most people don't have an idea what's going on. Between Kane County and the Burlington Bees there was only one starter with a batting average over .300, that was hard to believe. I would say that this is a dying art, I think that I was the only one in the park that was keeping score.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived