Blue Jays to go retro in 2008

CC97

"Nixon bunts!...Timlin on it...throws to first.......for the first time in history, the World Championship banner will fly north of the border! The Toronto Blue Jays are baseball's best in 1992."

I personnaly prefer the ending of the next World Series... Carter's homerun! I always been an Expos and Jays fan...

But God I hated those Pearson Cup games back in the 80's... Who does remember these?

I personally just died a little bit reading your post, Le Q. Long live Mitchie-Poo's batting practice "fast"ball.

Here's hoping they go back to the 2nd uniforms - the button-down versions of the original, with the logo moved off-center (or off-centre... and yes, I am pandering :flagcanada:) but with the white front panels on the caps.

And I can vouch for bucfan's link 100% - I got an original Jays cap with the white front panels. It's done correctly, unlike the American Needle hackjob (and it looks even worse in person; the blue outline is glaringly out of place). I got 2 caps from Mickey's that were shipped quickly, and they fit perfectly - which is always my biggest fear in buying gear over the internet. But with their stuff, a 7 3/8 really was a 7 3/8.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would be a cool new trend if more teams adopted retro Fridays or Sundays. I hope the Jays go with their inaugural unis myself.

Yup. I also hope more teams jump on the retro bandwagon (i.e. the Mets in their racing stripe unis from the 80's, the A's in their colorful "Swingin' A's" era uniforms from the 1970's, the Red Sox in their 1975 unis, or the Astros rainbow-styled get-ups from the 70's and 80's).

I'm up for anything but the White Sox wearing shorts again!

My personal favorite is the Mariners trident M. But another more cynical way of looking at this retro-trend is that MLB is looking for ways to sell more merchandise. Since a majority of teams have introduced new uni's in the past 5 years or have classic logos/uniforms that would never be changed, they need a new revenue stream. Baseball cannot go through a year without introducing a new Alternate uni/cap or a uni revision. I like the retro but it should be novelty because it could get out of hand.

Out of hand? The over abundance of Alternate jerseys is already out of hand, so why not shift to retros vs. these alt. jerseys that either jar the eyes or all look the same - Angels, Braves, Diamondbacks, Nationals . . . red, red, red, red. At least the Reds' red jersey makes some sense. The cat's out of the bag, and MLB is not the NFL (uniform control freaks, which I appreciate frankly).

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, CC but didn't the Jays start wearing the all-blue hat (which had been their road hat up to that point for a few years) at home midway through the 1993 season? If so, do you remember why they started to?

I'm just wondering if they do retro Fridays next year if they'll use the original hat with the white front panel or the all-blue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, CC but didn't the Jays start wearing the all-blue hat (which had been their road hat up to that point for a few years) at home midway through the 1993 season? If so, do you remember why they started to?

I'm just wondering if they do retro Fridays next year if they'll use the original hat with the white front panel or the all-blue.

You are correct, they switched midway through the 1993 season. They did so because they thought the white-panel caps were bad luck, after they switched to the blue ones they went on a bit of a home winning streak - I believe they brought the white-panel caps back once again only to start losing again before finally switching to the blues full-time.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I'm all for the Jays bringing back the original logo for special nights- I <3 that logo! Much better than the black-dominated logo used today.

I wonder, what's next? The Cleveland Indians revive the all-red uniform of the mid-1970s? To that, I say: BREAK OUT THE DISCO MUSIC!

UBwef0L.png

Me too - I see a Halladay purchase in my future if this is what they go with...though I'd probably buy a Halladay regardless of which one they pick, as long as it's from the WS era.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I was hoping that the Royals would introduce a powder blue shirt soon. Not an exact throwback, but a revisiting of powder blue as a Royals color, to be worn at home as a second alternate. (or first, since I'm not wild about the plain blue one.)

As have all Royals fans for many years now. When they introduced their True. Blue. Tradition. marketing campaign, I thought that the powder blue color of the last word was a sign of things to come. But alas, as far as I know, the Royals have not sported a speck of powder blue since 1991. Too bad it would no longer work as a road alternate (due to clashing pants [no one would propose powder blue pants nowadays]), and I've always loved the blue alternate. But a powder blue jersey with royal blue letters/trim and white pants would be a great look.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

You are correct, they switched midway through the 1993 season. They did so because they thought the white-panel caps were bad luck, after they switched to the blue ones they went on a bit of a home winning streak - I believe they brought the white-panel caps back once again only to start losing again before finally switching to the blues full-time.

I find it funny how they'd think that wearing their World Series caps were bad luck...

Then again, they did win the WS in 1993 as well.

If this were to be an ongoing trend in the MLB, I'd kill to see these bad boys...heck, full-time I'd love these:

al_1962_losangeles.gif

As for the Jays, I'm expecting these, since I just can't see a pullover jersey these days:

al_1991_toronto.gif

I find it funny how they'd think that wearing their World Series caps were bad luck...

But when they won in 92 they were not wearing those caps (on the road, wore the blue ones)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

If this were to be an ongoing trend in the MLB, I'd kill to see these bad boys...heck, full-time I'd love these:

al_1962_losangeles.gif

As for the Jays, I'm expecting these, since I just can't see a pullover jersey these days:

al_1991_toronto.gif

I would really love to see the LA Angels uni's but the issue would to have New Era to do cap right. According to Distant Replays and Mickey's Place, the 61-64 Angels cap is one of the most requested but New Era will not make it. We can always hope.

But when they won in 92 they were not wearing those caps (on the road, wore the blue ones)

That's true, both World Series clinchers the Jays were in blue hats ('92 in Atlanta, '93 at home). I'm hoping that's what they break out on Fridays next year.

1993_World_Series_Game_6_Joe_Carter_Television_Graphic.JPG5a3d96e5.jpg

Personally I'd like to see every team go with the last jersey before 1993 where they had a successful year (with some exceptions) and expansion teams going with their inaugural season...so in essence here are some ideas:

Angels: 1986

Athletics: 1974 or something from their Philly World Champion teams. Like 1929 (best year ever for the A's)

Mariners: 1982 or 1987..hell perhaps 1977?

Rangers: 1974 (first winning season) or 1991 (last winning season before 1993)

White Sox: 1983 or 1959

Indians: 1948 (though I like their 80s jersey...it'd just be a reminder of futility)

Tigers: 1984

Royals: 1985

Twins: 1987 (maybe even 1924?)

Orioles: 1983

Red Sox: 1975

Yankees: 1981 (perhaps 1923?)

Devil Rays: 1998

Blue Jays: 1992

Diamondbacks: 1998

Rockies: 1993

Dodgers: 1955

Padres: 1989 (Mostly I just miss these) Also 1984 and 1969 are acceptable. Though I'm tired of the 84 jerseys.

Giants: 1954

Cubs: 1989 or 1908

Reds: 1990 (last world title) or 1940 (first legit world title)

Astros: 1986

Brewers: 1982

Pirates: 1979

Cardinals: 1987

Braves: 1982

Marlins: 1993

Mets: 1986

Phillies: 1983

Nationals: 1981

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012