San Jose Sharks: What I would've done.

][ncognito

Ok, so this is a quasi-concept. I took the new official sharks logo, and modified it to how I would've liked to see things. I liked the concept behind it, but some of the execution was poor IMO. This is what I would've changed.

1. I dropped the stick. We all get it. It's a hockey team. We don't need to see the stick there. Personally I find it unnecessary and a little cheesy.

2. Kept the triangle border around the whole triangle like on the original. A few complained about the shark fading into nothing in that corner. I tried to touch that up.

3. Dropped the orange. An unnecessary addition. Black, Gray, Silver, Teal, White. Perfect for an aquatic themed team.

4. Made separate home and road logos. White triangle on white jersey is a little redundant. Now you get a teal triangle on the white, silver on the teal.

Overall I think this makes the logo look a little more classy. Less robotanime style, more lifelike appearance.

SharksUpdates2.png

What do you guys think? If I get a chance, I might try and whip up some jerseys to go along with this.

UPDATE:

Jersey:

Marleau.jpg

Thornton.jpg

classy, not too much going on, and i love that your dropped the orange (which i think everyone can agree on).

good work, i really hope to see a jersey set on these

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

This looks great. My favorite part is the dark gray on the shark's body, I think that looks much better than the teal that they went with.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

awesome... simply awesome... and i dont even know anything about hockey... have to agree though, dropping the orange helped and the use of grey as opposed to teal on the shark makes it look better... dropping the stick was a great idea, id love see these on the sharks uniforms...

This is 3,000 times better. Much cleaner, more iconic, more relevant (sharks are GREY .. thank you).

I always think its a bit silly when you feel you have to reference your sport in your logo. Plus the idea of a broken stick never really seemed to take me down a path of thought where it ended being a positive thing in any way. It'd be like showing a flat basketball dangling off the claws of the Toronto Raptors logo.

It only makes me think of a scene in any movie where the big guy comes to play and doesn't know his own strength, so he ruins the game for everyone by either breaking the backboard, throwing the ball so far that its gone forever, popping the ball, emptying the pool, etc.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Working on some jersey ideas right now :)

This is 3,000 times better. Much cleaner, more iconic, more relevant (sharks are GREY .. thank you).

I always think its a bit silly when you feel you have to reference your sport in your logo. Plus the idea of a broken stick never really seemed to take me down a path of thought where it ended being a positive thing in any way. It'd be like showing a flat basketball dangling off the claws of the Toronto Raptors logo.

It only makes me think of a scene in any movie where the big guy comes to play and doesn't know his own strength, so he ruins the game for everyone by either breaking the backboard, throwing the ball so far that its gone forever, popping the ball, emptying the pool, etc.

Thanks :) That's exactly what I've been trying to explain to people about the stick. Hockey fans already know it's a hockey logo. Non-hockey fans really aren't going to care if there's a stick in there or not.

OK, for a first run uniform concept:

SharksHome.jpg

SharksRoad.jpg

Again kind of blending old with new. I dropped the current more radical design in favor of a simpler design somewhat reminiscent of their inaugural jerseys. I put a bit of a curve on the stripes to match the new curve of the logo. I recolored the old shoulder logo to match the moderized shark.

Great job with the jersey!

simple, but clean, very effective!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

excellent job on the jerseys... love em, absolutely love em... simple design, i wouldnt mind seeing something a little more extreme for the sharks, but this totally gets the job done, great use of the colors, and just all around good lookin uniform... i also like that you didnt use any grey on the jersey even though it was in the logo... i dont mind the teal on the actual logo, but this does look better, i have to admit... anyway, gray and silver on the jersey would have just been redundant... kudos for knowing what youre doing!

excellent job on the jerseys... love em, absolutely love em... simple design, i wouldnt mind seeing something a little more extreme for the sharks, but this totally gets the job done, great use of the colors, and just all around good lookin uniform... i also like that you didnt use any grey on the jersey even though it was in the logo... i dont mind the teal on the actual logo, but this does look better, i have to admit... anyway, gray and silver on the jersey would have just been redundant... kudos for knowing what youre doing!

Originally I was going to do a full sleeve in color (Click). However I though the current version posted looked better. After seeing how I currently had them, I liked the clean look like the original jerseys had. Maybe I'll see what I can do for a more unique styled third.

Alternately, I had a few people clamor for the stick to be on there, so I whipped this up quick. Personally I think it looks better without it, but it's some what of an improvement of the original stick I think.

Marleau3.jpg

Not a bad concept overall. The colour scheme works far better than teal and orange for the Sharks. And I have to agree with those who like the stick in the logo: it just doesn't feel right without it there. It's like removing the 'H' from the Canadiens' logo.

The only thing that bothers me is that the white jersey feels a lot like the Ducks' old white one. Perhaps you could try removing the thin white stripes between the silver and black stripes.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived