"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone ever really believe that USF was a better team than say Georgia?

Georgia? Yes. Didn't Georgia almost lose to Troy?

Not quite.

Sure, Troy led by a FG after the first quarter, but Georgia led by 14 at the half, 14 after three quarters, and was leading by 17 very late in the fourth quarter until Troy scored a meaningless TD with well under a minute to play. The game was closer than many thought it should be, but the outcome wasn't really in doubt once Georgia took the lead for good late in the second quarter.

I would usually say I'm being unbelievably crazy by saying this, but it is a definate possibility:

LSU vs Missouri

If Mizzou wins out, which would include beating currently undefeated Kansas and probably Oklahoma in the Big 12 Title game, they would more than likely leapfrog, say Oregon, where the PAC 10 has no title game, only the round robin. And by beating those two teams, they'd be beating to currently top 4, if not higher by that time, BCS ranked teams. It is definately not impossible, quite the contrary.

And while I, even a die-hard Missouri fan, know without a doubt that Kansas is an unbelievably great football team this year, when it comes to KU-Mizzou, records, rankings, and standings really don't one bit of difference. It's just a good old-fashioned rivalry, one of the nations best, and both teams are extremely successful this year and staring straight ahead with their eyes on the Superdome.

I would usually say I'm being unbelievably crazy by saying this, but it is a definate possibility:

LSU vs Missouri

If Mizzou wins out, which would include beating currently undefeated Kansas and probably Oklahoma in the Big 12 Title game, they would more than likely leapfrog, say Oregon, where the PAC 10 has no title game, only the round robin. And by beating those two teams, they'd be beating to currently top 4, if not higher by that time, BCS ranked teams. It is definately not impossible, quite the contrary.

And while I, even a die-hard Missouri fan, know without a doubt that Kansas is an unbelievably great football team this year, when it comes to KU-Mizzou, records, rankings, and standings really don't one bit of difference. It's just a good old-fashioned rivalry, one of the nations best, and both teams are extremely successful this year and staring straight ahead with their eyes on the Superdome.

Whoever wins the Big XII, assuming they win out, is playing in the National Championship game, I think.

IUe6Hvh.png

Whoever wins the Big XII, assuming they win out, is playing in the National Championship game, I think.

Not if it's Kansas. Mark my words, the BCS will find a way to screw an undefeated Kansas out of the title game.

Of course, Kansas ain't winning the Big XII anyway, so it'll be a moot point.

BTW, the Huskies didn't do themselves any favors losing to Cincy yesterday. Personally, I hope we never see the Bearcats again. They've owned us since they joined the Big East (now 4-0 all-time). Hopefully they can take care of West Virginia next week and put UConn back in sole possession of first place.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Not if it's Kansas. Mark my words, the BCS will find a way to screw an undefeated Kansas out of the title game.

Of course, Kansas ain't winning the Big XII anyway, so it'll be a moot point.

BTW, the Huskies didn't do themselves any favors losing to Cincy yesterday. Personally, I hope we never see the Bearcats again. They've owned us since they joined the Big East (now 4-0 all-time). Hopefully they can take care of West Virginia next week and put UConn back in sole possession of first place.

No way. Any undefeated champion from the big 12 will play for a national championship. The big 12 is too big of a conference to not have an undefeated champion play in the BCS championship.

and yet the worldwide disrespect for the Hawaii still happens.

1) Their strength of schedule is RIDICULOUSLY low.

2) They struggle against their opponents....with a ridiculously weak schedule.

3) Having actually watched them play once or twice....they aren't that good.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Co-signed for truth. Boise St. got away with it last year because they actually played a decent schedule, and were impressive in their games. In other words, San Jose St. didn't take Boise St. to the limit.

And their lack of defense.

And the fact that Colt Brennan got the Friday treatment last night...

(BTW, The Friday treatment = 'You got knocked the :censored: out!')

And their lack of defense.

(BTW, The Friday treatment = 'You got knocked the :censored: out!')

Pretty good analogy for lack of respect for Hawaii:

- Hawaii defeats La. Tech 45-44 in overime, when La. Tech unsuccessfully goes for a two point conversion to win.

- LSU starters defeat La Tech 44-7 in three quarters, then LSU second string defeats LA Tech starters 14-3 in 4th quarter.

It is what it is.

1.) you mean having to scrap together getting teams after Michigan State bails on us and Michigan won't play us at the big house? meaning we have to find teams that need a game so we have to get 2 FCS teams?

2. Struggle? this season should prove even with a weak schedule you still have to win every game... and we see thats hard for any team to do.

3. Aren't that good? posting the highest scoring total per game and having a top 40 defense?

and:

(BTW, The Friday treatment = 'You got knocked the censored.gif out!')

knocking out an opponent by a helmet-to-helmet hit by a head hunting spear isn't something to be proud of doing and then cheering about it as the guy lays on the field not moving.. thats alot of class.

spacer.png

1.) you mean having to scrap together getting teams after Michigan State bails on us and Michigan won't play us at the big house? meaning we have to find teams that need a game so we have to get 2 FCS teams?

Well...that shot was also directed at the WAC, which looks to be a little down this year. Yes, this is beyond Hawaii's control, but it then becomes on them to dominate opponents. Something they fail to do, especially on the road.

2. Struggle? this season should prove even with a weak schedule you still have to win every game... and we see thats hard for any team to do.

Funny...Ole Miss, LSU, California, and Boise State had no problem beating Louisiana Tech (certainly didn't need La Tech to botch a 2-pt. conversion for the win). By the same token Stanford, Arizona State, Kansas State, Boise State, and Fresno State had no trouble beating San Jose State.

3. Aren't that good? posting the highest scoring total per game and having a top 40 defense?

With that schedule, you should AT LEAST manage that.

As a more practical matter, Hawaii needs that offense because their defense is rather poor. I came away from the games I watched them play essentially thinking that they would lose handily to any other BCS bubble team. Moot point though...if Brennan misses a week, this team's toast.

-----------------------------------

I have the suspicion that last year's Boise State team would beat this year's Hawaii team by two touchdowns. Maybe more, depending on how inaccurate Colt Brennan is.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Rolling up points against West St. Mary's School for the Blind isn't that awesome when you're running a gimmick offence.

As for that defence, I hope they can be in the Top 40 in scoring defence when their FBS opponents are an average of 90th/119 in scoring offence. Anything less would be A-level high school...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I have the suspicion that last year's Boise State team would beat this year's Hawaii team by two touchdowns. Maybe more, depending on how inaccurate Colt Brennan is.

Even in Hawai'i, I'd put the spread at Hawai'i +16.5, because Boise State could not only keep the clock going and keep Hawai'i off the field, but could score in a hurry if need be. Remember that 2006 Boise State beat them by 7 in Boise before they really got their offence rolling later on that season. This year's Hawai'i against the Fiesta Bowl Broncos? Boise St. at -29. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived