"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can Syracuse :censored:in fire Robinson already? How the hell hasn't he been fired yet

You know, I still wonder that myself. I thought he was gone the moment after his team failed to punch it in on the goal line against Iowa last season. How do you NOT get it in?!?

But, I assume that why Robinson hasn't been canned yet is because there is actually a chance to do a worst-to-first kinda thing in the Big East. Remember, this ain't Duke or Baylor or Vandy. This is Syracuse. They have some tradition in football, they just need the right guys.

As for the Washington/Wazzu conversation: It's all different where ever you live. For me, being in Washington State, it was how it worked. When I was young, it was the heyday of Washington football. Everybody was a Huskie fan and if you rooted for the Cougars, you were a dead man. Now, it's probably about the same as what you said about Alabama/Auburn.

I also think that it's the only two programs in the state that makes a difference. In Alabama, it's not just about the Tide and the Tigers. You have UAB and Troy to share the spotlight. In Washington, those two were it. Eastern Washington is I-AA and Gonzaga doesn't have football.

There. I'm done. *whew*

Can Syracuse :censored:in fire Robinson already? How the hell hasn't he been fired yet

You know, I still wonder that myself. I thought he was gone the moment after his team failed to punch it in on the goal line against Iowa last season. How do you NOT get it in?!?

But, I assume that why Robinson hasn't been canned yet is because there is actually a chance to do a worst-to-first kinda thing in the Big East. Remember, this ain't Duke or Baylor or Vandy. This is Syracuse. They have some tradition in football, they just need the right guys.

As for the Washington/Wazzu conversation: It's all different where ever you live. For me, being in Washington State, it was how it worked. When I was young, it was the heyday of Washington football. Everybody was a Huskie fan and if you rooted for the Cougars, you were a dead man. Now, it's probably about the same as what you said about Alabama/Auburn.

I also think that it's the only two programs in the state that makes a difference. In Alabama, it's not just about the Tide and the Tigers. You have UAB and Troy to share the spotlight. In Washington, those two were it. Eastern Washington is I-AA and Gonzaga doesn't have football.

There. I'm done. *whew*

Not really. Even People in Birmingham could care less about UAB. It's the Crimson Tide all the way up there. (Hence, why some Alabamian's call it 'Bammer-Ham') and Troy fans are usually Troy Grads (and there are tons, Troy has one of the largest enrollments, total and student wise of many universities); Montgomery residents or Pike County people.

You forget that I was born in Washington State. I feel that it's part of my blood to root for for Washington. I can change, but it would take either some massive brainwashing or an 0-12 season.

Nice to see you have the courage of your convictions. "I'm all about Washington. It's in my blood...as long as we don't totally suck." B)

BB52Big.jpg

What changes if we have a playoff? This does. The argument shifts from Ohio State, Missouri, and West Virginia, to Wisconsin, Illinois, Virginia, Hawaii, BYU, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, etc. It doesn't solve the problem it simply changes the focus of the same old argument. Basketball allows 65 teams in the tournament and there are still arguments every year over who got snubbed.

You can come up with a much better argument for a playoff than "it will end a debate."

:EDITED for comedy:

that a challenge? :P

stinkoman.PNG

You know what? I'll never admit it but you people are actually beginning to change my view of a playoff. I don't know if you're just wearing me down or what. I'm still not crazy about the idea but I have to admit it does have some merit. This season has made a pretty good case for a playoff. Not that I'd ever admit such thoughts publicly. B)

changing the world, one person at a time...

That's very similar to my own plan, actually. (I didn't check to see what he used to determine seeding.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

changing the world, one person at a time...

Don't get carried away. I'm still 90% against the idea of a playoff. :P But here's an idea of what it would look like this year according to yahoo... Thoughts?

2_27_11_07_12_21_43.jpg

EDIT: After having read the article, I realize my initial comments were pointless.

after reading this article i've changed my mind.

i said earlier that mid-majors would have to go undefeated or have one loss, i amend that now. winning a conference championship is more than enough (if for no other reason than because that school has accomplished what 5 other playoff schools could not). i thought about neutral sites (not sure if i posted that thought or not), but i like the idea of home field advantage more. not only would it eliminate the need for (many) fans to travel, it also kinda dims the argument about games being exciting near the end. see, kansas-mizzou for home field advantage and an easier route to the title is close enough to kansas-mizzou for the chance to play oklahoma and if they win that a national title to excite a national audience.

Wetzel has a lot of good points in his argument, and they are presented much better than mine were. probably why he gets paid to do that and i spend time arguing with the editor of the university newsletter here. ^_^

Don't get carried away. I'm still 90% against the idea of a playoff. But here's an idea of what it would look like this year according to yahoo... Thoughts?

For the fun of it, based on that graphics, here are my picks if there were a playoff:

First round -- Missouri over Central Michigan. USC over Oklahoma. Kansas over Hawaii. Georgia over BYU. West Virginia over Troy. LSU over Boston College. Florida over Virginia Tech. Ohio State over Central Florida.

Second round -- USC over Missouri. Georgia over Kansas. LSU over West Virginia. Ohio State over Florida.

Semifinals: USC over Georgia. LSU over Ohio State.

Championship: USC over LSU

Here's what I know:

No one knows anything. Seriously, It's like two states in one big pissing contest.

The Alabama side:

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said Thursday he's not going to rush through his negotiations with university officials toward a new contract despite ``a sense of urgency outside in the public eye, but contracts take forever.''

Tuberville also told his weekly Tiger Talk radio audience that ``I'm not looking to go anywhere.''

The taped interview came as various Arkansas media outlets reported Thursday night that Tuberville is on the verge of signing a contract with the Razorbacks. A source who talked to Tuberville on Thursday evening denied the reports.

Tuberville had meetings with Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs and university President Jay Gouge early in the week. They didn't meet Wednesday or Thursday.

``We're not going to run and jump through this,'' Tuberville said. ``I'm looking to make sure that people understand for us to get better, this program needs to take some steps in some areas for us to improve.''

Tuberville also said, ``What we've done - and what we'll probably do for another week - is sit down and look at the best circumstances for this team and program. There are a lot of variables you need to look.''

More in Friday's Birmingham News

From the Birmingham News

As for the extension. Yes, he was offered a seven year extension. No one will say whether or not he took it. Here's all the rumors I've heard so far. (and my take on them)

1. He wanted a raise (8-5 teams that lose to South Florida and Mississippi State don't deserve raises)

2. He wanted security for his assistants (Again, not gonna happen. His assistants are some of the problems, including our OC)

3. He wanted a facilities upgrade (Nope. Sorry Tubby. We already have a new student union, a new basketball arena, a new outdoor pool, a new indoor tennis facility, and a new student housing project currently being built. Get in line.)

Here's what we now for certain. Talks began on Monday. On Tuesday, the report came out about the extension. On Wednesday Tuberville left for his "annual hunting trip" in his home state of Arkansas. At this point negotiations were turned over to his agent Jimmy Sexton. Then, all the speculation began about his going to Arkansas.

What are the Auburn fans saying?

Me personally, I could care less. If he stays, fine. If he goes, fine. We know what we were getting when he told Ole Miss the only way he'd leave would be in a Pine Box. If he does leave, we'll get a better coach (fingers crossed for Bobby Petrino). If he stays, that's fine, but somethings WILL need to change.

It's the hip thing to do....SEC West coaches switching from one school to another.

Tommy Tuberville (Mississippi, Auburn)

Nick Saban (LSU, Alabama)

Sylvester Croom (Alabama, Miss. State)

Houston Nutt (Arkansas, Mississippi)

To be fair, Croom never coached at Alabama (at least not as a head coach, I'm unsure if he was ever an assistant). However, there are tons of SEC Players who ended up coaching at other schools. Including some of the conferences greatest coaches:

Bear Bryant (played at Alabama, coached at Kentucky)

Pat Dye (Played at Georgia, coached at Auburn)

Vince Dooley (Played at Auburn, coached at Georgia)

Coming up next...the Rutgers seminar on how to completely gag away a huge lead on national television...

Oh...and based on the above discussion, would I be safe in accusing the SEC of being "inbred" when it comes to coaches? ^_^

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived