New York Post: New England Patriots

Eye

This has been going on in the New York Post ever since the Patriots spying/cheating scandal came out. Obviously the New York Post took exception to this because it happened to one of "their" teams. So wherever it has the Patriots' name (standings, bettors line, stats, etc.) there is always an asterisk next to their name, with a little caption at the bottom saying "*Caught cheating" I have been meaning to post this for a while, but I have not gotten around to it until now. It's late, but I will try to post a picture of what I mean from today's or tomorrow's New York Post.

What do you guys think of this? Do you think this is warranted? Or is it petty and time for these people to let it go because of the adage "everyone is doing it" or "if you aren't trying to gain an advantage, you aren't trying to win"?

Maybe some others who live in the area can shed some more light on this matter.

I'm not so sure it warrants an asterisk... I hate asterisks, even in Bonds' case. But it should be considered when looking at the Patriots dynasty and Bill Belichick, I think. To be honest, I think the cheating goes deeper than we've been lead to believe... to a point where the NFL may be trying to cover it up. The fact that Goodell said he would get to the bottom of it, and then the NFL quickly destroyed the tapes and we haven't heard from them since is a bit suspicious, no?

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm all for something if it's genuinely funny. I'd let you make fun of me, my wife, my mother(well, you could make fun of her regardless), my football team, anything, so long as it's funny.

This... really isn't, much like the CHEATERS types in the Top 5 threads, it just kind of gets old. (I feel the same way about 756* for the record, although I thought branding the ball was amusing enough as a twist on the story.) After a while, it really just boils down to self-righteousness. If someone wants to take a stand and say "because the NFL did not do this, this, and this to the Patriots, I'm no longer supporting their product", then I'd say good for them. Same with baseball and Bonds. But repetitive type, whether online or in print, just really gets to be boring.

Well, it's the Post. The newspaper is a joke anyway, so why shouldn't the sports page be? I take that back a little, because the sports page is what makes the NY Post worthwhile. They've got a definite point of view, and long-time readers know this. The "Cheaters" thing fits in with the direction of the paper and, thus, I have no problem with it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Well, it's the Post. The newspaper is a joke anyway, so why shouldn't the sports page be? I take that back a little, because the sports page is what makes the NY Post worthwhile. They've got a definite point of view, and long-time readers know this. The "Cheaters" thing fits in with the direction of the paper and, thus, I have no problem with it.

Those "in the know" only read the Post for the sports section and Page Six. Unless you work for New York State then you read Fred Dycker's column on the happenings in state government. The asterisk is just The Post being The Post.

the patriots are not cheaters, they simply have a very good if not hall of fame coach and very good team to win and be competitive. the cheating part are just part of teams being jealous because they can't beat the patriots, except for indy who didn't complain about cheating last year. there not cheats, just really good. B)

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

This has been going on in the New York Post ever since the Patriots spying/cheating scandal came out. Obviously the New York Post took exception to this because it happened to one of "their" teams. So wherever it has the Patriots' name (standings, bettors line, stats, etc.) there is always an asterisk next to their name, with a little caption at the bottom saying "*Caught cheating" I have been meaning to post this for a while, but I have not gotten around to it until now. It's late, but I will try to post a picture of what I mean from today's or tomorrow's New York Post.

What do you guys think of this? Do you think this is warranted? Or is it petty and time for these people to let it go because of the adage "everyone is doing it" or "if you aren't trying to gain an advantage, you aren't trying to win"?

Maybe some others who live in the area can shed some more light on this matter.

Um, it didn't happen to one of "THEIR" teams. "THEIR" teams are the Yankees, Yankees, and Yankees.

Everyone else has to REALLY do something to warrant the headlines...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm glad to see that someone noticed this in The Post...and I'm glad that they're doing it.

FACT: The Patriots were caught cheating

FACT: Their "dynasty" is now tarnished. Billy B is now tarnished. If you're caught once, it just begs some questions...how long has this been going on? What else have they done?

They didn't forfeit their draft position next year for no reason...they were caught cheating. You make your bed...you lie in it.

SB40terribletowel.jpg6220steelers.jpglicense_thum.jpg

Why would he be tarnished? :therock:

Because he's made of aluminum, brass, copper, and/or silver? :unsure:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

FACT: Their "dynasty" is now tarnished. Billy B is now tarnished.

Can Steel Curtains become tarnished? Just wondering. I don't remember my physical science class completely. It was so long ago. :PB)

Can Steel Curtains become tarnished? Just wondering. I don't remember my physical science class completely. It was so long ago. :PB)

.. well, put the steel in some acid and see what happens ....

I saw, I came, I left.

Who says? You? I had no idea that was a fact. :rolleyes:

...the pats haters that say 'almost as if he somehow knew moss would be open' after brady hits moss in the endzone. face it, once they got caught they opened the door for people to question everything they've done in the past and everything they do now. especially now that they're DOMINATING every team they face and show no signs of slowing down. the haters will hate, the doubters will doubt, and the speculators will speculate, and if it were any other team you would be one them. admit it.

Depends how you take it.

I think it's funny on a non-serious level. It's subtle, so it's not overdoing it. But it's funny.

As for whether a real asterik should be warranted on the dynasty...well...much like my thoughts on Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, and those guys (Bonds does fall in this category, as I believe what I'm about to suggest has already been done for him), I believe there's enough evidence to warrant a further investigation if you're so inclined, but not enough concrete evidence to condemn yet.

Now, there's obviously a difference. There is concrete evidence that the Pats cheated, and so they should be punished. But if the quesiton is did they cheat during the dynasty, and in a severe way to call it into question...well that needs more investigation.

I'll look at it differently, because let's be honest, I was looking for any excuse to not take the Pats seriously. I've wondered since it happened about a conspiracy in Super Bowl XXXVI...and now that there's reason to maybe believe...well, I'm gonna keep the hope alive. But I can do that as a diehard Rams fan.

Stepping back as an outside observer of the NFL...there needs to be more investigation if you're going to condemn the Pats to such a large extent.

Unfortunately, I don't see that investigation happening. The NFL doesn't seem to want to do it, and they're powerful enough to block anyone else who does.

Archived