Ballparks of the Future

pcgd

http://www.mlb.com/mlb/fan_forum/cisco/

Pretty cool site with video of the upcoming new stadiums. Plus links to other ballpark news like the renovations at Kaufman Stadium and links to gallerys of construction and other things.

Pretty neat!

I thought there were going to be Cherry Blossom trees behind the left field stands at the Nationals new park...did I miss them in the video?

One question: when building a new ballpark, how is the criterion for drawing the outfield?

I remember that the Pirates built the Kiner's Korner to help Ralph Kiner hitting his HRs. But it was one special situation and after the departure of Kiner, that Korner was leveled down.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Let's visit www.ballparks.com

Also, Ballparks of Baseball

See "Future Ballparks"

For the interest of full disclosure, I have made a few comments on Twins Baseball: 2010

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

One question: when building a new ballpark, how is the criterion for drawing the outfield?

I remember that the Pirates built the Kiner's Korner to help Ralph Kiner hitting his HRs. But it was one special situation and after the departure of Kiner, that Korner was leveled down.

Can't really do that these days because of how often players come and go. I'm not sure how they decide to do it, though... current day roster and how the front office likes to build their teams might come into play a bit.

IUe6Hvh.png

Can't really do that these days because of how often players come and go. I'm not sure how they decide to do it, though... current day roster and how the front office likes to build their teams might come into play a bit.

Did you see that it was a very good question? ^_^

I'd like to know the answer. Why Fenway Park has that centefield? How was decided the outfield of the new Philadelphia ballpark? Etc!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I think you could argue that the new stadiums in San Francisco and in Houston were slightly modeled around their lineups at the time.

With Bonds a lefty, a short porch was created in right field. And with a heavy righty lineup in Houston, a short porch in left.

Of course the House that Ruth Built allegedly has a short right field because of the Babe.

I think you'll find it goes the other way much more though. Whiteyball in St. Louis was built on speed and good defense because of the turf at Busch. You want groundball pitchers in Colorado, etc.

In the case of Philadelphia's ridiculously shaped outfield, it is about contrived retro-ness. I hate nooks and crannies that serve no purpose (like in the real old stadiums, building around other structures, etc.)

As for why it is so short, that is the stupid owners wanting to see as many homers as possible hit there because homers sell tickets (at least in their eyes.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In the case of Philadelphia's ridiculously shaped outfield, it is about contrived retro-ness. I hate nooks and crannies that serve no purpose (like in the real old stadiums, building around other structures, etc.)

As for why it is so short, that is the stupid owners wanting to see as many homers as possible hit there because homers sell tickets (at least in their eyes.)

Is this a good place to mention how much I hate Minute Maid Park?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I wish they would have the Twins ballpark facing the southeast (from home to center) instead of northeast. That way, you'd get a great look at downtown Minneapolis.

But I sure can't wait for the ballpark to open. I'm really looking forward to it.

Is this a good place to mention how much I hate Minute Maid Park?

Is there really a bad place to rip on Enron Field Minute Maid Park?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived