Dodgers return to the Coliseum

dirwuf

Didn't the XFL play in Pac Bell Park? That was an interesting setup IIRC.

Correct. There have also been bowl games played there and at Safeco Field and Bank One Ballpark/Chase Field.

Before the arrival of the Ravens, there was talk of having an NFL team play at Camden Yards while a new stadium was built. Thankfully, that never came to pass.

I want to see a diagram of that so bad, it's not funny.

I think Rice Stadium was demolished several years ago. You can also scratch Kezar Stadium and Frank Youell Field from any list, as they've also been razed or remodeled to a point where they're unsuitable for pro football.

Seeing the Steelers play in the parking lot where Three Rivers once stood would be interesting though... or watching the Dolphins play the Browns in the underwater, artificial reef that was formerly Cleveland Stadium.

Sorry gang. My headcold meds are kicking in. Getting some weird thoughts.

The Steelers could play an Arena Football game in the Peterson Events Center which was built on the site of Pitt Stadium.

For that matter they can play in the Posvar Hall, where Forbes Field once stood.

Arena Baseball??? Could it work? Maybe/maybe not??? When I would think about it, I thought about the short porch to certain hitters. According to this, problem solved, just build a high tension net like the hockey ones we have. Put that on left handed hitters' side cause there aren't to many of us/them. Basepaths would be between little league and softball length. The balls wouldn't be hard, but some rubberized version, and wood bats would still be used. The only thing is... There are soooo many logistical problems yet with this haha.

That reminded me of indoors baseball and kickball in gym class last year when it was still too cold to go outside...and a different crazy monstrosity of a kickball-like game the teachers made up...good times, good times. (indoors soccer beats any of them, though...soccer with hockey-like rules , nets, and goaltending ftw)

oBIgzrL.png

Don't forget that in the mid-90s, the L.A. Coliseum was renovated and the field was lowered about 10 feet. With that, the field dimensions would even shorter than they were in 1958. However, they may have do some trickery to get reasonable dimensions, all things considering of course.

• 3 months later...

Direct link to gallery

I want that Dodger Dogs sign.

Are they wearing a special patch for this game? This is from the main page, advertising an auction for these jerseys:

aCOGwhDb.jpg

I'd love to see the Dodgers play a game at the coliseum. Two things I wonder about though...How many fans will show up? (I'm hopin for 100,000) and IT BETTER BE ON TV!!!!! OR ELSE!!!

Well, the Coliseum holds 92,000 people, so 100,000 would be a little difficult to achieve. :D

Actually they reduced the capacity in 1995, from a capacity of 101,574 since 1932.

Unless you sell SRO, which the Dodgers are doing. 100K is very doable.

Which brings me to my CONCEPT....

Arena Baseball??? Could it work? Maybe/maybe not??? When I would think about it, I thought about the short porch to certain hitters. According to this, problem solved, just build a high tension net like the hockey ones we have. Put that on left handed hitters' side cause there aren't to many of us/them. Basepaths would be between little league and softball length. The balls wouldn't be hard, but some rubberized version, and wood bats would still be used. The only thing is... There are soooo many logistical problems yet with this haha.

Well I guess Indoor Softball never made it to Wisconsin. We had it here in Maryland for a while in the 90's at a few of the indoor soccer joints. It died a fast death due to many blown knees and huge strawberries. I played for a season and it was wild, kinda silly, but a good way to have fun before beers. But I think there was some one getting hurt every game.

And now for something kinda unbelievable...there are 16 Stadiums OLDER than Camden Yards.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Come to think of it, the Raiders even might count for this at the Coliseum, for this reason: Apparently years ago, the football field had different alignments depending on whether baseball was still being played. Once the A's season ended, apparently they would rotate the football field 90 degrees for the rest of the season.

This is correct. I always wondered what they did for season ticket holders...

i.e. what if you had 50-yard line tickets? Did they relocate your seat when they rotated the field, or did you just have a seat and an entirely different angle?

Also, here's a scary thought:

After the 2008 season, the 3 oldest NL parks:

Wrigley Field

Dodger Stadium

Joe Robbie Stadium (I know, I know...Dolphin Stadium).

...and soon that'll be Coors in 3rd...

Hell, just last year the list was:

Wrigley Field

Dodger Stadium

RFK Stadium

Shea Stadium

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

It would almost have to be like those baseball fields in vacant lots, where the wall is divided into lines dictating the amount of bases.

VmWIn6B.png

It would almost have to be like those baseball fields in vacant lots, where the wall is divided into lines dictating the amount of bases.

Wiffleballs, man. Wiffleballs.

Already been done, folks...

Arena Softball.

philly.png

Already been done, folks...

Arena Softball.

Awesome.

pitch.gif

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Who wants pictures?

The quality is bad because they're from my computer.

Joe Torre behind a net:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/g...shots/Torre.png

Another good outfield shot:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/g...ts/Outfield.png

:censored:-ed up Left Field line:

LeftFieldLine.png

Immense crowd:

Crowd.png

Kevin Cash's home run; good look at everything(Yes, I said Kevin Cash. It was probably 200 feet, but 3 runs nonetheless :P)

HomeRun.png

I like how the outfield is the same width as the infield dirt. :lol:

Finally, the completely bogus camera angle:

CameraAngle.png

I can get more if you want to see a feature.

If MLB opens in Austrlia next year or in 2010, I wonder how the field configuration will be at the MCG, Telstra Dome, and ANZ Stadium will be for a baseball game, not to mention attendance figures. Could you imagine an easy 90-100,000 per game in those stadiums, being that cricket and AFL are both played there.....

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Real Madrid was supposed to have a friendly vs. D.C. United at Camden Yards two years ago. It wound up falling thru and the game was moved to Seattle. There was a diagram somewhere, but I have no idea where I found it.

Real Madrid was supposed to have a friendly vs. D.C. United at Camden Yards two years ago. It wound up falling thru and the game was moved to Seattle. There was a diagram somewhere, but I have no idea where I found it.

And we here in Seattle could not have been happier to have it. :D

Who wants pictures?

I can get more if you want to see a feature.

Cool - thanks!

I'd like to see a picture of the Dodgers' right sleeve, see if they really did wear a commemorative arm patch.

They did. :D

I'll try to find a pic, but I do remember sleeve patches.

Archived