Colt Brennan

mantleisthebest7

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One word:

System

"Next Topic!"

Aren't all QB's in some sort of a "system"?

True...but provided June Jones doesn't leave Hawaii in the near future, I predict we will have a similarly superlative-laden, hyperbolic conversation about Brennan's successor in a couple of years.

That said, I'm sure Colt Brennan'll have a job in the af2.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Quote me now. Someone will be very very very sorry for choosing Tim Tebow in the Draft.

I'm sure he'll work out for a couple of years until "Randall Cunningham's Disease" gets him.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

His release is low. Pro scouts won't like that. Too many batted down passes will occur in the NFL.

And that relates to the question of being the best NCAA QB how?

His initial post spoke of him possibly being one of the best ever in the NFL when all is said and done. That's all I was replying to.

Tim Tebows shoulder fake thing will never work in the NFL. Think of julius peppers running around the edge and Tebow trying to throw that juke in there, HE WILL GET MURDERED. He also is successful at running now because there isnt constant size at linebacker in the NCAA. Come to the NFL and try and run on Patrick Willis. He'd kill you.

Finally a post by someone other than me that expresses the love for colt brennan and his talents.

To cover some things that have been said in this topic.

1. Yes Hawaii passes alot but you have to acknowledge the accuracy that Brennan has. Sure he throws 45-60 times a game but how many QBs can throw that many times and hit thier recievers on the money. Its been known that last season when brennan threw for 559 attempts that if you count out the WR drops that hit them on the money Brenna would've thrown for 80%.. 80% out of 559 times! Thats insane accuracy! and to keep that up for 12 games! that take more than some sclub just chucking the ball up.

2. Timmy Chang (Another athlete I look up to) passed for many, many yards and so did Klinger, Ware and TX Tech QBs... but look at this. Those guys played 4 seasons in thier "system", Chang played his whole life in that system. They all passed for huge chunks of yards but something, Chang didn't do was win the big games and throw a lot of TDS. Brennan has won many games and has thrown for more TDs than any college QB in thier career and in only 3 seasons.

3. Yes, Brennan is a system QB but... EVERY QB is a system QB. EVERY RB is a system RB. You think Ray Rice, Kevin Smith, & Darren McFadden dont have the numbers like they do because they don't get the ball 25-30 times a game? (which is tha passing equal to Brennan). In Hawaii's run 'n' shoot offense the team has a basic play lineout. But once the WRs get to the line they can change thier routes to anything they want to to best get a reception against the defense they see. So without knowing that Brennan has to determine the routes without knowing the exact route his WR are going to run that show the intangibles to be able to read the defense, his WR and the play to be able to move the ball.

4. Have you seen the patriots this season? They are basically running a version of the run 'n' shoot this season. Brady has flourised in it and infact he is on pace to murder the Passing TD record. I guess the "System" isn't that bad of a System. Brennan in his career has also rushed for over 15 TDS and 594 yards, that shows his escapablity which is the new trend in the NFL with Romo and Big Ben showing some mobility. Now I'm not saying that Colt is a speed demon like Pat White. But Brennan has the wheels to be able to get outside the pocket and move for more yards.

5. Hawaii doesn't run up the score. Infact against thier bitter rivals Boise State he were on the 1 yard line and kneeled to run out the clock. They could've easily scored and boosted the points up but they didnt. That shows that unlike Klinger's stats June Jones doesn't like to RUTS and just pack on stats for Brennan, Or else Brennan would've been in all 4 Quarters last season.

6. Last season when Brennan threw for 58 TDS, Brennan played actually only the equivilant of 9 full games, due to the lack of sitting in the 4th Quarter.

7. Just posting NCAA washout QBS doesn't mean anything because we haven't seen what Brennan has done in the NFL. Sure you can make your biased predictions but until 3-4 years down the line and if Brennan is basically a towel b*tch for a scrub like Cleo Lemon or whatever then you can say oh just another system QB that was good in college, but for now how can you say that crap about Brennan. Brady was a 6th round pick, Bulger was the same.. all turned into good NFL QBS and no ever at the time knew what would happen to them so you can't just :censored: on a player just because of his system because you don't know how they will turn out. So just posting "SYSTEM" or (Insert Failed NFL Passing QB's Name Here.) just shows ignorance in the fact that you just want to put a player down just because hes not a BCS big name recruit. Being in the BCS doesn't mean jack if you cant win or put up decent numbers.

spacer.png

As I look at Brennan's stat line some more....

What's the NCAA record for interceptions thrown in a career?

Today, we are all otaku.

Have you ever seen a low-scoring game involving a WAC team? It's not terribly difficult to put the ball where it needs to be against JV defense. Brennan is throwing over 46 passes a game this year, including 61- and 75-toss outings v. Louisiana Tech and San Jose State, respectively (I omitted his 0- and 2-pass outings because he effectively did not play either of those games). It's a lot easier to put up video game numbers when you're throwing the ball that many times, as has been shown by more than one WAC quarterback in the past. Colt also has 14 interceptions or something against JV defenses. I know he throws a lot, but still, a person winning the Heisman trophy does it against solid defenses (McFadden 200+ yards, 4TD v. LSU). A person winning the Heisman trophy is invaluable to their team (Oregon with/without Dixon: 8-1/0-2. Hawai'i with/without Brennan: 9-0,2-0). If Colt can walk into the Superdome and beat LSU or Tennessee this January (I don't know why I'm already giving him this game against Washington), then I'll give him a chance.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

because they don't get the ball 25-30 times a game? (which is tha passing equal to Brennan).

The average game for a quarterback is 29 attempts. The average day for a feature back is 24 carries. Thus, the rushing equal to brennan is about 39 carries.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Can anyone come up with an example of a quarterback who underacheives because he is a 'system' guy? I became curious about it reading this topic, it seems that I only hear about systems when it helps the QB. Stupid question, I know.

On Brennan, I will concede that he is crazy accurate, but beyond that I'm not sure what else is him and what is the Hawaii style of play. Like was mentioned eariler, when he was out for a game the backup put up almost the same numbers you could expect from Brennan.

His release is low. Pro scouts won't like that. Too many batted down passes will occur in the NFL.

And that relates to the question of being the best NCAA QB how?

His initial post spoke of him possibly being one of the best ever in the NFL when all is said and done. That's all I was replying to.

Oops, mea culpa. I lost interest a couple lines in.

Hey guys!

ESPN 25 greatest College Football players. - Of course, me being a 15 year old quarterback, looking up to best is something i do - But i can faithfully say that Brennan is the greatest college quarterback I have ever seen. Even better than Leinart, Jason White, Carson Palmer, all those guys. - When Mark May AND Lee Corso say the WAC is a gret conference, the WAC must be pretty good. - He is the best i have ever seen at placing the ball wher the reciever can catch it. - we are possibly watching the greatest quarterback to ever play at the collegiate level. But in my opinion, hes the greatest.

This is what ESPN is doing to the youth of our great nation.

Colt Brennan is good. He's in a system that plays to his strengths. He is by no measure one of the greatest QBs ever.

Then why does Tebow get as much love as he does. Hell, Meyer even admits to changing the system to improve Tebow's numbers by staying away from his weaknesses.

Haven't you heard? Tim Tebow can cure diseases with a simple touch of his hands. Tim Tebow will bring peace to the middle east. Tim Tebow makes the blind see. At least that's what you'd think by the way CBS announcers slobber all over him when they're doing his games.

BB52Big.jpg

One word... WAC

Yeah, the defenses are WAC caliber. Then again, isn't he throwing the ball to WAC caliber WR's? Being protected by a WAC caliber offensive line? Handing the ball off to WAC caliber running backs? Throwing for 80% accuracy when any defensive coordinator with half a brain knows what Hawaii is going to try and do. 58 TD passes in a season where you don't even see the fourth quarter 90% of the time is absolutely unreal.

Say what you want about what types of teams he plays... but what does it say when teams like USC and Michigan are scared to play you (as is just about every other major college football program)? ... and yes, Hawaii did try and schedule both Michigan and USC, as well as any other team they could.

And didn't Timmy Chang have a bunch of extra games to compile his stats because of injury redshirts?

I'm not saying Colt Brennan is the best ever but people dismissing Hawaii and Colt Brennan is wrong.

And by the way... chances are if you're a quarterback at a Division 1 program and your coach is worth anything, the system your in is going to be one that plays off of your strengths. So that's just a silly argument. That's first day stuff in Coaching 101... you play to your Quarterbacks strengths.

IUe6Hvh.png

Finally a post by someone other than me that expresses the love for colt brennan and his talents.

To cover some things that have been said in this topic.

1. Yes Hawaii passes alot but you have to acknowledge the accuracy that Brennan has. Sure he throws 45-60 times a game but how many QBs can throw that many times and hit thier recievers on the money. Its been known that last season when brennan threw for 559 attempts that if you count out the WR drops that hit them on the money Brenna would've thrown for 80%.. 80% out of 559 times! Thats insane accuracy! and to keep that up for 12 games! that take more than some sclub just chucking the ball up.

2. Timmy Chang (Another athlete I look up to) passed for many, many yards and so did Klinger, Ware and TX Tech QBs... but look at this. Those guys played 4 seasons in thier "system", Chang played his whole life in that system. They all passed for huge chunks of yards but something, Chang didn't do was win the big games and throw a lot of TDS. Brennan has won many games and has thrown for more TDs than any college QB in thier career and in only 3 seasons.

3. Yes, Brennan is a system QB but... EVERY QB is a system QB. EVERY RB is a system RB. You think Ray Rice, Kevin Smith, & Darren McFadden dont have the numbers like they do because they don't get the ball 25-30 times a game? (which is tha passing equal to Brennan). In Hawaii's run 'n' shoot offense the team has a basic play lineout. But once the WRs get to the line they can change thier routes to anything they want to to best get a reception against the defense they see. So without knowing that Brennan has to determine the routes without knowing the exact route his WR are going to run that show the intangibles to be able to read the defense, his WR and the play to be able to move the ball.

4. Have you seen the patriots this season? They are basically running a version of the run 'n' shoot this season. Brady has flourised in it and infact he is on pace to murder the Passing TD record. I guess the "System" isn't that bad of a System. Brennan in his career has also rushed for over 15 TDS and 594 yards, that shows his escapablity which is the new trend in the NFL with Romo and Big Ben showing some mobility. Now I'm not saying that Colt is a speed demon like Pat White. But Brennan has the wheels to be able to get outside the pocket and move for more yards.

5. Hawaii doesn't run up the score. Infact against thier bitter rivals Boise State he were on the 1 yard line and kneeled to run out the clock. They could've easily scored and boosted the points up but they didnt. That shows that unlike Klinger's stats June Jones doesn't like to RUTS and just pack on stats for Brennan, Or else Brennan would've been in all 4 Quarters last season.

6. Last season when Brennan threw for 58 TDS, Brennan played actually only the equivilant of 9 full games, due to the lack of sitting in the 4th Quarter.

7. Just posting NCAA washout QBS doesn't mean anything because we haven't seen what Brennan has done in the NFL. Sure you can make your biased predictions but until 3-4 years down the line and if Brennan is basically a towel b*tch for a scrub like Cleo Lemon or whatever then you can say oh just another system QB that was good in college, but for now how can you say that crap about Brennan. Brady was a 6th round pick, Bulger was the same.. all turned into good NFL QBS and no ever at the time knew what would happen to them so you can't just :censored: on a player just because of his system because you don't know how they will turn out. So just posting "SYSTEM" or (Insert Failed NFL Passing QB's Name Here.) just shows ignorance in the fact that you just want to put a player down just because hes not a BCS big name recruit. Being in the BCS doesn't mean jack if you cant win or put up decent numbers.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Finally, someone who takes the time to think about this. Every point made here is what im talking about! I hate the popularity game that is Division 1-A football, because if you dont play for USC, Ohio State, Texas, LSU, Oklahom, Florida etc. (meaning every BCS conference team), all of the sudden your a system QB, a longshot for a heisman, all the negatives you can think of. Let me tell y'all something. Some of you probably come from BCS states. I don't. I come from po-dunk Utah. I dont have a BCS team to root for. When my Utah Utes broke the barrier some years back, that was one of the biggest events I have ever experienced because finally an outsider could tell the big-names, the big jocks, the experts, and the moneybags, "look what we did. No more popular game. We're here." After that, I have been arguing for and defending non-BCS conferences. Think about this. about a half of the nations teams are automatically out of a title chance even before the season starts. Then, even worse, coutless numbers of deserving players, like COLT BRENNAN automatically have little or no chance of winning the heisman. And even more terrible, if you didnt spend your career with a BCS team, sucks for you cause you wont be considered a great one, no matter what you did. For pete's sake, look at the stats. They guy who passed for the most TDs and 20 other records didnt go to USC, Florida, Ohio State, or Michigan. He went to Hawai'i and his name is Colt Brennan.

About Timmy Chang, it took him 4 years to get the stats he did and not once was Hawai'i in the top 20 or even considered for a BCS bowl. Brennan has played a year less and all of the sudden Hawai'i is knocking on the BCS door. Sorry Timmy, but 'nuff said.

The "system" label is killing me. Every freaking school uses a type of system. Every pro team uses a system. EVERY FREAKING SCHOOL!!!!!! EVERY FREAKING PRO TEAM!!!! Therefore EVERY QB is a system quarterback. Thats right Tebow, im pointing to you. Dont try and look away Leinart, the finer is in your direction. You cant run from it Jason White. I'm aiming at you, too. Don't lie to me Tom Brady, youre every bit of a system QB as the next guy. If Hawaii uses a gun-like system, so what? There's probably 20 or so schools and countless high school who use one. Dont get me started on the Patriots, either. All this complaining of a gun system and nobody points at the Patriots? C'mon! Have you been watching the NFL lately?

Face it. The fact alone that 21 records are in Colt Brennan's name alone says it all. When Fran Tarkenton once held the record for most TD passes in the NFL, no one said, "Oh, played for the Vikings. If he played for the big boys, like the Packers or Bears, then id like him." They never said," The system he plays in is different. He's a system QB. He's too much of an improviser." Nope. They just looked at the top of the list and saw Tarkenton's name and said. "Oh, there's Fran Tarkenton. He holds the record, he's the best TD passer ever." Obviously now, that isnt the case, (Farve and Marino have long since passed him) but you get it. Now look at the top of 21 lists and you'll see Colt Brennan's name on top. Hmmmm...

come on, people, get over the BCS. Get over the whole 'system' label (which is utterly ridiculous) and get over the popularity game. No one else, not even all the other heisman winning QBs can say that theyve done alot of what Brennan has done. Doesnt that say enough about this kid? I'm not backing down. He's still the best i've ever seen.

P.S: Oh, and infared41, all ESPN is doing to the youth is giving us a peek at what is coming up next for us. Im a college football dreamer who watches these shows not for the entertainment, but to learn and get a feel of what it is like. If Lee Carso is going to say the Colt Brennan is one of the best in the nation right now, I listen (which I have). If Trevor Matich says (which he did a few days ago) that Colt Brennan is quote "a machine", I'm going to watch Colt Brennan. The guy plays my position. I look up to him and watch him. Dont be doubting ESPN. Unlike you, they are proffesional anylists who once upon a time either played or coached in the college ranks, many of whom were with the big boys. I think that they know what they are talking about.

P.S.S: That backup that came in for Brennan beat Nevada. Who? NEVADA! Anyone cane pull those numbers against NEVADA! Nevada played against Utah State (who is without a doubt the worst team I have ever seen on any level), and even THIER QB had a stellar game. If it was Boise or another team like that then id give it to you, but c'mon! It was NEVADA!!!!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Who can deny Brennan's greatness? His victories over Northern Colorado (1-11), Idaho (1-11), Utah State (2-10), and UNLV (2-10) were legendary. And the opponent's win/loss record? Try 51-89. Yep....36%. Top that Tebow!

And as for Tarkenton? The man played in three Super Bowls. I wouldn't exactly thumb my nose at that.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Finally, someone who takes the time to think about this. Every point made here is what im talking about! I hate the popularity game that is Division 1-A football, because if you dont play for USC, Ohio State, Texas, LSU, Oklahom, Florida etc. (meaning every BCS conference team), all of the sudden your a system QB, a longshot for a heisman, all the negatives you can think of. Let me tell y'all something. Some of you probably come from BCS states. I don't. I come from po-dunk Utah. I dont have a BCS team to root for. When my Utah Utes broke the barrier some years back, that was one of the biggest events I have ever experienced because finally an outsider could tell the big-names, the big jocks, the experts, and the moneybags, "look what we did. No more popular game. We're here." After that, I have been arguing for and defending non-BCS conferences. Think about this. about a half of the nations teams are automatically out of a title chance even before the season starts. Then, even worse, coutless numbers of deserving players, like COLT BRENNAN automatically have little or no chance of winning the heisman. And even more terrible, if you didnt spend your career with a BCS team, sucks for you cause you wont be considered a great one, no matter what you did. For pete's sake, look at the stats. They guy who passed for the most TDs and 20 other records didnt go to USC, Florida, Ohio State, or Michigan. He went to Hawai'i and his name is Colt Brennan.

I would accuse, with rational justification, every one of Spurrier's all world Heisman candidate QBs at Florida as merely being overhyped products of his system. I would say the same about Brady Quinn et al. To be honest, I don't see ANY quarterback in college football as being a guaranteed sure thing for the future....Tebow's the closest, and as I said before, he's a likely candidate for early "Randall Cunningham's Disease".

I'd also like to know more about the circumstances by which one of the BCS 6 did not offer him a scholarship. Did they fail to recruit him? Why? These questions need to be asked.

About Timmy Chang, it took him 4 years to get the stats he did and not once was Hawai'i in the top 20 or even considered for a BCS bowl. Brennan has played a year less and all of the sudden Hawai'i is knocking on the BCS door. Sorry Timmy, but 'nuff said.

Hawaii is knocking on the door because they had the perfect storm of a week schedule and an inordinate number of upsets in college football this year. I'd also ask about Brennan's supporting cast vs. Chang's supporting cast...we may have a Tom Brady situation here.

The "system" label is killing me. Every freaking school uses a type of system. Every pro team uses a system. EVERY FREAKING SCHOOL!!!!!! EVERY FREAKING PRO TEAM!!!! Therefore EVERY QB is a system quarterback. Thats right Tebow, im pointing to you. Dont try and look away Leinart, the finer is in your direction. You cant run from it Jason White. I'm aiming at you, too. Don't lie to me Tom Brady, youre every bit of a system QB as the next guy. If Hawaii uses a gun-like system, so what? There's probably 20 or so schools and countless high school who use one. Dont get me started on the Patriots, either. All this complaining of a gun system and nobody points at the Patriots? C'mon! Have you been watching the NFL lately?

Bingo...except gun quarterbacks and teams typically get exposed in later months of the year when their anemic run game can't bail them out of the situation. Usually this is magnified when your quarterback picks a bad time to throw an interception. Oh wait...Brennan scatters them around like crazy. Ever wonder why the gun is relatively scarce at football's higher levels? :blink:

Face it. The fact alone that 21 records are in Colt Brennan's name alone says it all. When Fran Tarkenton once held the record for most TD passes in the NFL, no one said, "Oh, played for the Vikings. If he played for the big boys, like the Packers or Bears, then id like him." They never said," The system he plays in is different. He's a system QB. He's too much of an improviser." Nope. They just looked at the top of the list and saw Tarkenton's name and said. "Oh, there's Fran Tarkenton. He holds the record, he's the best TD passer ever." Obviously now, that isnt the case, (Farve and Marino have long since passed him) but you get it. Now look at the top of 21 lists and you'll see Colt Brennan's name on top. Hmmmm...

Dude, the NFL argument is not the way to go...every team was part of "the big boys" in the NFL. Tarkenton's skill was considered to be otherwordly because he played against the same competition as his peers. Brennan hasn't, and to claim otherwise would be ludicrous. Although for the record...the Green Bay teams of his heyday were horrible, and the Bears were bad for much of the time as well.

As another way of putting it...I doubt Ty Detmer was considered the greatest college QB ever, even when he had all those records.

come on, people, get over the BCS. Get over the whole 'system' label (which is utterly ridiculous) and get over the popularity game. No one else, not even all the other heisman winning QBs can say that theyve done alot of what Brennan has done. Doesnt that say enough about this kid? I'm not backing down. He's still the best i've ever seen.

You're young and inexperienced. Plus, he looks like a God against Utah teams because they suck horribly this year.

P.S: Oh, and infared41, all ESPN is doing to the youth is giving us a peek at what is coming up next for us. Im a college football dreamer who watches these shows not for the entertainment, but to learn and get a feel of what it is like. If Lee Carso is going to say the Colt Brennan is one of the best in the nation right now, I listen (which I have). If Trevor Matich says (which he did a few days ago) that Colt Brennan is quote "a machine", I'm going to watch Colt Brennan. The guy plays my position. I look up to him and watch him. Dont be doubting ESPN. Unlike you, they are proffesional anylists who once upon a time either played or coached in the college ranks, many of whom were with the big boys. I think that they know what they are talking about.

At one time ESPN was a good source. Now there are other media sources that are more credible in their analysis than anyone who sits behind the hype-spewing desks of Bristol CT. Corso's gone senile, and I zone out most of their other guys who don't know what they are saying (except for Lou Holtz....the rantings of a lunatic are sheer comedy for me.)

P.S.S: That backup that came in for Brennan beat Nevada. Who? NEVADA! Anyone cane pull those numbers against NEVADA! Nevada played against Utah State (who is without a doubt the worst team I have ever seen on any level), and even THIER QB had a stellar game. If it was Boise or another team like that then id give it to you, but c'mon! It was NEVADA!!!!

1) Nevada went to a bowl last year young Padawan...and record wise they are Hawaii's 3rd best opponent this year. I'll agree Nevada is having a down year....but what does that say about Hawaii?

2) Usually praising a team's backup for putting up similar numbers to the starter is not the way to go if you want to argue the starter is the greatest ever. But you will learn, as all Padawans do.

Today, we are all otaku.

What happened?

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived