Colt Brennan

mantleisthebest7

Hey guys!

I thought that this would be the best place to post this topic. I have been thinking about this for weeks, and I think that it needs to be said. I have been looking at the Heisman trackers and everything and have recently seen a peek of ESPN 25 greatest College Football players. One player came to my mind that I have admired and have rooted for for the past two years since I have heard of him. Of course, me being a 15 year old quarterback, looking up to best is something i do. And I think that the best out there is Colt Brennan, QB for Hawai'i. Of, course, Tebow, Dixon, and Pat White are tremenously talented (dont forget Chase Daniel and Todd reesing). But i can faithfully say that Brennan is the greatest college quarterback I have ever seen. Even better than Leinart, Jason White, Carson Palmer, all those guys. Go ahead and make argument that Hawai'i never plays anyone. But isnt Boise State in the WAC, too? And didnt Boise beat, oh who was it, Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl? Please dont say the WAC isnt competive. When Mark May AND Lee Corso say the WAC is a gret conference, the WAC must be pretty good. Brennan has lit up the entire nation with mind boggling stats, including 58 touchdown is a season (one of the 20 D-1A records he holds). 58 touchdowns in a season! Peyton Manning holds the NFL record with 48, and they play MORE games than the NCAA. I dont care who you are, 58 toucdowns is unhuman. He is the best i have ever seen at placing the ball wher the reciever can catch it. I have seen videotape of Sammy Baugh throwing some of the most spectacular passes I have ever seen, and I see the same thing from Colt Brennan every saturday. I watch him and study him for my benefit, so I can get better at QB. I mean, yeah he might not be the most prestigious or most populr player in the nation, but I think we have to face the fact that when we watch Colt Brennan play, we are possibly watching the greatest quarterback to ever play at the collegiate level. I just cant wait for him to get to the NFL. He will take his talent there and I think he will become one of the best QBs in the NFL, too. Maybe not the best, but he will be a household name for sure for years to come. My dad tells stories of watching local legend QBs like Ty Detmer and Jim McMahon (I live just 20 minutes outside of Provo, where BYU is located), and Colt Brennan will be one of the guys I tell my kids about. So Im not saying worship him or that you have to admire him, but I just wanted to give a shout out to who I really think deserves recognition as the best in the land, and who If I had a vote, would vote a thousand times for in the Heisman race. He deserves the Heisman, and he deseves alot more credit than he is handed. Id like to know what your thoughts on Brennan are. Check out his stats, watch some highlight reels, and maybe you'll agree. But in my opinion, hes the greatest.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One word:

System

"Next Topic!"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Does Hawaii run the ball? How often are they in the shotgun? WAC is weaker. That adds up to stats. The Heisman isn't about stats. It's being the MVP of your team and the best college football player that season. It's also somewhat of a popularity contest. Nobody gets to see Hawaii and because of their location, not too many go there to play.

Here's another example of a system...the Denver Broncos running game...just ask people like Tatum Bell and Reuben Droughns how it worked for them and what they are doing now.

KISSwall09.jpg

Didn't Tommy (Timmy?) Chang put up similar numbers when he was at Hawaii? And that wasn't even that long ago.

I'll grant you that the WAC isn't that far below the so-called "major" conferences, but you can't refuse to acknowledge the fact that those numbers seem to be put up by anyone who sits behind center for the Warriors.

One word:

System

"Next Topic!"

Then why does Tebow get as much love as he does. Hell, Meyer even admits to changing the system to improve Tebow's numbers by staying away from his weaknesses.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Then why does Tebow get as much love as he does. Hell, Meyer even admits to changing the system to improve Tebow's numbers by staying away from his weaknesses.

He plays for Florida. Of course they are going to praise him.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I wonder if message boards like this were around in 1990 we would have a thread like this for David Klingler.

And look what Kingler did at Houston.. Those were silly X-Box/PS2 numbers he had. Didn't exactly translate into a good NFL career, but his place in College Football's best in secure (in my eyes, anyway).

As for Colt: He's a great QB, no doubt, but again it's about the system. You can say the same thing about any QB that goes to Texas Tech or Hawaii or any run and shoot styled offense. It's easy to say that.

Then you have Tebow. In my opinion, he's not a system quarterback, he's a man-child. How else can you explain the fact that he's gonna throw for 30 TD's and rush for 25? That's 55 TD's! That's more TD's then most teams can score in a season.

I don't care if you call him a system QB, I'm saying he's more then that.

As a UGA follower, I know most of the other UGA fans are gonna get at me for this, but I seriously think before it's all said and done, Tim Tebow will be the best NCAA QB ever, statistically. Like Seadragon says, who scores 55 TDs in a season BY HIMSELF?! And then it's in the toughest conference in the nation, at that. If Tebow keeps this up, he'll be the best in the NCAA history, IMO.

As for Brennan, I don't believe he's the best because Chang was putting up XBox Numbers before, Klinger did it for Houston, and if they took Brennan out then the backup would light it up. Remember that game when Brennan was out with a concussion, the backup came in and put up almost the same numbers that Brennan would if he was in the game? Brennan is definitely the product of June Jones' system.

I wonder if message boards like this were around in 1990 we would have a thread like this for David Klingler.

And look what Kingler did at Houston.. Those were silly X-Box/PS2 numbers he had. Didn't exactly translate into a good NFL career, but his place in College Football's best in secure (in my eyes, anyway).

I doubt Kingler put up X-Box or PS2 numbers.... those were more like NES numbers :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Klingler immediately came to mind when I read this... ran up absolutely silly numbers at the University of Houston, had an injury very early in his pro career, and then essentially vanished off the face of the football Earth.

nav-logo.png

1. Chang had more passing yards than Brennan (although that might change this weekend).

2. Winning the Heisman does NOT translate to being the best ever. Look at the last 15 Heisman winners and tell me how many have successfully translated into good NFL careers? Gino Torretta, I'm looking at YOU.

3. So what if Boise State beat Oklahoma? That was last year. They lost to Washington THIS year.

4. In Jones' system, you could probably put Seadragon in at quarterback (no disrespect intended) and he'd put up similar numbers.

Brennan's good, but saying he's the best ever is much too ambiguous.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Ok. This is my opinion. Yeah I knew about Timmy Chang, but Colt Brennan has pretty much eclipsed his numbers, and Ty Detmers, who used to hold many of the NCAA passing records. Did you guys miss the part where I said he owned 20 D-1A records? (Correction: I just looked it up and he actually holds 21). I never said that Tebow and them were bad, I admit that they are very talented. But, seriously, Brennan is one of the greatest I have ever seen. So what if he may be a system QB to you guys? A system doesnt determine how well you can throw a ball. A system doesnt determine how accurate of a passer you are. And a system sure doesnt determine how big your heart is. Its the player that determines that, and Colt Brennan has the arm, the accuracy, and he definetely has the heart (he sigle handedly beat UNLV while rushing for 3 TDs - with a sprained ankle. Now tell me he doesnt have guts) When Tom Brady blows out the opponents' secondary with 5, 6, 7 TD passes a game, nobody says, "Oh its just the system he's in". When Peyton Manning throws another beautiful, compact pass to Harrison, Wayne, or Clark, nobody says "Oh, he's a system QB. Dont get all wound up". Thats bull. It's not like a system magically granted Brennan with a precision missle launcher for an arm. Its just something hes gifted with. So I think that in defense of not only Brennan, but all QBs, the term 'system quarterback' has no meaning in my mind. Brennan is still the best I have ever seen.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

1. Chang had more passing yards than Brennan (although that might change this weekend).

2. Winning the Heisman does NOT translate to being the best ever. Look at the last 15 Heisman winners and tell me how many have successfully translated into good NFL careers? Gino Torretta, I'm looking at YOU.

3. So what if Boise State beat Oklahoma? That was last year. They lost to Washington THIS year.

4. In Jones' system, you could probably put Seadragon in at quarterback (no disrespect intended) and he'd put up similar numbers.

Brennan's good, but saying he's the best ever is much to ambiguous.

None taken, but... dude. I can't throw the ball. Throwing it 50-60 times is gonna tear my Rotator Cuff to pieces. Put me on the front line... Let me run the ball down their throats.

Jimmy Harris was 31-0 as OU's starting QB in the 50's. And guess what? Coaches couldn't send in plays from the sidelines then - the QB had to call the game himself. That's a case right there for best ever.

Even considering Colt Brennan as the greatest college QB "ever" is a bit amusing.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Inmo, If you are a div 1 team, hold 21 records and your team is undefeated then you should be considered one of the greatest COLLEGE quarterbacks of alltime. What else can you do or have to do to get nominated for the Heisman trophy.

As far as how he will do in the pros, you never know. There are examples like Joe Montana, a so-so collage QB and he bacame one of if not the greatest NFL QB's. Then there's the Ty's and Gino's etc.

Archived