Savannah State logo

Max Power

Yesterday I was reading up on Savannah State's men's basketball team because they were in town to play Northwestern and their logo caught my eye, in a bad way.

SavannahStateTigers.png

The tiger's head is fine, albeit generic, but what's going on with the brush stroke of red paint? It looks like someone defaced their logo and they decided to use it. Does anyone know the story behind the logo?

Didn't they gain notoriety for going 0-28 for the season recently? What a way to pad your nonconference schedule...

Besides, most of those historically black southern colleges aren't known for having great logo sets. That being said, Miss. Valley State has one of my favorite nicknames of all time: the Delta Devils...

Didn't they gain notoriety for going 0-28 for the season recently? What a way to pad your nonconference schedule...

Normally I would agree, but Northwestern's best player is out this semester so we'll take any win we can get. In fact Savannah State led at halftime before losing by 10.

Yes, they went 0-28 a few years ago.

The logo continues to puzzle me...

I have always wondered what the deal is with that myself. I dunno if the red-orange brush mark is supposed to symbolize something, or if it's just pure laziness in adding a second color to their logo. I've always hated it though. I thought about doing a project on them when I did my Niagara redesign.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

It's an orange stripe, not a red one.

Anyway, I think the stripe adds some color to the logo. Most people think that a tiger is black and orange. Blue and orange isn't something 'normal' for a tiger.

Terrible School. Terrible Logo

They've had this logo for a long time - it blows chucks! Ranks up there with the Toledo Storm Hockey logos as one of the all time worst.

Sav. State might want to hirer one of our own CC members and fix that logo - More like Tiggers than Tigers.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

By virtue of its strangeness and being inexplicable, I like it. It stands out and makes one wonder, that's for certain.

I've always liked odd logos.

IDK, I admire odd looking logos as much as the next guy, but this one looks more like an accident then a logo. The smear of color looks horrible at best.

I swear I've seen that very same tiger head used about a billion times by Division II schools.

Still, didn't the Spurs have a similar paint-swoosh effect for years? A multi-hued PASTEL paint swoosh, even worse...

If that is the logo you're using as a basis for comparison, you're setting the bar awfully low.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Still, didn't the Spurs have a similar paint-swoosh effect for years? A multi-hued PASTEL paint swoosh, even worse...

If that is the logo you're using as a basis for comparison, you're setting the bar awfully low.

Not to mention the fact that the orange smear looks much less planned and thought out when compared to the Spurs logo that you are referring to.

Oh god, no - not in a good comparison. Both logos blew chunks, to put it delicately. Lesson = avoid paint-swooshing in all sports logos.

Lesson = avoid paint-swooshing in all sports logos.

:D

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived