George Mitchell Report

OB33

So the Mitchell Report is coming out tomorrow and if it's as big as everyone says it's going to be than there's probably going to be some pretty big names on there. Does anyone have any predictions on who gets busted? Here's my completely unfounded guesses:

Miguel Tejada

Eric Gagne

Jeff Kent

Frank Thomas

Juan Gonzalez

Raul Ibanez

And just so I'm not accused of being a homer, Paul Lo Duca

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what names will be "surprising". Brady Anderson? I've always wondered about Jim Thome and Albert Belle. Thome used to be a twig! Now, he is massive. PLUS...How Roger Clemens has skated through all of this is beyond me. His body has grown just as B. Bonds' body has over the years and with age. Yet, Clemens is paised and glorified. Bonds may be an a-hole, it's still not fair.

I'm not really overly interested in the report thugh. To me, baseball is trying to act like: "OOH! Look what players took steroids! Look how bad they are, cheaters!" I look at it like: Baseball is really going to let us know how much THEY let slide. When you have almost 100 people that were using, the league itslef is what really looks like the joke. The league let this go on. If it was 1 or 2 players, you tend to think the players are wrong. But, to have the amount of names that they claim to have. The business of baseball looks bad. It won't hurt anything. Attendance is up, to learn what happened in the past shouldn't keep people from going now.

I wonder what names will be "surprising". Brady Anderson? I've always wondered about Jim Thome and Albert Belle. Thome used to be a twig! Now, he is massive. PLUS...How Roger Clemens has skated through all of this is beyond me. His body has grown just as B. Bonds' body has over the years and with age. Yet, Clemens is paised and glorified. Bonds may be an a-hole, it's still not fair.

I'm not really overly interested in the report thugh. To me, baseball is trying to act like: "OOH! Look what players took steroids! Look how bad they are, cheaters!" I look at it like: Baseball is really going to let us know how much THEY let slide. When you have almost 100 people that were using, the league itslef is what really looks like the joke. The league let this go on. If it was 1 or 2 players, you tend to think the players are wrong. But, to have the amount of names that they claim to have. The business of baseball looks bad. It won't hurt anything. Attendance is up, to learn what happened in the past shouldn't keep people from going now.

Well guess what???...On Mike and Mike in the morning, a source from ESPN magazine has said that Roger Clemens name will be on that list, along with several other Yankees

I wonder what names will be "surprising". Brady Anderson? I've always wondered about Jim Thome and Albert Belle. Thome used to be a twig! Now, he is massive. PLUS...How Roger Clemens has skated through all of this is beyond me.

Did anyone really believe Clemens wasn't on Steroids? Look at him. He's the Bonds of Pitching.

Belle, Anderson or Thome wouldn't surprise me. When I was in radio I did a show about baseball players and steroids in 1996. There was a blurb in the Sporting News where a reporter said someone had told him that over 50% of MLB players were using steroids. The story never went anywhere. I was the only sports show in Syracuse that even mentioned it. The person I used as a perfect example of a possible steroid user was Albert Belle. We also brought up Brady Anderson who had just hit 51 home runs in a career where his previous best was 21. The irony (now at least) was that the guy I used as an example of a player not on steroids was...you guessed it...Barry Bonds.

It's funny to look back on it now because we were so careful to make sure everyone knew we were just speculating and speaking hypothetically since the story was so small and no one else had even picked up on it. We didn't want to get sued or anything. We did one show about it and it never took off so the topic just sort of died.

If MLB wanted to save everyone a lot of time they'd just release the names of players who weren't on performance enhancing drugs. It would probably look like this....

David Eckstein.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I don't know how reliable his source was, but Chris Dimino (a talk show host who has a show in Atlanta and also does radio work for a station in St. Louis, I believe) has said that there are 13 current and former Cardinals on this list. I tuned in late, so I didn't hear his rumors about Braves players past or present, although a couple of names were mentioned: Ryan Klesko, Javy Lopez, Rafael Furcal....

Here are more names on the list, if of course you believe WNBC New York and CNBC:

Eric Gagne

Nomar Garciaparra

Jason Varitek

Albert Pujols

Miguel Tejada

The 1st three of course are tied to the Red Sox, so the accusations that this report would leave the Sawx off scot free is total Toromerde.

Note: It appears I've surpassed 755(posts not home runs).

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Frank Thomas

I would be shocked to find The Big Hurt's name on the list. Frank's always been a big guy, and had noted struggles with his weight through his career. He's always been more pudgy than cut and monstrous.

If Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa aren't on the report, it's a waste of time, effort, and money. And I just can't wait for the Bud Selig Excuse Parade that will follow, where he'll say in so many words, "Major League Baseball is not here today to talk about the past."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Here are more names on the list, if of course you believe WNBC New York and CNBC:

Eric Gagne

Nomar Garciaparra

Jason Varitek

Albert Pujols

Miguel Tejada

The 1st three of course are tied to the Red Sox, so the accusations that this report would leave the Sawx off scot free is total Toromerde.

Wow, I really hoped Pujols wouldn't be in the report.

If MLB wanted to save everyone a lot of time they'd just release the names of players who weren't on performance enhancing drugs. It would probably look like this....

David Eckstein.

On a side note, according to TSN and Sportsnet.ca the Jays are on the verge of signing him. ^_^

But I have a feeling Frank Thomas won't be on the list just because he has always been massive. If he had once been a weak midget then I would have my dobuts but since even in his rookie years he was huge, I can't see him taking something to get a little bigger.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Eric Gagne

Nomar Garciaparra

Jason Varitek

Albert Pujols

Miguel Tejada

Garciaparra wouldn't surprise me. Varitek would. If true, I wonder if it was tied into his rehab when he broke his arm a few years ago diving after a foul pop-up.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

How does everyone feel about this report in general?

Will people treat it with credibility? Will people act like it has no credibility, but simultaneously condemn every player mentioned in (and hell around) the report anyways?

Was this a worthwhile thing for Selig to commission? Can they have possibly gotten everyone they should have if there's only 50, hell even 80, players?

Would it have been better to just have Selig get up and say "We had an overwhelming problem with steroids over the last 15 years and we're sorry to our fans. We've made it a point to eradicate them from the sport from here on out."?

I ask these questions as I'm trying to form my opinion on it. I want that human-nature shock value out of the list, but I sit back and wonder if it's really worth it to air out all this dirty laundry, especially when if they really had all the dirty laundry the list would be HUGE and people still might feel it cleared everything up.

And I also ask these questions knowing that my Cardinal Albert Pujols is now rumored to be on the list. I don't want to try and overlook it and rationalize it unfairly, so now I feel like I'm lose-lose. But one way or another, it's what made me think up these questions.

I know that Pujols is really the only Cardinal name I really don't want to see. I'm to the point where I can accept guys took them, they've moved on, they don't anymore. All of that.

Pujols is another case. He's doing historical things on the field, and he's done great things off the field (missions back in the Dominican as well as a lot of charitable things in St. Louis), and I'd hate to see his name dragged in the mud. I may have to prepare for that now, and I'll try my best to not be unfair in my judgement. And honestly, my judgement being what I just mentioned, I would be disappointed that he took something and disappointed that he lied. I won't "disown" him for lack of a better term. The part I worry being unfair about is with my thoughts on the Mitchell Report.

So what is everyone else's thoughts on the report in general?

I'm confused -- can these players be suspended from the league if they're on steroids? If so, I'm fine with that. I have no moral condemnation for them; they're adults and they know what they're doing.

Actually, I don't care at all about baseball players on steroids. However, what would upset me if there were some sort of amnesty granted for these guys. I can't foresee that happening, but that's about the only thing that would bug me. Well, that and the hundreds of thousands of high school kids who will continue to take steroids because it's the only way they think they'll get noticed by scouts. That sucks too.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

While I'm sick of hearing about steroids and all and do want them out of baseball, it really doesn't help to go diving into the past and see who DID take them. As STL Fanatic mentioned, they should've just admitted there was a problem and sworn to do whatever they can to help eradicate the problem from here on out (which I know it will never actually go away, unfortunately.) And I know Pujols may be on the list, and believe me, if there is actual evidence that he did, I will be severly disappointed.

However, moving forward would've been best. Promise, and uphold it, that there will be harsher testing in the future, as well as much stiffer penalties. Like for instance, if you test postitive for steroids, you stats from that calendar year are automatically wiped out. For example, if Bonds HAD tested positive for a banned substance at all during the year 2007, all statistics from that calendar year would be nullified. Then, after serving a suspension, if he were to be reinstated and played during a portion of 2007 after the suspension, his stats would pick up from that point, and continue, unless he were to have another positive test. It may be due to a second positive test, third, or, if you really wanna be a hardass, it could be the first. I'd almost say the third positive, since as of now, a fourth is a lifetime ban. I'd say the nullified stats should apply just before a lifetime ban. It may only apply to a certain type(s) of steroid that they tested positive for. I don't necessarily know which ones are stronger or not, but they could determine which ones this rule could apply to. That would mean that all records before this was to be implemented, would stand. Which goes against my crusade to invalidate Barry Bonds' home run record, but so be it.

But, yeah, the report going into the past, does really nothing to solve the problems of the future, which is what they need to take a hard look at.

I'm confused -- can these players be suspended from the league if they're on steroids? If so, I'm fine with that. I have no moral condemnation for them; they're adults and they know what they're doing.

Actually, I don't care at all about baseball players on steroids. However, what would upset me if there were some sort of amnesty granted for these guys. I can't foresee that happening, but that's about the only thing that would bug me. Well, that and the hundreds of thousands of high school kids who will continue to take steroids because it's the only way they think they'll get noticed by scouts. That sucks too.

Actually, if they had said this past season, that they would offer "amnesty" (although I think a set fine, and maybe a mandatory suspension that would be less if than if they had tested positive, would be better. they need some punishment) in exchange for coming clean, I'd say that'd been a good idea. It gets everything out there. Forces players into admission, and from there they could move on with preventing future problems. If players refused to coporate or denied using, and was later proved to have used, then freaking lay it on them. Give them a full year suspension. And a big loss of salary. I'd say they'd rather take a small (in comparison) suspension and fine over a year's ban and potential loss of a big salary.

But since the report is about to be revealed, I'd say the chance for this is over.

Here's the leaked list, still being confirmed, from wnbc new york:

Brady Anderson

Manny Alexander

Rick Ankiel

Jeff Bagwell

Barry Bonds

Aaron Boone

Rafael Bettancourt

Brett Boone

Milton Bradley

David Bell

Dante Bichette

Albert Belle

Paul Byrd

Wil Cordero

Ken Caminiti

Mike Cameron

Ramon Castro

Jose and Ozzie Canseco

Roger Clemens

Paxton Crawford

Wilson Delgado

Lenny Dykstra

Johnny Damon

Carl Everett

Kyle Farnsworth

Ryan Franklin

Troy Glaus (listed twice!!)

Rich Garces

Jason Grimsley

Juan Gonzalez (listed 2x!)

Eric Gagne

Nomar Garciaparra

Jason Giambi

Jeremy Giambi

Jose Guillen

Jay Gibbons

Clay Hensley

Jerry Hairston

Felix Heredia Jr

Darren Holmes

Wally Joyner

Darryl Kile

Matt Lawton

Raul Mondesi

Mark McGwire

Guillermo Mota

Robert Machado

Damian Moss

Abraham Nunez

Trot Nixon

Jose Offerman

Andy Pettitte

Mark Prior

Neifi Perez

Rafael Palmiero

Albert Pujols

Brian Roberts

Juan Rincon

John Rocker

Pudge Rodriguez

Sammy Sosa

Scott Schoenweis

David Segui

Alex Sanchez

Gary Sheffield

Miguel Tejada

Julian Tavares

Fernando Tatis

Maurice Vaughn

Jason Varitek

Ismael Valdez

Matt Williams

Kerry Wood

There are far, far more, but the leaks are being clarified. Stay tuned.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived