Rockets-76'ers go retro

mmejia

I really enjoy the new Rockets look, but IMO nothing will ever top their simple red and yellow uniforms from the 80's and early 90's. The red and yellow just screams "Rockets". Here are some pics from last nights game:

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

Why the hell did the Rockets have to wear red at home? I hate it when the home teams wear there colored uniforms and put the away team in white. If they had done it the right way, Rockets in white, Sixers in red, this would've been even more beautiful.

Also, was that really the font used for players names on the Rockets? I don't remember that font being used there.

Also, was that really the font used for players names on the Rockets? I don't remember that font being used there.

I was wondering that as well.

And even though its generic as hell, the Sixers look 489056789461 times better than they do now. Although you could say the same about damn near everything they've worn before that horribly dated crap they wear now.

I don't think that was the font they used to use. The Rocket's recent retro looks are actually a bit modified it seems, much fatter and more italicized than their originals. I've also noticed that whether at home or on the road, the Rockets almost always go red when they are retro. Here are some 90's Rockets pics:

hakeem-olajuwon-apex-parking.jpg

nba_dime2_268.jpg

Vernon-Maxwell.jpg

I never liked one thing about these uniforms.

The font was nothing special, the lower case 't' was unnecessary and pointless, and the colors looked like something the USSR basketball team would wear. Not exactly a good thing in the '80's.

I think their new look is a million times better than anything they've ever had....even if it looks like its slightly inspired by the Toyota logo.

And even though its generic as hell, the Sixers look 489056789461 times better than they do now. Although you could say the same about damn near everything they've worn before that horribly dated crap they wear now.

Yep. That is what they used. Although it may not be "exactly" the same (as we all know the NBA throwbacks take some liberties in their designs), it IS similar. I remember in junior high and high school watching the Rockets and thinking, "That font is just way too far out of place".

CCSLC Signature.jpg

Yep. That is what they used. Although it may not be "exactly" the same (as we all know the NBA throwbacks take some liberties in their designs), it IS similar. I remember in junior high and high school watching the Rockets and thinking, "That font is just way too far out of place".

Are you talking the Wordmarks on the front or the player's names on the back? Cuz we meant (Illwauk, correct me if you didn't mean this) was the player's names on the back. I know for fact that the last however many number of years they had these, the player's names were not in that font. They may have been like that in the 70's and part of the 80's before changing, but I don't know for sure. If someone can clarify this, please.

Why the hell did the Rockets have to wear red at home? I hate it when the home teams wear there colored uniforms and put the away team in white. If they had done it the right way, Rockets in white, Sixers in red, this would've been even more beautiful.

Yes, that was the font used for the names (or at least a reasonable facsmilie of said font) - roundy with serifs. Part of the uni's charm. I don't think that font made it out of the 80s, though. It was definitely gone by the time the 94 finals rolled around.

EDIT: Damn near impossible to find visual proof of the font on the net. I wish I still had the NBA handbook from the mid-80s where I remember seeing it.

Yes, that was the font used for the names (or at least a reasonable facsmilie of said font) - roundy with serifs. Part of the uni's charm. I don't think that font made it out of the 80s, though. It was definitely gone by the time the 94 finals rolled around.

EDIT: Damn near impossible to find visual proof of the font on the net. I wish I still had the NBA handbook from the mid-80s where I remember seeing it.

Something like this maybe??

mchale.jpg

Hmm I was going to say that the retro version of the uniform really exaggerates the waistband but looking at the older away uniforms from the 90s it doesn't seem like such a big exaggeration. The Rockets need to go back to those unis but slim down the waistband so it doesn't stick out too much.

Their current uniform is a walking billboard for Toyota!

The Rockets did, indeed, have something similar to that font -- I always thought it weird when watching those uniforms in use in clips from the 80's.

I'm not sure that the Sixers number font is correct -- I remember their sevens being more blocky, but that's me.

philly.png

Major improvement for the Sixers, then again, blank jerseys would be better than their current set. I like the retro look for the Rockets better than what they have now but their current look isn't bad either.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Those Sixers unis were very nice, but I'm partial to these guys (especially in white):

IversonRookie.jpg

(On a side note, there are times when Tank's site is completely invaluable. It can be very difficult to find pics of players in old uniforms, but there's normally a very good chance Tank his it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Funny, on the above photo, that chest wordmark is so busy and messy you can't tell that it says "Sixers" at all.

Both the Rockets and Sixers look a thousand times better in their throwbacks (both teams current uniforms are just awful). Seriously, that's a great looking basketball game!

Archived