This year's Pro Football HOF finalists

infrared41

Here they are. So who should get in?

Cris Carter ? Wide Receiver ? 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins

Fred Dean ? Defensive End ? 1975-1981 San Diego Chargers, 1981-85 San Francisco 49ers

Richard Dent ? Defensive End ? 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles

Marshall Goldberg ? Back ? 1939-1943, 1946-48 Chicago Cardinals

Randy Gradishar ? Linebacker ? 1974-1983 Denver Broncos

Darrell Green ? Cornerback ? 1983-2002 Washington Redskins

Russ Grimm ? Guard ? 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

Ray Guy ? Punter ? 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders

Bob Kuechenberg ? Guard ? 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins

Randall McDaniel ? Guard ? 1988-1999 Minnesota Vikings, 2000-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Art Monk ? Wide Receiver ? 1980-1993 Washington Redskins, 1994 New York Jets, 1995 Philadelphia Eagles

Andre Reed ? Wide Receiver ? 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

Paul Tagliabue ? Commissioner ? 1989-2006 National Football League

Derrick Thomas ? Linebacker ? 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs

Emmitt Thomas ? Cornerback ? 1966-1978 Kansas City Chiefs

Andre Tippett ? Linebacker ? 1982-1993 New England Patriots

Gary Zimmerman ? Tackle ? 1986-1992 Minnesota Vikings, 1993-97 Denver Broncos

Who's in? Who's out?

BB52Big.jpg

All are good candidates except Ray Guy (I don't think Punters belong in Canton.)

Here would be my five choices though

Chris Carter, Darrell Green, Bob Kuchenberg, Art Monk, and Derrick Thomas

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Derrick Thomas, Cris Carter, Darrell Green (He was one of the better DB's for upwards of 20 years), and surprisingly Ray Guy. I think kickers are underappreciated in the NFL, like closers in the baseball hall of fame are. Hopefully they'll start to recognize some kickers who should be in the hall.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

Does anyone else have a problem with commissioners being elected to the hall of fame? I could see if only one or two who really did something to advance the game, but it seems like all a guy has to do is be elected commissioner to reserve his spot in Canton. Really, what did Tagliabue do that was so great? He inherited a league that was already doing well and didn?t manage to f*** it up (well? he did, but not to Selig-Stern-Bettman levels). Why does he deserve to be elected for that?

Does anyone else have a problem with commissioners being elected to the hall of fame? I could see if only one or two who really did something to advance the game, but it seems like all a guy has to do is be elected commissioner to reserve his spot in Canton. Really, what did Tagliabue do that was so great? He inherited a league that was already doing well and didn?t manage to f*** it up (well? he did, but not to Selig-Stern-Bettman levels). Why does he deserve to be elected for that?

He oversaw the greatest period of economic growth in league history, and made the NFL a truly world league, that is watched globally every week (not just the Super Bowl)

To me, that's HOF worthy...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

My prediction for who gets a bust this year:

Marshall Goldberg

Darrell Green

Ray Guy

Art Monk

Andre Reed

Paul Tagliabue

Derrick Thomas

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Here's my SWAG as to the sensational seven...

Cris Carter

Richard Dent

Marshall Goldberg (as the annual candidate who reminds everyone the NFL wasn't launched in 1966)

Darrell Green

Ray Guy (and deservedly so; how this man hasn't made it to the HOF, I don't know)

Bob Kuechenberg

Art Monk (another one who should've been in years ago)

nav-logo.png

He oversaw the greatest period of economic growth in league history, and made the NFL a truly world league, that is watched globally every week (not just the Super Bowl)

To me, that's HOF worthy...

But was it because of his ingenuity? or did he simply inherit an already-profitable league right before a global economic and media boom?

I am not as familar with some of the older guys so will not comment on the whole list, but I gotta root for my fellow Kutztown alumnus Andre Reed!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Yeah, I'm not entirely on board with Tagliabue either. Granted he did "build the second story on the house" so to speak, but it would've been kind of hard to single-handedly screw up what Pete Rozelle had built before him.

Under Tagliabue the NFL has become bigger than the other three of the "Big 4" combined. The league is year round now. It never stops. I don't know how much credit the commissioner deserves for all that but if it's part of the criteria for being elected as a contributor, it's hard to argue against him.

BB52Big.jpg

Yeah, I'm not entirely on board with Tagliabue either. Granted he did "build the second story on the house" so to speak, but it would've been kind of hard to single-handedly screw up what Pete Rozelle had built before him.

Under Tagliabue the NFL has become bigger than the other three of the "Big 4" combined. The league is year round now. It never stops. I don't know how much credit the commissioner deserves for all that but if it's part of the criteria for being elected as a contributor, it's hard to argue against him.

Well see that's just it - I have real questions about how much of this 'innovation' is the result of Tagliabue, versus his staff (i.e., Roger Goodell, for example). Pete Rozelle was clearly the visionary, the risk-taker in the NFL's offices during the 60's and 70's. It was unquestioned. Paul Tagliabue meanwhile always at least gave the appearance of taking things far more deliberately, more methodically... he also was one to synthesize the ideas of others moreso than come up with them on his own volition. Don't get me wrong - someday he'll be in the HOF, and no one including me will be surprised by it. I just don't think he gets a rubber stamp during his first few years of eligibility.

nav-logo.png

Archived