Redskins to wear #21 in Pro Bowl

darkshadow1031

Redskins Chris Cooley and Chris Samuels will both wear #21 in the Pro Bowl in memory of ____ ______.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3210496

Thoughts???

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

The NFL should retire the number 40 for all teams in honor of Pat Tillman, in my opinion. The dude sacrificed his life for a country that doesn't care. It's downright shameful.

I'm not trying to be insensitive, but Shawn Taylor's just a dude who got shot. However, I have no problem with his teammates honoring him.

Pat Tillman = Hero that was shot and killed.

Sean Taylor = Just another showboat that was shot and killed.

I don't care if you do think I'm insensitive.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having his teammates wear the same number in the Pro Bowl seems OK.

However, no matter how tragic or shocking his death was, they should not retire his number. Personally, I'm against teams retiring numbers as is. Taylor's past behavior certainly eliminates him from consideration. Besides, as already noted, there are more deserving players for such an honor.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I think that when teams dedicate a season to a player who has died, that it seems like their grasping at straws. So basically what you're saying is that you don't give a flying hoot until such and such a player died and now you're going to try. I don't have a problem with a team wearing a patch to a fallen teammate, because that's someone who's become a family member to you. I don't have a problem with either player wearing 21 for a nothing game that no one cares about and really how many people are going to watch it. I just wonder if all these tributes become at times a way for some people to say, "Look at me. I'm a caring person." We've all lost friends and family, and many of us just work our way through it quietly and respectfully.

Will Samuels have to report as an ineligible receiver every down? Or do they throw that rule out the window for the Pro Bowl?

I have to commend them for what they are doing, which is: "Cooley and Samuels each will wear his own name on the back of the jersey, above the No. 21. The jerseys will be auctioned after the game, with the proceeds benefiting the Sean Taylor Memorial Trust Fund that was established for Taylor's daughter, Jackie."

Are you f***in' serious? Wasn't dude a millionaire? Playing in the pro's I'm more than sure that his child/children should have been well taken care of before anybody thought about him dying, even himself! It's just down right stupid when someone get's to the pro level and actually obtains the status that would grant him a large contract that before most of them take care of what matters like their children or family to whatever extent, the first thing they can think of is materalist s**t like cars, houses, jewelery, etc.... The shameful state of most young men in any sport is that they don't learn to value their money because they are led to believe that it will never run out one day. That's why most of the veteran players of different leagues have gone to lengths to set-up various programs to help these "athletic children" to cope with the transition into reality once their playing day's are over! And if your stupid enough to have a contract worth millions and all you can think about is what kind of rim's should go on what car you just bought from some far reaching european country, your priorities are seriously screwed up my friend! And as far as the Pro Bowl, issue goes...Why can't they just continue to wear the decal on their helmet since I'm more than sure other team's will be removing them being that all the helmet's get touched up before the bowl anyway! I agree that the NFL shouldn't make every team in the league where the decal it's just not right! Helmet's today are already too cluttered up as it is much less having a big black sticker with white bold numbers on it symbolizing a rememberance of death! Picture the Broncos, who was forced to combine their two 'lost' players numbers to make room for Taylor's, decal. Then on top of that you have the NFL shield, the American flag, the f***in' "Warning" label (c'mon it's professional here! Why?), the player's own number and if your a QB, you gotta' have that dumb-as-hell neon green sticker!!

The NFL should retire the number 40 for all teams in honor of Pat Tillman, in my opinion. The dude sacrificed his life for a country that doesn't care. It's downright shameful.

Where do you get the idea that the country doesn't care? Don't confuse being against the war with not caring about the soldiers fighting it. And what makes Pat Tillman more deserving of a lifelong tribute than say Sgt. Michael R. Sturdivant, 20, of Conway, Ark. who was KIA in Iraq last week? I am not taking a thing away from Pat Tillman but he is no different than PFC Donald Haywood USMC of Prestonsburg, KY who was KIA in Viet Nam in 1969. Let's not get carried away just because we all know who Pat Tillman was. He's no more important than any other soldier who gave his life for his country. Drafted or not...

BB52Big.jpg

I think the the death of Pat Tillman is different because he left the life of luxury and being a pro athlete to answer what he felt was his duty to America. I think fair or unfair many people admire that he gave up his NFL dream to help the country. Pat Tillman may or may not be any more important that any other soldier to quote infrared41, but people do admire that he gave up the NFL for his sense of duty.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Agreed. Tillman could've been the next Ronnie Lott type player, as he was great just before he left. Then he dies in action, and the league lets teams pay repsect for one week, before fining Jake Plummer because he was honoring his friend. And now when the NFl has Sean Taylor die during the season, they let two players wear his number in the pro bowl, and just about every player in the league to wear that decal. The way I see it, it's not about if you die or not, it's if you're popular. Good job NFL!

Although that might've just been the previous commissioner compared to Roger though.

If it was Tagliabue who put tried to put the kibosh on Plummer, I have one thing to say: Good riddance.

Best point that's been brought up. If you people want to blame someone for the lack of tributes, blame the man who wouldn't let JUST ONE PERSON wear a #40 decal on his helmet. So yeah, don't blame the players because I'm sure that Plummer wasn't the only one who wanted to show tribute to a hero...blame the person who blocked it.

As for the tribute to Tay;pr, I think it's cool. If they want to do this for what basically amounts to an exhibition game, then so be it. It's their prerogaative.

I think the the death of Pat Tillman is different because he left the life of luxury and being a pro athlete to answer what he felt was his duty to America. I think fair or unfair many people admire that he gave up his NFL dream to help the country. Pat Tillman may or may not be any more important that any other soldier to quote infrared41, but people do admire that he gave up the NFL for his sense of duty.

-Dan

And good for him but it doesn't make him any more special than any other solider. It's an all volunteer armed forces. They all made the same choice Tillman did. Was his sacrifice greater because he gave up a life of luxury to make it? Some might argue yes and they may have a point but I think we have already done plenty to honor Pat Tillman. I was simply addressing the idea that the NFL should retire his number.

BB52Big.jpg

Best point that's been brought up. If you people want to blame someone for the lack of tributes, blame the man who wouldn't let JUST ONE PERSON wear a #40 decal on his helmet. So yeah, don't blame the players because I'm sure that Plummer wasn't the only one who wanted to show tribute to a hero...blame the person who blocked it.

The two positions are not necessarily in conflict. That was too far in one direction, this is way too far in the other.

I don't have a problem with the NFL or any indvidual team retiring a certain player's number for whatever reason. But I do believe that Tillman, was not above anybody else just because of the profession that he chose to be in or better yet leave behind! What would have been the case if say Alex Rodriguez and Kobe Bryant would have enlisted and died along with Pat Tillman! Their respective leagues would have done the same thing in their honor and they have every right to do so but just because they share a spotlight that puts them in a different category other than "regualr folk" doesn't make them any different from someone that was an office supervisor that decided one day to go and fight for his country! I'm not an advocate of the war. Personally I think it's foolish and a waste of time but I do however support our troops and ''feel'' for them because they are fighting in a modern day Vietnam for a goverment who doesn't give a :censored: about them just oil! I never heard of any insurgent stopping the execution of a soldier just because he's famous in the USA! If anything, it would be a trophy kill to say the least that they could take out a famous person, I mean what better way to hurt the USA than to kill an icon of any sort! How do you think a Vietmanese soldier would have felt if he knew he snuffed out Muhammad Ali? I've had cousins that died in both Vietnam and the first Iraq war as I have a cousin currently enlisted in the war now. I have seen the effects that it takes on my family and their siblings so I don't approve of them dying, I don't think any soldier wants to die but they know the consequence in enlisting into the army. My relatives that died in the wars all enlisted on their own by choice not force! Their parents honor them in the way that fits them but on the field of battle Pat Tillman was not Pat Tillman the Arizona Cardnial, he was Pat Tillman the Amercian Soldier!

Will Samuels have to report as an ineligible receiver every down? Or do they throw that rule out the window for the Pro Bowl?

I have to commend them for what they are doing, which is: "Cooley and Samuels each will wear his own name on the back of the jersey, above the No. 21. The jerseys will be auctioned after the game, with the proceeds benefiting the Sean Taylor Memorial Trust Fund that was established for Taylor's daughter, Jackie."

Are you f***in' serious? Wasn't dude a millionaire? Playing in the pro's I'm more than sure that his child/children should have been well taken care of before anybody thought about him dying, even himself! It's just down right stupid when someone get's to the pro level and actually obtains the status that would grant him a large contract that before most of them take care of what matters like their children or family to whatever extent, the first thing they can think of is materalist s**t like cars, houses, jewelery, etc.... The shameful state of most young men in any sport is that they don't learn to value their money because they are led to believe that it will never run out one day. That's why most of the veteran players of different leagues have gone to lengths to set-up various programs to help these "athletic children" to cope with the transition into reality once their playing day's are over! And if your stupid enough to have a contract worth millions and all you can think about is what kind of rim's should go on what car you just bought from some far reaching european country, your priorities are seriously screwed up my friend! And as far as the Pro Bowl, issue goes...Why can't they just continue to wear the decal on their helmet since I'm more than sure other team's will be removing them being that all the helmet's get touched up before the bowl anyway! I agree that the NFL shouldn't make every team in the league where the decal it's just not right! Helmet's today are already too cluttered up as it is much less having a big black sticker with white bold numbers on it symbolizing a rememberance of death! Picture the Broncos, who was forced to combine their two 'lost' players numbers to make room for Taylor's, decal. Then on top of that you have the NFL shield, the American flag, the f***in' "Warning" label (c'mon it's professional here! Why?), the player's own number and if your a QB, you gotta' have that dumb-as-hell neon green sticker!!

The Broncos didn't do that because of Taylor's decal. They designed that sticker that way originally.

Roy Williams, who was named to the Pro Bowl roster in Taylor's place, is wearing #21, a classy and meaningful tribute given that he in a sense 'represents' Sean Taylor in this game. As for the other players, that's all fine and good but I'm also of the mind that the tributes have run on a little long.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

From UniWatch:

This just in: All players in the Pro Bowl will wear Sean Taylor?s No. 21, plus the competition committee will consider a proposal to have the entire league wear No. 21 next season, and the American flag will be redesigned to have 21 stars and 21 stripes. ?

From UniWatch:
This just in: All players in the Pro Bowl will wear Sean Taylor?s No. 21, plus the competition committee will consider a proposal to have the entire league wear No. 21 next season, and the American flag will be redesigned to have 21 stars and 21 stripes. ?

I love sarcasm.

B)

Redskins Chris Cooley and Chris Samuels will both wear #21 in the Pro Bowl in memory of ____ ______.

Thoughts???

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

I'm not trying to be insensitive, but Shawn Taylor's just a dude who got shot. However, I have no problem with his teammates honoring him.

the word i was thinking was prick, but insensitive works too

Thoughts???

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

Well, I was going to use the word thug instead of showboat, but that would really be insensitive.

Thoughts???

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

Well, I was going to use the word thug instead of showboat, but that would really be insensitive.

and incorrect, but hey... who cares

Archived