Further evidence of the NHL's problems in the USA

spyboy1

I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area Minnesota. You know, the place that Sports Illustrated dubbed the new "Hockeytown"?

And for the life of me, I can't buy a copy of The Hockey News!

Our local "newsstand" Shinder's used to have issues in their racks that were sometimes two months old, Barnes & Noble cannot be depended on to carry it. Sometimes they dont' have it, and if they do, it's out of date.

And now, Borders, the one place where you could reliably buy one that was actually current, does not carry it any more.

I can get six different imported English Football magazines from the UK, but I can't get a Canadian magazine that covers hockey less than 300 miles from the Canadian border. :cursing:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Spyboy... hmm ah I see your problem... I used to have a hard time buying the THN mag years ago till I decide to get a subscription for the THN... I been a subscriber since March 1993..... so the only way ya can get the THN mag is to get a subscription for that... hope that help ya eh?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

The Barnes & Noble here used to carry about three copies of each week's issue and more often than not, they would be hidden in the back of the rack. The store also had its difficulties in keeping the magazine stocked, as you have mentioned, so I became a THN subscriber last year. It was well worth it.

I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area Minnesota. You know, the place that Sports Illustrated dubbed the new "Hockeytown"?

And for the life of me, I can't buy a copy of The Hockey News!

Our local "newsstand" Shinder's used to have issues in their racks that were sometimes two months old, Barnes & Noble cannot be depended on to carry it. Sometimes they dont' have it, and if they do, it's out of date.

And now, Borders, the one place where you could reliably buy one that was actually current, does not carry it any more.

I can get six different imported English Football magazines from the UK, but I can't get a Canadian magazine that covers hockey less than 300 miles from the Canadian border. :cursing:

I really don't see how that is an NHL problem. THN is not really an impulse buy and anyone who reads it is probably part of the choir being preached to. Plus, the subscription is cheaper. One thing that hurts THN (and it's brethren, Sports Weekly, Baseball Digest, etc.) is that the stats are always way behind rendering them kind of moot.

That's not the half of it. It turns out that, in terms of hotel space booked in metro Atlanta last weekend, the NHL All-Star Game was upstaged by almost a 3-to-1 ratio... by a poultry- and egg-industry convention.

The fact that the NHL held it's all-star game already is evidence of the NHL's problems: I honestly didn't realize it'd been held already, and if it has, I'm not that concerned that I missed it.

nav-logo.png

That's not the half of it. It turns out that, in terms of hotel space booked in metro Atlanta last weekend, the NHL All-Star Game was upstaged by almost a 3-to-1 ratio... by a poultry- and egg-industry convention.

The fact that the NHL held it's all-star game already is evidence of the NHL's problems: I honestly didn't realize it'd been held already, and if it has, I'm not that concerned that I missed it.

Maybe if it wasn't on Versus.....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So if you didn't know it was coming and aren't upset you missed it, what's the big deal? If it had been advertised in the local paper and/or had ads during the news (or whatever show it is you watch) would that have made a difference? If it had been on ESPN/ABC/NBC, would you have stopped if you had came across it? Just because you missed it doesn't mean the league missed you.

People should stop trying to make the NHL out to be something it is not: A relevant American sport. It's a niche league and I would like to think everyone knows that. Those of us that follow it and enjoy it do so and try to keep the league going. Those that don't aren't as important to the sport as they seem to think they are.

People still buy sports-related magazines these days? I haven't paid for a magazine in years, and only buy a newspaper if there's a headline worth saving.

I wonder how long it will be before newspapers/magazines will be out of production, thanks to technological advances.....

People still buy sports-related magazines these days? I haven't paid for a magazine in years, and only buy a newspaper if there's a headline worth saving.

I wonder how long it will be before newspapers/magazines will be out of production, thanks to technological advances.....

Don't know if you noticed, but you have four extra periods there.

The death of the newspaper is tricky. Yes, some local papers are sure to fold, but so many of them are owned by larger companies (Gannett, Hearst, etc.) that they are able to be subsidized by larger papers. And some papers, the WSJ, NYT, and Washington Post among them, make profits that many other private companies would be jealous of. Online ad sales are one big reason those papers are still able to be circulated in print, but I think they continue to make enough money on ads all by themselves.

As long as the NHL is making money and not losing it, they'll be fine. It's better to have a small reach but be in the black versus having a large reach and bleeding money. I don't know their financials, but I assume the NHL is at least solvent.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So if you didn't know it was coming and aren't upset you missed it, what's the big deal? If it had been advertised in the local paper and/or had ads during the news (or whatever show it is you watch) would that have made a difference? If it had been on ESPN/ABC/NBC, would you have stopped if you had came across it? Just because you missed it doesn't mean the league missed you.

People should stop trying to make the NHL out to be something it is not: A relevant American sport. It's a niche league and I would like to think everyone knows that. Those of us that follow it and enjoy it do so and try to keep the league going. Those that don't aren't as important to the sport as they seem to think they are.

It's not a big deal, which is precisely my point - the strike took the NHL out of the consciousness of almost all but the most avid hockey fans, which is sad. Nowadays I admit to casual fandom, periodically checking the standings and catching the occasional game on TV, but had I known it was coming up I'd have definitely watched. Prior to the strike however I regularly attended Carolina Hurricanes games, was involved in local amateur hockey to an extent, and years ago did PA announcing for an ECHL club. The strike didn't cause my interest in the game to sour, but if they can't find a way to reach me as an avid sports fan in general, something's wrong.

Yeah, I'm sure the league will survive just fine without guys like me watching its all-star game or attending the local team's games. But imagine how much better it'd be doing in terms of a business perspective if they did.

nav-logo.png

I knew that the All-Star game was being played. I found it interesting that I had to dig for a final score. I thought ESPN would've had it on the front page, but no. I was turned off by the baseball strike in 94, but the fact they were still accessible on TV easily kept my interest somewhat in tact. Hockey needs a more common TV presence to build interest again. Other than a friend of mine being a hockey fan with Center Ice, no one I know even talks about the NHL.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

How about the fact that USA Hockey is :censored:ing up the sport in America?

How so?

In 2006, I believe....

1.) When shorthanded, you are no longer allowed to dump the puck. Automatic icing if it's done.

2.) In front of the net, you are allowed to lift your opponents stick only once.

3.) You are basically not allowed to use your stick for anything except passing and shooting. If it even touches someone else, you'll get a penalty.

4.) Coaches have to wear helmets on the ice now.

And the fact that kids aren't allowed to learn to hit until Pee-Wees has screwed up our game since the 80's. THAT's the reason you have so many injuries, hitting from behind, head contact, etc.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

How so?

In 2006, I believe....

1.) When shorthanded, you are no longer allowed to dump the puck. Automatic icing if it's done.

2.) In front of the net, you are allowed to lift your opponents stick only once.

3.) You are basically not allowed to use your stick for anything except passing and shooting. If it even touches someone else, you'll get a penalty.

And the fact that kids aren't allowed to learn to hit until Pee-Wees has screwed up our game since the 80's. THAT's the reason you have so many injuries, hitting from behind, head contact, etc.

Do something about it then.

As for your number 4, coaches should have to wear helmets on the ice. A puck could hit the glass, be tipped, hit the post/crossbar and have an awkward unexpected bounce or something. There is also the fact that a coach or anyone who doesn't wear a helmet could trip and fall or something. Bill Masterton died when his head hit the ice after a collision and wearing a helmet could have prevented that.

How so?

In 2006, I believe....

Do something about it then.

As for your number 4, coaches should have to wear helmets on the ice. A puck could hit the glass, be tipped, hit the post/crossbar and have an awkward unexpected bounce or something. There is also the fact that a coach or anyone who doesn't wear a helmet could trip and fall or something. Bill Masterton died when his head hit the ice after a collision and wearing a helmet could have prevented that.

Do something about it? I haven't played since I graduated from high school last June.

As for the coaches, the reason they put that rule into affect, is probably because some coach (a guy who doesn't know how to skate and only became a coach so his kid would get all the ice time he wanted) fell on the ice and hit his head. I've played since I was 3 and have never heard, been told or seen a coach get hit in the head by anything.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived