Tyree's Catch

You Got Zung

Hey, we're all creative people here, I suggest a naming contest. The Manning escape and Tyree catch is, in my 25+ years of sports-watching experience, the greatest play I have ever seen.

However, it needs a name! I think it was more dramatic then "the catch", "the drive" and "the play".

Anybody have any ideas as to what it should be called?

I don't have any ideas yet... I'll post one when I can think of one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta find a name that gives credit on both ends. Because while the actual slinging and location of the ball may have been somewhat lucky, it took great effort on Manning's part to escape the defense and great effort on Tyree's part to haul it in.

How 'bout "The Escape"?

Had Eli been sacked, the Patriots would have won. Had Tyree not made the catch, the Patriots would have won. Instead, the sack was avoided and the catch was made and the Giants "escaped" Glendale with a victory.

That's about as good as you're gonna get from me. :P

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Gotta find a name that gives credit on both ends. Because while the actual slinging and location of the ball may have been somewhat lucky, it took great effort on Manning's part to escape the defense and great effort on Tyree's part to haul it in.

How 'bout "The Escape"?

Had Eli been sacked, the Patriots would have won. Had Tyree not made the catch, the Patriots would have won. Instead, the sack was avoided and the catch was made and the Giants "escaped" Glendale with a victory.

That's about as good as you're gonna get from me. :P

You're close...how about "The Great Escape" ? Only problem is it only addresses Manning's part. Back to the drawing board.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The Grab.

The Hook-Up.

The Connection.

I get it! :P

But yeah, I'd just call it The Escape. I still can't believe that Eli somehow eluded the entire Patriots defensive line, made that throw, and Tyree made the catch. Just unbelievable.

I was surprised that Joe Buck did not do his typical, over the top network shill job and name Eli's part of that play "The Prison Break"...

"That out of this world play by Manning, forever to be dubbed "The Prison Break" will go down as one of the most memorable plays in Super Bowl history. Almost as memorable as Fox's own version of Prison Break...Mondays at 8pm, 7pm Central. Wouldn't you agree Troy?"

"HO-LY SH**!"

Seconded

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Tyree'd!

Actually I just screamed "Harrison got Jim'd! BY DAVID TYREE!"

(Jim'd is the equivalent of Mossing someone, but Jimming came before Mossing. Kids know what "Mossing" somone is.)

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

This is a bit long, but I rather liked it:

"One GIANT Leap for MANning kind" (a play on words referring to Neil Armstrong's "One giant leap for mankind" when he landed on the moon back in 1969), that can be the name for Tyree's catch.

As for Eli's Escape, I think "Eli's Escape" works, has nice alliteration, or perhaps "The Houdini".

Bill

Archived